“Great Safari Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ndutu Wilderness Camp

Ndutu Wilderness Camp
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ndutu Wilderness Camp
Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania   |
Delaware
“Great Safari Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed our two nights at this gem of a camp. It made our safari experience all the more authentic. I was amazed at the meals that were provided, we had some of our best meals in Africa here. They had a lovely wine selection which was very reasonable priced. About a 1/2 before dinner each evening they set a nice fire where you could join and meet your other camp mates.

As was mentioned by other posters, our tent was roomy, well equipped and clean. I was a little worried about creepy crawlies, but didn't see one bug. On our first evening a baby wildebeest kept running through the camp, must have gotten separated from his mother. On the second evening we heard a lot of noise outside of our tent, when we looked out there were a herd of zebra grazing and then the next morning there was a male lion in the back of our tent. The Masai Warrior and other staff chased him off. These were all great experiences that I will remember for some time to come.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We spent a week at this wonderful camp and can't say enough about the experience. We live in South Africa half of every year so we have camped in a lot of places. This is a small camp with about 12 regular staff. Every person wears a variety of hats. From our "Masai Warrior" who watched over the camp at night and felt compelled to escort me every time I walked out of the tent in the early morning hours to the camp cook who turned out meals we could not believe, it was a great experience. We stayed in much more elegant accommodations before and after and treasured this camp above all else. getting to know the staff is the best of all. The 2 "Chefs" turned out food in the restricted conditions and limited foodstuffs that we wished for in more sophisticated environments. We really had a great time and their home-made Dried Beef snacks ate enough to make a person weep! really hated to say "Good-Bye".
Make sure you leave your tip with the manager. It needs to be distributed among all the people who forsake their families to spend the entire season there.
Even though the shower is only 20 L per person... it was HOT and on request when we returned at the end of the day. Better than we found in Zanzibar by a long-shot!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My favorite tented camp of my three safaris in East Africa! The location is beautiful and close to both Lake Ndutu and Lake Masek, giving us great options for game drives. Tents are large, comfortable and clean. The camp is positioned around beautiful acacia trees giving many photo opportunities right in camp. Really though, it was the people that made the experience superior. The staff was so friendly and genuinely interested in how our day went that you couldn't help but develop relationships. We made lots of friends we hope to keep in touch with.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed in this and the sister camp run by the same company in the Serengeti and had absolutely wonderful experiences at both. I was leery at first of staying in a mobile tented camp, the prospect of these accommodations actually scared me, but now looking back I'm completely thrilled with the experience.

Given that this is a green camp, everything is run on solar, but for the kitchen which is gas and a generator. However, we were still able to have a light in rooms at night and recharge all of our gear in the common tent area, no problem.

The tents are large and beds very comfortable. You'll get a wonderful night's sleep, unless you're like me and listening to the entertainment of the many animals who'll pass right by, or through, camp while you're sleeping!

The food was exceptional. I never thought we'd eat as well as we did. Everything from marinated lamb to pasta salad, spaghetti, beef stew. Always hot and hearty, very fresh veggies, impeccably prepared.

As you're sleeping in the midst of everything, game rides start as soon as you leave your tent. There was actually a cheetah mom and 4 cubs, not one minute ride away from the camp area when we were there. This is as "in the bush" as you can get, and it's a very rewarding experience.

The staff are kind, thoughtful and invested in you enjoying your stay. There is nothing they won't do for you and they are very quick and accommodating in fulfilling our requests.

The bucket showers take some getting used to, and not having running sink water is a pain at times, but otherwise this isn't roughing it like I expected. I'd go again in a heartbeat and stay here again without hesitating.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
San Angelo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I didn't give high marks for cleanliness due to the fact that you're right there camping in the dirt and wind-which is not the staff's fault. The tents were wonderful and very accommodating. The power situation needs attention for photographers with our laptops, power supplies to be charged, cell phones, etc , I was here six nights and was very impressed with the food. The managements and staff were great! Again, I cannot say enough about the wonderful food and I usually never mention food cu it's not a number one priority for me.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Ndutu Wilderness Camp? Share your experiences!