I spent two nights at this lodge in room #3, one of six rooms (actually small stand-alone cottages) that are on a level with the main building. The other rooms sit below the lodge. My huge room offered everything that I could want, except hot water. Taking cold showers did not bother me. The huge, comfortable bed with excellent linens led immediately to a deep sleep. One side of the room holds a sitting area, the perfect place to be when the fireplace has been lit. The enormous bathroom offers two sinks, a big mirror and a bathtub with sprayer that I used for my showers. A safe offers good storage for valuables. An information book gives the hours that the generator operates so guests can plan accordingly.
The lodge's location is stunning with volcano views and grounds with plants, trees and flowers that attract extensive bird life. It was sheer pleasure to stroll around.
I thought the service here was truly exceptional. Staff stands ready to assist in any way. A man came to light the fireplace in early evening and returned later to build another fire. On this second visit, he presented me with a hot water bottle for the bed. When I returned from my gorilla trek, a chair awaited me in the lobby so I could sit to remove my boots to be beautifully cleaned. When a rain shower hit as I got ready to leave the reception area, a man walked with me back to the room, holding an umbrella over my head.
Based on comments here, I took warm clothes, expecting the area to be frigid at night. Perhaps the place gets colder at other times of the year. I certainly found it to be chilly compared to other parts of Rwanda, but I was fine with a sweater and fleece jacket and never used the hat and gloves that I also had with me. During meals, a charcoal burner was set up next to my table to provide warmth. I had to request that it be moved further away as I became too hot.
Waiters provided impeccable service in the dining room and I liked the high-quality meals. At dinner, there was always a choice of appetizers, main courses and desserts on the menu.
I couldn't have been happier with my stay at Mountain Gorilla View Lodge.
- Also Known As:
- Mountain Gorilla View Hotel
- Mountain Gorilla View Hotel Ruhengeri
- Mountain Gorilla View Lodge Rwanda/Ruhengeri
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mountain Gorilla View Lodge stands amidst real wilderness with panoramic views of Rwanda’s volcano mountains and located just 1km away from the Volcano National Park, making it the desired location for Gorilla Trekking enthusiastic guests. Mountain Gorilla View Lodge is surrounded by an exciting and rich biodiversity of shrubs, trees and various bird species among them the Grey Crowned Cranes or Balearica regulorum. The Hotel has an eco-tourist approach whereas Natural Conservation is a priority and the local community is empowered. The Intore (local Cultural dancers) will spice your stay and your days at Mountain Gorilla View Lodge will always be memorable. ... more less