We stayed here for 2 nights for our visit to the Crater.
We were fairly pleased with this lodge. It was just about as expected. Great setting, OK rooms.
The setting is spectacular, right on the rim overlooking the crater!
We had a room on the second floor (#55) with a wonderful view. It looked to us like every room on the second floor would have a great view of the crater.
Not sure about the ones on the first floor.
The rooms were pretty nice, a bit scuffed up but clean, fairly large with a desk area, good storage space, and a balcony.
Our room had one double bed (really two twins pushed together) and one twin bed.
The beds were very hard.
The bathroom was very large, with an oversized shower. The water never did get very hot, we never even turned on the cold water for the shower.
There was a hairdryer. No TV, no air conditioning, but you definitely did not need AC. It gets very cool up there.
The hotel offers internet for $5 per hour or $25 for 24 hours.
We had dinner and lunch in the huge dining room. We were very pleased with the buffets! They had a fantastic salad bar! Lunch was a full buffet, with many meat dishes, sides, pasta, rice, fruits, cheeses, etc. You also had a choice of two soups from a menu.
For dinner you ordered off a menu for your soup and entree, and the buffet was still available but with less items available, but still the great salad!
Beer was $5, mixed drinks - $8-10, bottled water - $3.
When the restaurant was crowded for dinner service was very slow.
They packed us a filling breakfast to eat down in the crater next to a hippo pool! This was wonderful!
We were able to exchange money at the reception desk and they gave you an increasingly better rate with the more you exchanged.
We were overall pleased with this lodge and would recommend staying here as it has such a good location.
- Also Known As:
- Ngorongoro Serena Safari Hotel
- Ngorongoro Serena Safari Hotel Ngorongoro Conservation Area
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched on the jagged rim of the crater, wreathed in morning mist, camouflaged in river-stone and cloaked in indigenous creepers, the Ngorongoro Serena Safari Lodge is a triumph of ecological and architectural fusion. Sensitively constructed so as to take nothing from its environment whilst affording endless vistas over the heat-shimmering reaches of the crater below, the clustered boulder-built buildings of the Lodge hug the crater rim, linked by rope-lashed timber walkways that skirt the buttressed roots of ancient, liana-hung trees. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, EasyToBook and Otel so you can book your Ngorongoro Serena Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.