“Good place to sleep” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Highview Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Highview Hotel
You added Highview Hotel to your Saves list
Karatu | 94, Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania   |
Offers & Announcements
Tanzania Special Offer
Birtavarre, Norway
“Good place to sleep”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for three nights in the beginning of June 2013 when we where at safari at the nearby national parks.

The hotel is beautiful located in quiet area with a nice view. The hotel area is well maintained and has the property you might expect here.

The staff is very friendly and helpful and makes you feel welcome to the hotel.

Our room was in the upper floor. There is no elevator, but the staff carry your luggage to the room. The room is small and basic with two beds (with mosquito nets), one little table, two chairs, some shelfs and a bathroom with WC, shower and basin. Be prepared for low water pressure in the shower.

But we had good nights sleep in the quiet rooms. Exactly what we expected and wanted.

The restaurant offer a basic breakfast (not like what I'm used to in Europe/Norway). Here you get some eggs, white bread and jam. The dinner was tasty and various from day to day. The lunchboxes for the safari was also basic and we could not choose by ourself what we wanted to have in the boxes. For example we got cold chicken that was about 6 hours in a warm car before lunchtime. We didn't dare to eat it because we aren't used to the african bacteria. And we were cautious with the rest of the food also and did not experience any stomach trouble during our stay in Africa.

We did not use the pool or other of the facilities.

Tanzania is in high risk area of malaria. During our stay at Highview hotel we saw only a few (two - three) mosquitoes. According to the hotel, is there no place nearby where mosquitoes can breed.

We had a nice stay and would consider coming back again later.

Room Tip: We liked our room in the upper floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I booked a 7 day safari with Zara Tanzania Adventure. I visited Tarangire Nationalpark, Lake Manyara National Park, Ngorongoro Conversation Area and Serengeti Nationalpark. Through my trip I was accommodated in Highview Hotel in Karatu (2 nights), Ngorongoro Wildcamp (1night), Serengeti Wildcamp (2nights) and Ikoma Wildcamp (1night) – all are properties of Zara Tours. I booked the safari for one person and as I arrived they told me I will do the safari together with another girl who also booked for one person if that is okay with me. We had a lot of fun, separate rooms in the camps and the best driver! I only can recommend Ally. ;)
Highview Hotel is a 15 minutes drive outside of Karatu, a small town near the Ngorongoro Conversation Gate. I stayed there the first and the last night of my trip. It is on a altitude of 1600m and during my stay (End of July) it was very cold during morning and evening. But outside they had those small mobile fireplaces and also lit a bonfire – that helped a lot against the cold! They also have a pool and a SPA, some other guest enjoyed the pool, but well it was way too cold for me. Though I tried the SPA on my last day before departure and only can recommend it – Christine the SPA therapist did well with my back. After all those bumping roads and the dirt it was soooooooo good!
The staff in all properties was friendly and helpful.
View the pages for the wildcamps for my other reviews to this trip. My favorite places: Highview Hotel and Serengeti Wildcamp.
NB: I already plan to come back to Tanzania, next time I will climb the Kilimanjaro. It is on my bucket list and during my trip I heard many stories and saw photos from other guest who climbed the mountain with Zara Tours in combination with their safari – and they were all satisfied with the organisation and guides/porters. So I know now the tour operator...only the money and the time for it are missing. But I will come back Tanzania, you got me!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

The Highview Hotel is owned and operated by the Zaratours group (www.zaratours.com). Most guests seem therefore to be on an organized safaritrip when they stay here. The hotel is located on a dirt road near the small town of Karatu. Karatu has not much to offer tourists, but ATMs do provide cash. And cash is handy when travelling in Tanzania. Karatu is situated close to the main gate to Ngorogoro Conservation Area, which leads on to the Ngorogoro Crater and to Serengeti National park. A visit to the Tarangire National Park is done just as easily from a hotel i Arusha.We found the rooms at Highview Hotel to be clean and nice but rather small. Opening a suitcase was possible, but then the available floorspace was gone! (Especially in the triple room). The hotel does enjoy a nice view and the sunset can be viewed from all rooms. We enjoyed that! The pool was clean but cold. At 1600m above sea level the air was also quite cool in the early afternoon in mid July. Breakfast was made to order - as was to be expected. Dinners were OK, but no more. Lunchboxes were OK, but no more. Payment by card is accepted at a surcharge of 5%, but is dependent of sufficient strength of telephone signal. At the time of paying our bills the system did not work, but the staff was kind enough to send the bill with our driver to our next Zaratours location.Overall a pleasant stay

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms enjoy a slightly better view and are a bit more airy. Possibly also less mosqiutos.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have stayed at Highview many times. The rooms are always clean, the food is always good, the service is always excellent. Sunset is spectacular. Tried the new spa this year, and it was excellent, and the price for the massage was very reasonable. I also like that they support local charities. They are good to those of us visiting, and to children in need, too.

Room Tip: Remember that you are a mile high, so the climb to the second floor can take your breath away :-)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while doing a 3 day safari trip with Zara. The hotel was very nice, the rooms were comfortable, and the area was very quiet. There is free wi-fi in the lobby, as well as tea/sweets occasionally. The restaurant was also very good - although with most places we stayed in Africa, we wished for more fresh fruit/veg.

The hotel is quite a ways out from the closest town (down a dirt road), so once you're there, there aren't many options - unless you want to hire a taxi.

Overall, a good stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Asker, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed 4 nights on a prebooked Safari from Norway and found the hotel very pleasent and charming. The hotel was situated nicely on a beautiful hillsite with green sorroundings and has a good relaxing area with a swimming pool.
The rooms were nice and clean and we slept very well during the nights, especially after the safary experience and a couple of Kilimanjaro beers with the dinner.Mosquito- nets were provided and the beds were very good. Electricity were present all time and warm water had to be turned on.
Mosquitos were neither seen in or close to the room which was at the second floor.

The staff at the hotel was very pleasent, professional and helpful during our entire stay. They were easy to talk to and we could try our few phrases of Swahili. We felt a warm welcome each time we returned from a safari drive (the safari itself was beyond expectations).

We were the only guests (off season visit - it is recommended) for 3 of the nights and the breakfast was excellent and made to order. The dinner was good/very good and the lunch boxes was ok. Again the service was excellent with a staff eager to help us all time.

The hospitality and charm of this hotel made this visit enjoyable and a place to return to. It is easy to recommend this hotel. The hotel is also situasted very convenient close to Ngorongoro, Lake Manyara and Tarangire national parks which we visited. This hotel offers great value for the money compared to other hotels/lodges inside the parks.

Room Tip: No mosquitoes on the second floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ATL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Highview is an appropriate name for this property: sitting atop a hill looking down on a small valley and other neighboring hills, the setting is quite peaceful and beautiful. The rooms sit high above the whole terrain and the open hallways offer a nice sitting area for guests. The rooms are quite adequate with standing fans and their own water heaters. We never lost power while at this property (2 nights). It was a great place from which to based exploration of Lake Manyara, the Serengeti NP, and the Ngorongoro Conservation Area.

The restaurant offered a nice buffet for every meal. The bar area had a TV (international sports played while we were there) and had a pool table.

The staff was very friendly and eager to help, including the guys who helped with luggage, always ready when you needed them!

The pool was nice (the water was actually cold!) and had its own bar. Great area to hang out and relax after a long safari day!

Upstairs by the restaurant and reception area, there was another sitting area to sip on a drink while watching sunset and the surrounding landscape. This area was the area where wi-fi signal was available at its strongest. Wi-fi didn't reach the rooms (as in all the hotels I went to).

The hotel also had a spa that I heard was pretty good.

This was my favorite hotel of the 3 I stayed at during my visit to Tanzania. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed equally good!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Zainab A, Owner at Highview Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Hi,
We really appreciate the comment you posted on Trip Advisor, Highview hotel page. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your trip with us. We are currently working to expand the Wi-fi coverage at the hotel to reach the rooms as well. You are welcome again to stay with us.

Best regards,

Zainab Ansell.

Been to Highview Hotel? Share your experiences!