“Beautiful rooms” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Masek Tented Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Masek Tented Camp
You added Masek Tented Camp to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Masek Lake, Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Beautiful rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

They call it a tented camp, but it is much more than that. The tents are really beautiful rooms built up on a platform, with a huge comfortable bed and a full bathroom comtained within it. The option of an outside shower is also great.

Staff was friendly and food very nice. Couldn't fault this place at all. We had the added bonus of a giraffe chomping on a tree outside our window on both nights we stayed.

Free wifi is provided - it is very patchy but even the option of patchy wifi in an area this remote exceeds what i expected.

Would recommend this place for anyone heading to Lake Masek.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I spent 3 nights at the Lake Masek Tented Camp in January 2013. The overall experience was fantastic. The camp overlooks Lake Masek with hippos in easy view from the deck of the main building. The deck is comfortable and a great place to enjoy a drink or relax or shoot some photos. The manager is totally involved and gets to know the visitors as they arrive and makes everyone feel welcome and cared for. She is there from breakfast until late at night making sure guests are enjoying themselves. The staff are also friendly and attentive and everyone seems to take the extra step to make this hotel a gem. My mother was nursing a cold and staff provided her tea or water and honey as soon as they saw her arrive.

My son and I were in the tent Kifaru which is one of the more remote tents. Still it was maybe 3 minutes to the main lodge. The accommodation was impeccable and very comfortable with a wonderful outdoor shower and plenty of hot water. The beds were comfortable and mosquitoes did not get through all the netting both for the tent and for the bed. Food was the best we experienced on our 10 day trip with lots of fresh fruit, tasty meats and veggie dishes. The tent experience gives you the opportunity to hear the night life of the local animals in full splendor be it bird calls or hyenas celebrating a kill nearby. All in all the Masek Tented Camp capped a wonderful 10 days of Safari for me and my family.

Within a 15 minute radius of the camp, we saw Lions, Elephants, Cheetahs, Hippos, Hyenas, Wildebeests, Zebras, Bat Eared Foxes and dozens of birds.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Tel Aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

In the middle of nowhere, overlooking Masek lake, this luxury tented lodge, is an amazing surprise!
Tents are spacious, beutifully decorated, and comfortable.
Outside shower is fun, with hot water at any time.
Made us feel part of nature, and pampered at the same time.
Staff was friendly and attentive. Food was delicious, too.
At night you are accompanied to the tent, by a staff member, felt like a night safari!
Unfortunatly, we only stayed for one night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Evesham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This luxury tented camp is just that - luxury! The tents are incredible - just like 5 star hotel rooms - and the private outside shower is amazing. Very clean, spacious and comfortable. The food is also great and all drinks are included. You also choose what you would like in your safari picnic lunch - they even had Cadbury chocolate!

Very friendly and safe - local Maasai escort you from the restaurant to your tent so that the hippos don't eat you!

The only disadvantage is that it's a long and very bumpy drive to get there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I stayed at the lake Masek Tented Camp suring a recent Safari in Tanzania. It is a lovely camp. The tents are truly luxurious. I came home wanting to build a "moon shower" of my own. However, the road to get to the camp is an extremely long, unpaved bumpy road. if you are touring the immediate surrounding area, the this is a great camp. However I am not sure it's worth it if you need to go back out to the main road everyday. That said, the staff is friendly and accommodating. and the food is quite tasty.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
State College, Pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

The wife and I enjoyed three great nights at Lake Masek Tented Camp while on safari in the Ndutu area. We had the Pimbi Tent one of the closest to the main lodge. I think the first night we were the only guests. Our tent was very comfortable, had plenty of hot water, and nearby habitat supporting a diverse bird community. It was great to walk around the lodge area and watch for birds. Our list there included purple grenadier, silverbird, black-faced waxbill, Diederik cuckoo and red-cheeked cordon-bleu. At night besides the nearby hippos we also heard hyena and lion. Staff could not have been any more accommodating. We enjoyed sitting on the deck watching the sunset, listening to spurfowl, munching nuts and sipping drinks. Food was okay. Maybe due to the low occupancy it seemed we had lots of leftovers and no special meals like May of 2011 when a stir-fry buffet was provided as an example. Breakfast was great with excellent variety of juices, cereals, meats, and of course crepes and eggs fixed as one desired. The Internet was available and relatively prompt. All beverages were included in our package (except mixed drinks and certain wines). Will mentioned the glass (balloon) used when I asked for a red Merlot was practically a small fish bowl requiring both hands to handle! The Camp no longer offers laundry service. We enjoyed being able to dine with Nicholas our guide. Although the surrounding areas were still a bit on the dry side, we had no problem finding game and diverse at that. And, the tsetse flies were not the nuisance they were a year ago.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I'm not one to give 5 stars for many things, so this must have impressed me. I love tented camps and they don't need to be fancy - usually location makes it for me, but I asked for this camp as something different to one of the lodges in the area that I also used and for a splurge. It did not disappoint - in fact, I wish I had used it for both Ndutu nights.

It was a quiet evening with only 3 tables in use. The location is beautiful with the lake close by. Buildings keep a low profile to blend into the area, though I suspect the green would be more obvious in the dry season. Everything was well maintained and thought of.

The manager of the camp sat down with me and reviewed what was at the camp, in the tents and if I had any special needs. I requested a tent a little further away and I had "Mambo". It was set back from the front line so there was a tent in front of me, but it had beautiful sunset and sunrise views and still a good view of the lake. The light at that time of year is wonderful early morning. We also discussed wheat allergies for me and vegetarian options for my driver. These were easily accommodated. I was escorted to my very luxe tent. Large kingsize beds with plenty of pillows. I appreciated this as I had a shoulder injury and sleeping was challenging. Comfort and pillows for props worked well. The bathroom is large with double sinks; hairdryers at determined times and 24/7 light and hot water. To top it off, there was a bathtub! A real 2 person deep bathtub! I had been thinking of this the last hour into camp and I tried to quell my conscience about all the water I used, but again - shoulder injury on safari, is not an easy trip. I spent a month volunteering sticking to navy cold water showers, just to make up for this tub use. There was ample hot water and it helped a lot. the outside shower could be a little nippy at night when the temperature drops, but the extra big and plush towels warm you up fast. One thing that would be nice is to be able to easily open the canvas drapes by the tub in order to see the stars while relaxing.

There was room service and free beer or wine. I requested a cold beer and it was delivered promptly - and cold! The screened porch is large and comfortable for a private sundowner and time for reflexion.

Service was good as was the food, except the wine was pretty bad. It is served in very large balloon glasses - about 10 ounces at a pour, but most of it was left. Not worth drinking. Breakfast buffet was suffice. I'm sure limited due to lack of clients. The meal was staggered to when people were leaving and they covered everything with cloths as there are some persistent sparrows and starlings that find their way into the area to feast on any food left uncovered. Two staff spent the time we ate shooing off the birds and keeping us entertained. As mentioned, guides can dine with their guests. Adequate options were provided for box lunches.

As this was just an overnight visit (sadly) I did not use all the facilities or options available. They had been offering walking safaris from the camp but this has been curtailed for the time being.

Well worth the splurge and worth more than one night.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Masek Tented Camp? Share your experiences!