“I was not disappointed at all. All was as I expected and more.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ngorongoro Rhino Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ngorongoro Rhino Lodge
You added Ngorongoro Rhino Lodge to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Lodge   |   Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania   |
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“I was not disappointed at all. All was as I expected and more.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have stayed on and around the crater several times before and was looking for a more homely and friendly place that the usual Lodges. I chose Rhino Lodge for its location as I thought it should be good for birding and other wildlife encounters. It was.
Rooms are simply but comfortably furnished with twin beds and chairs and (wonders of wonders) a set of shelves for your clothes s you can unpack. Bathroom area was clean and everything worked. A wooden balcony overlooked the forest and the formal gardens were well kept. There was a Wood burning stove and Hot water bottle provided for those with thin blood but I did not bother with them. The blanket on the bed was more than adequate. Food and drink were served in a cosy Restaurant warmed by a log fire. I don't really care for buffet style service, too many strangers breathing, and sneezing, over my food is not my idea of hygiene. I found some chinese guests particularly bad at covering the mouths with their hand.
When they then pick over what is on offer before making their choice I just cringe and avoid that dish. Don't folks bother to read the menu first? Apart from that the food was good, thoroughly cooked and nourishing.
Noise from next door could be intrusive if voices were raised but who is in the room that long anyway.
We had wildlife visits from Elephant to Water Buck daily although no Lions. What we did have was plenty of colourful birds to watch from two species of Sunbird, Tacazze and Double Collared (the Golden winged I had hoped for failed to show up) and up to four splendid Schalow's Turacos in the tree next to my room at one time. Flycatchers and Weavers everywhere.
I could spend longer here if I was allowed to enter the forest. My only disappointment was the inability to bird on the road due to the speeding Safari Cars training for the Grande Prix. If they did not hit you you would choke on the dust.

Room Tip: As others. If you can, get one of the Rooms at the far side.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Hastings, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed the night here and found it very friendly and comfortable. We asked for the woodburner to be lit and our room was warm enough. Enjoyed the view from our balcony first of waterbuck grazing a few yards away, then of a lioness chasing a buffalo! The food was fine: good friendly service and big log fires in the dining room. Breakfast served from 6 am meant that we had a good early start and plenty of time in the crater. Would recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night in the first week of july 2012 when visiting the crater.

+ awesome view : sunset, moon, mountains, greenery, antelopes
+ ample hot water for bath
+ hot water bag in the bed
+ nice warm welcome
+ quickly converted twin beds into double for us
+ enjoyed coffee & tea in the evening on the restaurant patio
+ nice balcony with awesome view!

- average food : very few veg options, weird selection for buffet (had boiled pasta, cheese and tomato sauce separate and u had to mix it on your plate to make a pasta dish! with ugadi, potato, etc.) soup and bread was good. breakfast had fried egg and good breakfast potatoes. packed lunch was just ok. both of us didn't eat much of it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Cold and characterless except for the (very necessary) wood burner. You'll need to ask for the burner to be started and it took ages to produce any warmth. Yet it is really cold in the Ngorongoro region. The food wasn't great. The Masai design bedding was nice but there is nothing else worthy of praise here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tanur S, Manager at Ngorongoro Rhino Lodge, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Awholeworldoutthere,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time here with us at Rhino Lodge. It is indeed cold in the Ngorongoro and Rhino Lodge strives to be as ECO-FRIENDLY as possible, thus we are happy to light fires only on demand from guests, as mentioned during the welcome, so as to not create unnecessary burning of wood - a very precious resource in this part. I apologize once again that you did not enjoy the food or that our environment or facilities did not please you.

At Rhino Lodge, we are constantly striving to provide our guests a memorable stay while on safari. We are a simple lodge that aims to offer it's guests all the amenities required for a comfortable stay at the most reasonable price on the crater. At Rhino Lodge we like to welcome our guests "home" without any pretensions. Our staff all come from local, indigenous tribes and have a basic education and are trained on the job. However, each one shares the common enthusiasm for being of service to our guests. I am sorry to learn that your experience was unsatisfactory and your time with us, less than enjoyable. In the rare occurrence of inattentive service or any other negative experience at Rhino Lodge, I apologize. We hope that if ever you
visit us again you will have a changed opinion of us.

- Rhino Lodge Management
Drammen, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Rhino Lodge is clean, service is good and its location is very good. A lot of wildlife right around the lodge.

Service is excellent, food is good and it's actually quite cosy to sit in the restaurant next to the fire while elephants or buffalo's go grasing outside....

One of the waiters taught me how to play "Bao" too !!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed at the Rhina lodge during our trip to Tanzania. So Far this was the warmest welcome extended by the hotel managers. They took care of our travel arrangements and some last minute help. This is a place where you can relax and enjoy nature at its best. They will make sure that you have a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Somerset, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

The staff at Rhino Lodge were very friendly and efficient. The food was great and the place well kept. The first night, right before dinner, we sighted three lions very close by the lodge's dining area.
The second night defined what I would call the most exciting time of our 10-day trip. At 2:30 AM, with a full moon, my wife and I were awaken by the sound of three lions chasing a buffalo, right outside our back porch. It took at least three run-arounds before one of the lions got a jump at the buffalo's neck, one at the back and the third on the tail. The buffalo gave a good fight, before it was taken down towards the bushes. We thought the loud cries of the buffalo would awaken the whole lodge. I flashed my flashlight to the direction of the bushes. We saw a few more lions standing guard, while we could hear tearing of the flesh and eating, etc on the background. Hyenas' eyes reflection started appearing around the bushes. The whole feast took more than an hour before animal shadows began moving out. We went back to sleep.
The following day I related the experience to the lodge manager. He asked me to write a few notes at the log book. Together with the guards, they checked the sight where the lions had their feast. There was blood all over the place. They concluded that at least one lion was wounded during the hunt, marked by brown (lion's) hair in the bushes. The buffalo carcass was dragged into the woods as indicated by marks on the grass and the shrubbery.
Can't get any better than that, the best front row seat to witness a "kill". Needless to say, the excitement continued up until our check out time. An elephant visited the lodge 10:00 AM when we were about to check out. My wife and I missed the behemoth hanging around our front door by a few minutes. That was how close we were with this magnificent animals.
Thank you Rhino Lodge.

Room Tip: Get the rooms with back porch facing the forest. You may get lucky as we did.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Tanur S, Manager at Ngorongoro Rhino Lodge, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Johnny,

Thank you for sharing your experience with past and future guests! The lions have been around even after you'll left and we had some guests who were able to see them quite close. It was a pleasure hosting you and your friends!

Kariby tena.

- Rhino Lodge Management

Been to Ngorongoro Rhino Lodge? Share your experiences!