“A home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tembotamu B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moshi
Tembotamu B&B
Off Uru Road, Rau | Third Road to the right past Keys Hotel, Moshi, Tanzania   |
Special Price
50% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 22 Moshi B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night in July 2013 and loved it. If you are looking for a home away from home in Moshi look no further! From the moment Sandra collected us at the bus station to the moment we left she took care of everything! She looked after our coffee plantation tour (which was excellent) and served as a great source of practical advice. The level of service from Sandra, as well as the breakfasts are a real highlight!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Moshi, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We didn't actually stay at the B&B, but went on a safari to the Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti organised by Sandra and conducted by her husband Frank. He has an electric and instantly likeable personality and he went above and beyond what we expected, making every minute of our safari worthwhile. An excellent but careful driver, Frank knows the Serengeti off by heart and took us on some fantastic game drives where he spotted wildlife that we wouldn't have seen by ourselves in a million years. Not only that but Frank has a great sense of humour and conversation, and made the whole experience warm and personal.

The first day included a packed lunch prepared by Sandra, which was the best packed lunch of our entire 3-week trip, of which we spent 5 days with Frank. Sandra was in communication with us from the beginning until the very end and gave us the reassuring personal attention you want when you're spending quite a lot on a safari! That said, Sandra's quote was very competitive when compared with other companies we asked, and the experience was excellent. On top of planning the safari for us, she also helped us plan and book the rest of our trip to the Selous, Zanzibar and the Usambara mountains at no extra cost to us.

All in all, Sandra and Frank provide an outstanding, personal and very welcoming service and I would not hesitate to recommend them for a safari.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

As someone who has stayed in Moshi several times over the past few years, I cannot say enough good things about Tembotamu!

I stayed in the single room (en suite) for 5 days in late July 2013. It was an unexpected stay and I greatly appreciated Sandra's quick response to my email inquiry as well as her flexibility with my schedule and pick up.

Tembotamu is an excellent value for its price and amenities. The house and surrounding gardens are lovely, the food is excellent and a nice break from the traditional Tanzanian fare that is heavy on carbs and it is a direct walk (about 20-30 minutes) or a quick 10 minute drive into town.

What makes Tembotamu extra special is the family! Do not underestimate how valuable it is to have ready access to English and Swahili speakers who are very knowledgeable about the city, country, and what it is like to be a visitor to Tanzania. I had issues with my bank and had to arrange for a wire transfer; Sandra was extremely helpful in working through the (incorrect) directions to the Western Union.

The surrounding area is relatively quiet, especially at night. In Moshi, many, many people have dogs as security and they will bark and howl at night. I found Tembotamu to be very quiet compared to other areas I have stayed, especially with its location close to the town. Tembotamu has two dogs of their own that are kenneled outside during the day and I had no issues with sleep disruptions from them or road traffic outside the gate.

While the circumstances of how I needed to find a place to stay were unpleasant, I consider it my good fortune to have found Tembotamu!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Istanbul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I felt really at home here. Sandra was so helpful and kind and I really appreciated it as a woman travelling alone.

I loved the home cooked food and the little touches in the rooms such as plugs with different adaptors on, wall hangings and a hair dryer. It felt more like a home than an impersonal hotel.

Sandra really went out of her way to help, including helping me find a safari and then lending me a headlamp and a jacket (as I was a very unprepared traveller).

I'd definitely recommend this to anybody travelling to Moshi. I hope to come back one day to climb Kilimanjaro.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Arusha, Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I and his parents stayed at Tembo Tamu in April 2013 and the whole experience was fantastic - from Sandra proactively contacting me when she heard I was trying to find out about a one-day climb up Kili and then organising us a wonderful day climb with Anton, to the delicious dinners and breakfasts she prepared for us, to the KNCU coffee shamba tour she organised, to taking us around town to show us the sights and providing answers, directions and general assistance wherever we needed.

Thanks for the great hospitality and a wonderful stay!:)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

When my girlfriend and I arrived at Tembotamu in the middle of the night, Sandra was already waiting for us. At the arrival my girlfriend got her suitcase lost by the airline, and Sandra managed to assist us calling the 'lost and found' all the time, and taking us to the market to buy some new clothes. She arranged everything for us, from the coffee tour, to the safari in the Tarangiri national park. Frank - her husband - was our guide and driver for a couple of days (for the safari and for the roadtrip to Mambo View Point) taking us safely even tough the road sometimes was quite scary. Good hosts and great hospitality!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bagamoyo, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We had a great time staying at TemboTamu. Sandra and frank are wonderful hosts and helped us with each and everything: pick-up from bus stop, lifts to town, coffee shamba tour, laundry, taking us to a local place to watch the champions league final, patiently answering countless questions on the country and its culture - only to mention few things! They shared their beautiful home with us and made us feel very welcome and ...at home.
Great value, very clean and cozy. We would definitely recommend TemboTamu!
Thank you very much, Sandra and Frank!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Tembotamu B&B? Share your experiences!