“Heaven on Earth” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Perth, Australia
“Heaven on Earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Denis Island is a must when visiting the Seychelles, sure is heaven on earth. The half hour flight from Mahe to Denis is amazing and great experience. The place is so beautiful and unique. The food was so delicious and lots to choose from, the homemade ice-cream you'll die for..... Love it there and can't wait to go back again.....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Bromley, Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

Maldives used to be my favourite destination but Seychelles is winning by far. It is real paradise!
A short stay on Denis is a must for any visit to Seychelles. There is just something magical about it!
From the amazing flight across where you can see all the little Islands below, the nature reserve where you can see rare birds to the beautiful bungalows where you feel as though you are the only people on the island. The bungalow s are very good standard and are equipped with everything you need. The open air bathroom is lovely and had a proper bath.
Although the island is pretty big there's Ares only a few villas, so it is very quiet and relaxing.
The food is excellent and they have their own farm on the island producing all the eggs, milk etc and home made jam.
The diving was amazing, saw so many things and the team at the dive centre are very helpful and make the whole experience very enjoyable.
I would recommend this island to everyone but especially to honeymoon couples who want magical memories!

• Stayed May 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Denis Island is a place like no other. Not that I know of at least. Much has been written in previous commentaries, and I agree with all the positive comments, so no need to repeat them. What I will say is that we spent some time on this island for our honeymoon, and we're sure to be back (many times, hopefully). It's hard to single out what makes this place so special, because everything is just phenomenal. A huge thank you to the staff. You've made our honeymoon unforgettable.
If there is one place that I can recommend hands down without any reservations, it's Denis. Just go and find out for yourself. I for my part cannot wait to be back.

Room Tip: Take a beachfront villa.
South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

This beautiful pristine place is so unique and special with its azure blue sea and picture perfect beaches.. it was our 5th visit and still we want to go back. The chalets are very tastefully decorated and are very spacious and well equipped with an Ipod docking station, fridge, aircon, cofee making facilities and a brilliant bathroom with in and outside showers. The chalets all face the beach and are very private. The staff go out of their way to welcome you and make your stay memorable. On arrival we found the bed decorated with blossoms to wish my husband a happy birthday and he was also presented with a beautiful birthday cake at dinner. The food is exceptional with so many choices at each meal. Freshly baked pastries and bread at breakfast every day apart and also have a continental selection and full English breakfast fare. They have a different theme every evening from Creole Buffets to Beach Barbeque, Sushi nights Indian etc. There are a selection of desserts that were my downfall. We highly reccommend the all-inclusive package as we found it good value for money. Management, being Jean-Paul and Lorna make a point of chatting with you every day to make sure everything is perfect. In fact all the staff are exceptionally friendly and helpfull and give warm and personal service. There is no cell phone reception but you can make international calls from your chalet or use the lounge/library which has 2 computer stations with complimentary internet access. There is also a TV in the lounge and a selection of books.
We had brilliant snorkelling just off the point in front of the restaurant and we also cycled to Turtle Bay where we snorkelled with the turtles. The bird life is prolific and we manged to spot The Seychelles Magpie Robin, Fody Warbler and The Seychelles Paradise Flycatcher and our favourite the Fairy Terns. We cannot say enough about this amazing place. Just go! This is such a magical untouched paradise.

Room Tip: There are really are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Denis Island is the reason we went to the Seychelles. After seeing it in a brochure I eventually found an affordable way to go by doing a week at another resort followed by a week at Denis.

Our room was fantastically located practically on the beach, and we enjoyed many an hour lying on the day bed gazing across the sea and watching birds wheeling around the sky. Rooms don't have a TV or Internet access, so if you want these go to the library in the main building or bring a portable DVD player. Presumably because we had a wedding anniversary they upgraded our room from a Deluxe Beach Cottage to a Beachfront Spa Cottage. This was unexpected and really appreciated. Another anniversary benefit was an evening meal on the beach and a cake.

Arriving at Denis was an experience second only to that of arriving at a Maldives island on a seaplane. The plane flew over the island giving us a great first view of it, then turned for its approach to the grass airstrip. Definitely a time for taking photos or video!

Denis is a good size coral island (in comparison think of the largest Maldives resort islands) but with only 25 rooms it often feels like you've almost got the island to yourself, and on our last evening there were only nine tables set for dinner. There are several gorgeous beaches and forest walks to explore. For snorkelling I found Belle Etoile at the end of the airstrip to be the best in June as visibility wasn't so good at the beaches where the rooms are located. A free island tour by foot or buggy can be arranged and is worth doing to find out more about the island.

What we loved about Denis is the Maldives style experience, not many other guests, and the wildlife of the island. The white fairy terns are a joy to watch flying around, and are easy to photograph as they don't spook easily like other birds. A large pen is home to several giant tortoises. The oldest is Toby at 150 years, he's friendly and will let your stroke his neck.

Like our time at Constance Lemuria the week before, on arrival at Denis we were asked for our food allergies. The staff were proactive at telling us which dishes we should avoid and often the chef came out to let us know. As with Lemuria we also noticed that vegetarians aren't well catered for, the main dishes were always meat or fish. If you let them know you're a vegetarian they'll surely accommodate you, but it would have been nice to have a vegetarian option regardless. The food is very good though, especially the table d'hote evening meals which alternated with buffet.

Since Denis has gone All Inclusive it doesn't leave you with a potentially big drinks bill at the end. The usual things are included in the AI (soft drinks, beer, wine by the glass, some spirits) but cocktails aren't. Also, non-motorised watersports are included, as is snorkelling equipment. The dive center guys are really helpful, they fixed my leaking snorkel tube (after I borrowed one from them for a while) and gave me advice on best places and times to snorkel, and details of the tides and currents.

Now for the niggles. The island doesn't cater well for children, so chances are that if any kids are staying they'll be hogging the small swimming pool. One day I mislaid my cap and sunglasses. I reported this and the next day my cap was “found” but the sunglasses weren't, so I suspect they were taken by someone. If you don't like birds near you when eating then don't come here. At breakfast and lunch they could be a bit of a nuisance (thankfully the food was covered at these mealtimes) – don't leave uneaten food on the table unattended is my advice! Also, people standing on the veranda of a nearby room could see into our bathroom. The garden wall needs to be made higher or some screening vegetation planted.

Denis is a dream island, beautiful and relaxing away from the stresses of everyday life. The simple things are what make it special: the wildlife, especially the young fairy tern we passed every day, the stunning night skies, sundowners on the beach, and the refined ambiance in the restaurant in the evening. Most of the staff were friendly and helpful, and service was excellent on the whole – one morning a waitress even removed our glasses of orange juice because birds had got at them when we went to get food. We were very sad to leave and hope that one day we can afford to return.

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for a Beachfront Spa Cottage
Warfield, Berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We visited Dennis Island as part of our Honeymoon in June 2011, this was the first island we visited and absolutely loved it! After a delay at Heathrow Airport which caused us to miss our onward flight from Dubai to Mahe, we were very relieved to arrive on beautiful Dennis Island. The room was lovely with our own garden and beach and was so private. We really can’t understand the odd negative review about the food, the food was absolutely amazing you are on an tiny island ½ hour flight from the mainland you seriously couldn’t ask for better. We have stayed in some first class hotels throughout the world, I expected Dennis to not be quite as good as the other two islands we were visiting as they were 5 star, but we cannot recommend it highly enough with both of us agreeing at the end of the two weeks Dennis was the most special. Such personal service from all the staff even the Manager, introducing himself on the first night and telling us all about the island and asking if everything was okay throughout our stay. If you venture in to the forest in the centre of the island make sure you have insect repellent on, I got bitten all over which was the only thing that ruined my stay, but was my own fault. My husband and I had the most amazing massage on the Veranda of our room overlooking the sea, the massage girls were from Bali and were fantastic. The giant Turtles on the Island are just gorgeous and were one of the highlights of our stay on the island. I ran out of some tablets throughout my stay which needed a prescription for in the UK, the staff got this arranged for me and picked the tablets up from the Pharmacy on Mahe. As I was getting on the plane to fly to Praslin the Manager’s wife rushed over with the tablets for me and didn’t even charge me for them, well if that’s not perfect service I don’t know what is!! We will definitely return one day, maybe for an Anniversary we loved it!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We spent the first 5 nights of our honeymoon at denis island. We loved it there so much and were really sad to leave. Actually, as soon as we got to our next destination, constance lemuria on praslin, we tried to go back to denis! Basically, the place is set up for relaxation. At first I was not sure about certain things- like no locks on the doors for instance, but you soon get comfortable and realize that there really is no need here. Its a private island and everyone on the island works for the hotel. They all seem so happy to be there and they are so warm and welcoming. Its so private and we felt like we were almost alone on a deserted island- but with all the luxury comforts of course. The food was excellent. I had the best lamb medallions I have ever had in my entire life while I was there. Every night we would go to the bar area before dinner and have a drink (included in the all inclusive), listen to some music (they had a wonderful man singing with a guitar in the weekend evenings) and relax before meandering over to dinner. They would serve us a small appetizer while we had our drink as well. It was always delicious. Lorna, the manager I think, would always come over to chat with us about our day and ask if we needed anything at all. There were things, like lunch being from 1-2 only that i found annoying, so I called one day and said that we wanted to go walk around the island and might not make it for lunch. They said no problem and they would prepare us dishes of food if we did not make it back in time. they basically saved us multiple plates of anything we could have wanted when we got back and were super nice and accommodating about it. You just have to ask basically. The biggest problem we had was with the clarity of the water. But that was due to the time of year. Dont go during June, or the southwest monsoon. Its an amazing place but I can only imagine what it woul dbe like when the water is flat and clear. Heaven. Belle etoile, the beach at the end of the airstrip (which is grass) was lovely. A really natural beach (they all are). It had tons of turtles in it. One day we were able to snorkel out in fron tof the restuarant and found there to be tons of fish. I cant image what its like during the right season- Im sure its incredible. If you are a jogger, definitely go for a jog on the path that goes around the island. It was beautiful to run through the forest along the sea and then dive into our own private beach front sea at the end of it. Amazing run. Its good for biking and walking too.
Anyway, basically, we found it to be a really special place. The rooms were beautiful and the outside bathroom was really special. We loved the outdoor shower and the bathtub. We got upgraded (when we asked- because we were disappointed about the water) to a spa room, which had a bed at the front at the beach. This was lovely. Definitely try to get one of these rooms if you can afford it. Our room attendant was so sweet and nice and the last night he did a special honeymoon turn down for us that included a hand written well wishing note from him and an amazing bath prepared for us. It was the best bath we ever had.
When we left we waved goodbye to Lorna and a few members of staff and felt like we had really felt at home there. Very different to the lemuria, which was our next stop. This place didnt feel like a resort- it felt like a unique destination. It felt special- not like the lemuria.
Anyway, go there. Its beautiful. We would go back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Denis Private Island Seychelles? Share your experiences!