“Hustle and bustle.” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #3 of 9 Attractions in Kumasi
Type: Flea/ Street Markets, Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: This is supposedly one of the largest markets on the continent.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
453 attraction reviews
1,144 helpful votes 1,144 helpful votes
“Hustle and bustle.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Wow. This place is quite interesting. I took a tour of Kejetia Market on my first day in Kumasi and I’m still trying to process the experience. Located roughly in the center of Kumasi, there is a large sign on Fuller Street that approximates the entry to the market proper. We started off climbing a faded pink building on the western edge to get a bird’s eye view of the surroundings and then proceeded on foot for the tour.

The market functions as kind of a Walmart for the local population, with individual sellers taking the place of a large corporation. Everything is for sale here: beef, fish, spices, snails, clothing, garden tools, textiles, etc. Not only are people selling all of these things but also making them in front of your eyes, often from recycled products.

For those who enjoy just watching people live their lives, walking through here will be a cherished memory. I would recommend touring with a guide as I was able to appreciate finer points of how things operate and I think I saw a wider range of services and products than if I had just wandered around. The closest thing I can compare this to is Jerusalem’s Old City and even then the comparison falls a bit short just do to the sheer size of the place. Amazing.

Visited April 2011