“Excellent hotel - great holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Neptune Palm Beach Boutique Resort & Spa All Inclusive

Save Saved
You added Neptune Palm Beach Boutique Resort & Spa All Inclusive to your Saves list
Neptune Palm Beach Boutique Resort & Spa All Inclusive
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Galu Beach | PO Box 696, Ukunda, Kenya (Formerly SENTIDO Neptune Palm Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Ukunda
Melle, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
“Excellent hotel - great holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We (one adult and 4 teen kids) stayed at the Palm resort from July 13th to July 27th and we enjoyed our staying very much.

Lets start with the one weak point to get it over with: the food is indeed as many point out not their strongest. It is never bad but generally it is average and unimaginative. But every now and then there is something really good. Talking to the chef (friendly) helps a lot. For instance they are used to carbonize the meat and fish because we (the tourists) all read in safety instructions that this is the safest for bacterial infections. Well I do not eat carbonized food and if you ask for lightly cooked meat you can get "medium" which is still safe. I also have seen some Indian guests requesting special things directly to the chef and getting it. So although this is surely not a top notch restaurant it is not all that bad either.

I went without a tour operator like Neckermann or Thomas Cook and frankly I recommend everyone to do the same. It is much cheaper and you get exactly the same, for me this was a saving for almost 2.500 euro !!

I booked a taxi from Mombasa airport to the hotel via the hotel for 45€, a bit pricey but you take no risk on this kind of trips especially since we arrived in the night you do not want to be stranded at Mombasa airport, which by the way is a very small and fast airport (out in 15 minutes :-) ). Taxi was there on time and brought us to the hotel in little over one hour including the Mombasa ferry we could take immediately. Over day you might consider going around north, the road is terrible but there is no ferry to take and the time is also 1.15 h, if not you can easily loose one additional hour at the ferry.

Arrived at the hotel at 7.00 AM just witnessed day brake. Reception was friendly and ready, breakfast was waiting for us but the rooms were not available yet. That is not a real problem they looked after our luggage and gave us the blue "all in" Palm bracelets to go about in the resort.
As a Palm guest you can go to the 2 other adjacent hotels , Village and Paradise the latter being closed because of low season, but guest from Village were not allowed in Palm.
This gives a really quiet hotel with 60 rooms, for people wanting a break from a stressed live.

We were allowed around 10 AM in our rooms. They are beautiful and clean but above all huge even if you stay with 3 in it. The beds are on the hard side but I had an extra bed for me which was much better (for my poor back).
The air conditioning is massive and cools the room in no time (mind it was winter when we were there). Everything is in good shape and looks fine just the showers need some practicing to get water at a good temperature.

Overall the Palm resort is really beautiful and quiet. The apes are strolling around everywhere and with a bit of patience you can have them touch you. Big swimming pool good for recreation but also for some real swimming which can not be said of many hotels.

What strikes you most in the first few days is the people are extremely friendly and will jump to help you with whatever you need . Their English is excellent so communication is easy. Most of the staff do not earn in a month what you earn in a day so please be very friendly to them, they will greatly appreciate it. Personally I did not found one thing they could not arrange for me but for some things you need to be patient, this is Africa, never forget this, if you want to have a enjoyable holiday.

At arrival you receive water and wine in your room , mind this is a one time offer. Towels and shower products are refilled whenever needed. The "all inclusive" is only for local drinks, expensive European liquor is to be paid, which is like in any other hotel in the same pricing class. You can also go the Village bar same drinks more fun.

If you need some fun go to Village and participate to the activities. With my 4 kids I had a lot of fun there, water polo or water volley, cocktail game, stretching, Thai boxing, African dancing beach volley, Swahili language , Swahili cocking, something for everyone. Kids disco every day at 8.30 PM. Evening show at 9 PM, some are just OK others are really good. I want to point out the absolute excellence of the animation team who made this for me and the kids a really extraordinary holiday. So family with kids I strongly recommend to go there, the entertainment is 5 star level.

Last word on the beach. It is not private but public like all other hotels by the way. There are a lot of local people trying to literally live from their little business. No one was aggressive but all are constantly approaching you. Usually there is a "chief", go talk to him arrange 1 or 2 things via him (negotiate very well because the prices start ridiculously high, times 3 or even 4). For me he arranged a trip to Swanini island, one to the local reef, and a session with jet ski. Buy some local stuff (not at the hotel of course) even if you think it is ugly as hell and you'll find that suddenly people are not harassing you so much anymore. Foresee to give a little money (usually 100 or 200 shillings , which is 2 euro) to them that reduces the pressure a lot. Me and my kids we could stroll on the beach without problems, but I saw other people feeling really bugged about this and running back to the hotel walls.

In short: definitely a hotel I d recommend. If you have kids you can book the cheaper adjacent "Village" hotel and you will be better of.

Room Tip: All rooms are identical, but the ones closer to the beach will save you some walking and give you a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
northern ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed here in July 2013 for 4 days with my wife and daughter in 2 rooms. It is like a small 60 room boutique hotel next door to the comparatively rather poor relation Neptune Paradise (i say this as it appears a bit more dingy once you cross over into its grounds). Thankfully, you can use all the facilities of the Paradise hotel but the guests there cannot cross over into the Palm Beach.
Good points firstly:
The location is great, The beach is very beautiful here and unspoilt. The rooms are very nicely appointed and get top marks. Very nice balconies to chill on. The pool area is nicely done and more than enough for the hotel size. The bar area above the pool is also a great place to hang out. Staff are very friendly and helpful and I couldn't say a bad thing about anyone here
Bad points:
The food here is exactly the same every day as the Paradise next door. We had just arrived from North Coast in the whitesands sarova and unfortunately the comparison was like night and day. The food in this place is for a 3 star hotel, not 4. Vegetarian food for my wife was unimaginative. If this place was rated 3 star, I would say nothing on this point. But it isn't. They need to try harder for this rating of hotel.
The beds are very hard. If you like this, then ignore this point. If not, beware.
This last point is a strange one which I cant figure out. You are given a complimentary bottle of red wine in the room when you arrive (which is a nice touch). Then after day one when your complimentary bottle of water from the room runs out they don't replace it. I phoned reception only to be told to walk down to the bar and refill the old bottle from a dispenser!!!! Cant figure out that they can afford to give you a bottle of wine but are too cheap to replace your water every night like any other hotel.
If you like alcohol, be prepared to pay a little. It may be "all inclusive", but the free stuff is...well, not great. But then again this is usually they way in all except the best all inclusive hotels.
I scored this 4 stars. If I could have scored it 3.5 stars I would. But I think it would be too cruel to score it 3. It is a very nice hotel. Competition however is creeping up. When you are the only show in town you can get away with a few faults here and there but there are some classy joints opening up now like Swahili Beach a few miles up, which means that hotels like this need to work on the bad points. Improve the food for this hotel. Don't leave it the same as next doors.

Room Tip: all rooms are the same. Ask for one close to bar/pool. That way you might get a sea view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lodz, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We are family from Poland 2PAX+2CHD. We are coming back to this excellent place. It is not going only about the rooms. More important is that you have possibility to walk far on the beach. If you turn left from hotel there is only one another hotel which you have to pass and after few kilometers of almost virgin beaches. We were first time in this hotel in 2009 and coming back every year for few days after safaris with JT Julius, which we can seriously recommend!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Our second week in Kenya (after week 1 on safari) and it was absolutely amazing. In April the hotel was really empty so we basically had a private pool - which was very large and always had some part in the shade which was great for me as usually I don't like to swim during the heat of the day due to my fair skin. Staff were very attentive and friendly and room was always well made up. There was always a large choice to food available as it was buffet service and meal times were very convenient.

One thing to note is the journey time from mombassa airport. You have to travel across a ferry which means the journey can take between 2 and 4 hours in a very hot humid climate! Once we arrived though we stayed in the hotel complex throughout our entire stay

Word of advice for general when travelling in Kenya - take some small change with you as everyone expects a tip. Although while at the hotel we just left a tip at the end of our stay for the staff who we had been served by. (April is off peak so there was limited staff on but still often more staff than guests).

Trip booked through http://www.explorerkenya.com/ who were fab and we would definitely recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We thorougly enjoyed our stay at this remarkable place, The welcome was so warm and friendly. The rooms were spacious and clean. We stayed for 7 nights and the food was different every day, fresh veg and fruit as much as you wanted, The staff were attentive and jolly. Would highly recommend this fabulous hotel for couples and newly weds. The animation team were encouraging and the entertainment was very professional. We would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nieuwpoort, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

When I stayed in this hotel a few years ago, guests of the adjecent hotel Neptune paradise were not allowed in the pool, bar or restaurant of the Palm Beach. We had an other color of bracelet. Can someone who stayed recently in this hotel tell me if that is still th case? I would like to return, but I have to be sure that all is still as calm as it was a few years ago.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Mombasa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Superb hotel
Nice and welcoming people
They gave a good discount
Good food and nice atmosphere
Good rooms
Enjoyed our stay there
Pool entertainment and night entertainment was good
Too.
Must stay place

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Neptune Palm Beach Boutique Resort & Spa All Inclusive? Share your experiences!