“Perfect Value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kindoroko Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moshi
Kindoroko Hotel
You added Kindoroko Hotel to your Saves list
Main Street, Moshi, Tanzania   |
Ranked #12 of 27 Moshi B&B and Inns
“Perfect Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We are a couple in our 30s who stayed in North Tanzania for 4 months, and Moshi was our chance to get some western comforts and we chose hotel Kindoroko every time.

They may feel slightly small, but for the prices of the rooms - to get hot water, cable tv, a fan and mosquito net, plus be close by to good local cafes, tourist stalls and the bus stand AND the best view of kilimanjaro from a bar in Moshi - with wi-fi and tea on tap, we couldn't really find a better place.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We only stayed one night while passing through Moshi but we were impressed. It has nice, comfortable en suite rooms with cable tv. a nice roof top and balconies with Kili views. The food isn't bad and it's in a good location near cafe's etc.

There's cheaper places to stay for travellers, but for a decent value nice hotel this place certainly fits the bill.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Kindoroko has lovely rooms, good service and a decent breakfast at a rather reasonable price. However the best reason to pick Kindoroko as your hotel in Moshi is the view from its rooftop! It's a beautiful view of Mt Kilimanjaro.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at Kindoroko for just under six weeks whilst I was studying in Moshi as part of a course. I was a little apprehensive after reading some of the negative reviews here, but I am pleased to say that I saw very little evidence for some of the criticisms posted here. The staff are friendly, the location is great (right in the centre of town) and the rooms are very clean. The rooftop bar and view over to Kili is a lovely place to relax in the evening.

There are of course some considerations and possible disadvantages about this hotel, which in part go with its central location. It can be noisy (traffic from the street and the call to prayer at 5am), some of the rooms are very small and the hot water on occasions could be intermittent (although this was addressed by the management).

The pros:
1. Location
2. Friendly staff
3. It felt secure
4. Clean
5. Great views and a tasty breakfast

The cons:
1. Front facing rooms can be noisy (although the fan can drown out the noise)
2. There is a HUGE variation in the size of the rooms - look around if possible. The doubles on the first floor are better than those on the floors above, and the family rooms are HUGE. Some of the singles are cell-like.
3. Plumbing / hot water - occasionally intermittent but this was addressed by the management

Considering its location it makes for a good budget option for those keen to be in the heart of Moshi and those keen to meet other travellers. It's not really for couples looking for a romantic stay or anyone after some peace and quiet after coming down from the mountain. I think one's enjoyment is probably related to which room you get so its a good idea to have a look around before committing.

Room Tip: Rooms off the main street are quieter and the rooms on the first floor are larger
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Some people who have not visited areas like this before may feel a bit shocked. Yes it can be noisy, yes rooms may be small. But I found the staff friendly and the provided breakfast delicious. Plus you are only a minutes walk from the market and you have incredible views of Kilimanjaro from the rooftop bar. I LOVED LOVED LOVED it! Would stay again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I don't write the following lightly and I had been recommended this hotel by two friends who had stayed before. The rooms are cheap, clean and there is hot water. When I first arrived I was pretty content, the staff were grumpy and my room, which was at the front of the building, was incredibly noisy, but it's so cheap you can't really complain.

On the morning of the second day, my hotel room door was kicked in while I was at breakfast and my entire room was ransacked over the course of about 20 minutes - I lost everything. We were due to leave to begin climbing Kilimanjaro that motning, so this was a little frustrating! The hotel staff were no real help at all, there was talk of an inside job, blaming both staff and guests, and when I walked around talking to all the members if staff, half of them didn't even know it had happened, in spite of the management informing me that all staff were accounted for and searched. Shortly thereafter we were escorted to the police station where the chief of police told me that this sort of incident is a frequent one at the hotel.

After the climb, we stayed at the hotel again, I managed to persuade the hotel to put us up for free as all our money was taken and we were staying for less than 12 hours before catching a flight. They were not easily convinced, apparently hospitality should also include hostility in this establishment. I observed that the security was still pretty lax, the rooms were all unlocked after being cleaned, the left luggage room was open for anyone to access and the supposed 'escape route' the robber had taken was still left open. The room I had previously stayed in had been left as it was, no attempt to fix to lock or clear the shards of wood from the floor had been made. I don't think this was to preserve the scene for CSI Moshi.

I've stayed in some rough places in my time, but I was really shocked by this place. It's not safe. Don't stay here.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

located on the busy and very noisy main road, the single room was located to take advantage of the noise. Ask for a room on the backside and you'll be sure to get a better nite's rest than i did. Staff were good, although unaware of my booking via hostelworld. Rooms were clean and nice rooftop bar for viewing Kili when the clouds aren't arround. 2000Tsh taxi from the bus station.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Kindoroko Hotel? Share your experiences!