“Can't wait to stay again!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Paradis Malahide

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gisenyi
Hotel Paradis Malahide
You added Hotel Paradis Malahide to your Saves list
B.P. 535 Rubona, Gisenyi, Rwanda   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gisenyi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nyakarambi, Rwanda
“Can't wait to stay again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This wonderful hotel has so many strengths - wonderful service, lovely location, delicious food and comfortable rooms with lovely views. The staff are friendly and helpful and go out of their way to make you feel welcome. I am looking forward to another stay there in June which is why I was reminded of how much I enjoyed my last visit. The traditional dancers around the open fire in the middle of the restaurant are a special treat after the fabulous meal.

Room Tip: Go for a rondavel right on the lake side and enjoy the views.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I've stayed at Hotel Malahide Paradis twice and both times have been exceptional. The staff are professional and super friendly, the food is delicious (especially the pineapple jam included with the complimentary breakfast) and the WiFi makes staying in touch with the outside world possible (even if that's not why you're there!).

I loved canoeing out to the private island and relaxing there with a good book as the storms rolled over the mountains of Congo across Lake Kivu. There are hot springs nearby so just ask where the "Amashyuza" are!

It's very easy to get to (6km from the centre of Gisenyi) and most moto-taxi drivers know where it is. I would recommend booking in advance because at peak times it fills up quickly.

Pizza is a good choice as is the vegetarian platter. And the juices are a must.

Room Tip: Room 9 is my favourite (see the view from the photo I uploaded)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Unfortunately we only managed to spend a night here. It is 6 kms from Gisenyi. There is a lovely small swimming beach with umbrellas and loungers overlooking the lake. We stayed in a lovely rondavel with a bathroom en suite. The bed was extremely comfortable with a large mosquito net over it.
The food was delicious (I recommed the tilapia fillet provencal or with mushroom sauce). There is just a lovely chilled atmosphere at this place and the staff are so friendly and helpful.

As we departed we were handed small parcels for our journey with a small "vetkoek" (?dumpling)wrapped in a banana leaf and tied with raffia.

Bruxelles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Beautiful landscape, helpful and really nice people (employees, waiters, etc...)

Possible to do some boat trip for free. My better breakfast I have ever eaten in Africa.

Very cheap!

I recommend this place especially after the gorillas excursion, very relaxing and beautiful garden. You eat and drink a bear almost on lake Kivu.

Very calm place and atmosphere.

Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Recently an official trip to Gisenyi allowed me to spend an added night in town, and my choice was to return to the Paradis Malahide, for the unique mix of homely hospitality by the owners and the garden setting on the shores of Lake Kivu.
I had reviewed the property in 2011 but this time wanted to visit their private island, and I did. If ever romance would strike me, unlikely as that is at my age, THIS is the place where I would go to camp for a night or a few, out on the lake, on a private island, candle light and lanterns while the lamps of the fishermen at night would provide the backdrop, looking like fire flies on the water as their songs echo in from the distance.
The resort makes an excellent pizza in a wood fired oven, a treat for which apparently quite a lot of residents come to the Malahide too, and those staying for the night clearly had the same craving in their taste buds as I did after I had perused the menu. The 'camp fire', an open fire place in the middle of the dining area, which serves also as a combined lounge, made the shadows dance right up to the roof while the scent of wood smoke filled the air, the sort of atmosphere otherwise only experienced on safari proper.
Breakfast was an outdoor al fresco affair, in the tropical garden lovingly maintained by the owner, as she explained to me with joy and pride when asked about the variety of flowers and ornamental shrubs and trees.
For certain NOT a conventional hotel but a small resort, only 10 rooms, with all the personal attention of the owners and a following of 'guests turned friends' who come back time and again to relax and 'chill'. Wireless internet is now available free of cost in the main area of the Paradis Malahide. And the news, they are building a new resort a couple of miles away, hopefully ready by some time in 2014 and then awaiting a visit and review. Watch this space.

Room Tip: Cottages 1 and 2 are closest to the beach and provide that soothing sound of the waves lapping up th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This place has it all, beautiful rooms, friendly staff, amazing location on the beach and the best restaurant in Gisenyi. We arrived after long day of hiking and gorilla trekking, and the staff were quick to help us with our bags and offer to wash our extremely muddy shoes and pants. Our rooms were large with super comfy beds and pillows, and nice hot showers with real water pressure! The entire hotel complex is stunning; cute little beach, wonderful outdoor seating by the water, and very nice reception area. For dinner, the seasoned avocado salad, charcoal grilled tilapia and ugali with red sauce were all extremely delicious. My friends devoured their chicken in peanut sauce, and they have at extensive drink menu with reasonable prices (the red wine was the best I've had yet in Rwanda) They bring warm water for hand washing and hot, salted peanuts to enjoyed with drinks before your meal. My only complaint is that it was very noisy in the morning with the call to prayer, children screaming in the village nearby and traffic behind our room. Getting a bungalow with a double bed closer to the hotel reception might help solve this issue. Breakfast was also very good, with beautiful clay and wooden tableware and good strong coffee. They have several types of omelettes, and bring you fruit, toast, pineapple jam and sweet crepes as well. If you're looking to spend a few days relaxing by the beach and soaking up some sun, this is the place to be.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Beautiful surroundings, great attention to detail, very attentive staff. I arrived on New Years Eve and unfortunately my guide had failed to book a bungalow but there was space for me at the house up the road. I was driven back and forth from the house to the hotel whenever I wanted and made to feel safe and welcome. The food is great, the fruit juice/smoothies are amazing! I wish I could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: Get a bungalow or camp if you're on a tight budget...book in advance!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Paradis Malahide? Share your experiences!