“Just...awesome!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Ha'apai Whale and Sail offer whale watching in season (July to October), day sailing charters and island transfers to Uoleva. All our boats are comfortable, have good shade, exceed Tongan maritime safety requirements and our staff have extensive seatime and experience.We carry a maximum of 8 customers to further ensure comfort and also maximize the chances of swimming with the whales.
New Zealand
“Just...awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Haya!

Went to Uoleva for a week last August and was lucky to swim with the whales...thanks a lot Craig for that awesome experience out there...what a rush of adrenaline!
A full day on the water spotting the whales, getting close to them, swimming with them...simply mind blowing! Lots of respect for the whales from Craig and his team...you could really feel the passion...priceless.
Definitively something to put on a bucket list.

Visited August 2012

Los Angeles
“Outstanding experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We did it!!!, me and 4 friends went to swim with the whales in July 2012 and the experience was much better than we could imagine. We had several swims with mother, calve and male escolt (you will not realize how big and grace can be that animal until you see it).
We felt really well attended by Craig and company, squeezing at maximum all our possibilities having a great respect by the whales all the time, making us feel really comfortable all the time. Thank you very much Craig for everything, thank you Hanna as well for your attention, information and smile and of course, thank you to (...i forgot your name.....sorry...) the stunning whale spotter, such amazing eyes!!!
Hope to see you soon again

Visited July 2012
Auckland
“whale and sail is very correct”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

had an amazing time on the water with craig and his yacht gwendolyn
we had a couple of amazing swims with the whales and a good time eating and drinking on the way back under sail
much better whaleswimming in haapai as there are way less operators than vavau.
far less aggrevation from other operators as i found the case in vavau
whaleswimming from a yacht is never going to be a quick trip but far more peaceful than being bounced around

Visited August 2011
Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“An amazing absolutely amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

My friends and I went to Ha'apai for a short break whilst there we swam with the whales. We were told that Whale and Sail were really good so we took that advice and went with Craig and his crew. Well what a brilliant day we had. Whilst swimming with the whales we watched a baby and mother play around and sing. The sound waves from the singing penetrated through our bodies, I had never felt something like that before. An experience I will never forget. I was so impressed when I got home I booked a trip for my family to go 2 weeks later. On that trip we swam with the whales 5 times and saw so much activity out of the water, once again amazing. My husband and 11 year old daughter thought is was also amazing. The water was so clear at one point we could see the barnacles on the mother.
Craig and his crew are brilliant. I like that they respect the whales and their territory so at no time did I feel we were intruding, just sitting back and watching. We always entered the water quietly so as not to scare them. I had heard stories from other friends who had done it with other providers and they said the driver chased the whales whilst they were swimming and they were thrown out of the boat going quiet fast and you only saw them briefly.
Lunch is included with a cup of tea.
Staff get really excited when they see whales which really excites you.
You are only allowed 4 people in the water at one time with the guide. The first time we went it was only myself and 3 friends so we got every chance to swim with the whales.
The second time we had to share with another couple which was fine as there were so many whales around.
Both times I went whale watching were brilliant, this is definitely up there on my list of the most amazing things I have ever done.

Visited September 2011