“Lovely, lovely, lovely” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Abbotsbury

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Graaff-Reinet
Abbotsbury
You added Abbotsbury to your Saves list
On the N9; follow the farm road for 3km from the Abbotsbury sign | P O Box 551, Graaff-Reinet 6280, South Africa   |
Ranked #8 of 34 Graaff-Reinet B&B and Inns
Malmö, Sweden
“Lovely, lovely, lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

What a fantastic place!! So beautiful and peaceful. Located outside Graaff Reinet, down a dirt road it's very secluded. It was such a beautiful sight. You drive down a dusty road through a dry landscape and all of a sudden there is this green oasis. We stayed in the Garden Suite, which has a large lounge with dining area, a bed room and a bathroom. The hostess prepares delicious home cooked, traditional food in the evening. Would love to go back.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
centurion pretoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

Oh my word Sue is an absolute compliment to Africa for finer than the farm you will not find
The olde worlde furnishings, the food (to die for) one could go on and on and end up writing
a book, thank you so much Sue well worth every cent. God Bless. We are coming back one day
so stay there

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Surrey UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

You know how sometimes you want to keep a secret because you find a place so special that you fear once it is known the world will beat a path there and you'll give up your opportunity to go again without lengthy booking times? I know - it's a selfish thought (*sigh*) and so in the spirit of community I decided to write the first review about Abbotsbury.

This has to be one of the most beautiful places to stay in the world! The farm is nestled in a valley surrrounded by mountains which are wonderful to explore. I travelled with other family members - 5 people in all. Sue warmly welcomed us and made us feel very at home. 3 of us stayed in 'The Cottage'. We were very comfortable. The rooms are immaculate and the old cottage has been tastefully and lovingly restored. It is characterful and I loved how the authentic Karoo architecture has been maintained in all the buildings on the property.

The cottage would be great for two couples or a family as it has two bathrooms and a kitchen which allows for self catering. However Sue prepares the most deliciously sumptious dinners. We feasted on generous helpings of fresh succulent Karoo lamb with vegetables and a delicious dessert . I still remember that meal fondly from afar! ( And I ate many a meal on my trip through the Karoo!) So no need to cook if you don't want to. Sue does offer menu choices as well, so if you had special requirements I'm sure she'd be more than willing to help you out. On our second night we decided to 'braai' (barbeque) our own meat and Sue sorted out a grill for us.

Breakfast is included in the price and again - a feast! For tastebuds and the eyes! Fruit salad, yogurt, homebaked muffins, tasty jams, bacon & eggs, toast, juices and coffee - I was set up for the day ahead. The staff serve you throughout meals and they were lovely smiling happy people.

The mountains are on your doorstep here. We saw kudu on them and at night the star filled sky is stunning. The views are incredible. We went for a walk in the mountains and I felt rested and at peace in the middle of all this natural splendour.

We all left reluctantly! I only wish we had stayed there longer as after this the next B&B we stayed at was a bit of a letdown. BUT - I'll be back Sue! I can't thank you enough for such a wonderful stay at Abbotsbury... I continue to revisit your wonderful hospitality and farm in my memories of a fantastic stay. :-)

Check out the website for pics, info & booking details. (And please don't book for when I want to go! ;-) )

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to Abbotsbury? Share your experiences!