“Money Stolen, Dishonest/Unfriendly Staff” 1 of 5 stars

Refugio Del Turista
Av. Santa Cruz 244, Tupiza, Bolivia   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Tupiza B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Money Stolen, Dishonest/Unfriendly Staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Room rates at Hotel Mitru were too expensive for me so I took their suggestion to stay for two nights at their sister property Refugio del Turista. Huge mistake! From the beginning, the staff was not very accommodating. They were not friendly nor were they informative about their own properties or about Tupiza (no map, no hotel information, no attempt to speak slowly/explain when it was clear that my Spanish skills were weak). They do not monitor the front door after around 10pm. The first night I stayed, a few travellers got locked out which was very disruptive when they had to ring the bell for 20 minutes around midnight to be let in. There is no wifi, breakfast, or lockers. Since there were no lockers for my valuables, I slept with my money belt underneath my pillow, the first time in over a month of travel. On the morning of my checkout I packed up and left, I was the last person to check out. Stupidly I forgot my money belt hidden from view under my pillow. I realized shortly after and ran back in a panic (within about 30 minutes). The receptionist/housekeeper and had already entered my room to change the bed. My money belt was gone and she denied ever having seen it, although no one else was there. I stood in front of her in tears, begging for my passport back, and she simply stood there smirking at me. I contacted the police, who did question her, but unfortunately there was not much they could do. I will never again support this business or the sister businesses nor would I recommend them to anyone else.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

4 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
jena
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We stayed for a couple of nights in a twin room with shared bathroom (80B a night, including towels if needed).
Our ROOM on the second floor was huge and bright due to the big window to the street. It had two very comfortable beds, table and chair and was very clean.
The shared BATHROOM was just nexy door, with an excellent hot shower. It was very well cleaned every morning.
There is a big KITCHEN for the use of the guest.
The STAFF was usually very friendly and helpful.

All these points would give the place 4 stars. So here the reason why they only get three:
- The KITCHEN is huge and very clean but there is almost nothing to cook with! So if you are a bunch of israeli friends, forget about cooking big dinners with 2 pots, a pan, 2 glasses, 4 cups, and cutlery for 4.
- There is NO WIFI. You can use wifi and the swimming pool at the "mother hotel", but still.. Wifi is standard nower days.
- LAUNDRY is quiet expensive (15B/kg) and clothes didn´t smell very clean afterwards.

All in all easy steps to improve and make it a really good option for your stay in Tupiza.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the first or second floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Imst, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We wanted to stay at the Hotel Mitru first but they offered us a room in el refugio, because it was cheaper and we didn't want to stay very long. We were two couples and both got a room with more beds then we needed, so we had huge rooms. I guess it didn't had heating but lots of blankets. There was hot water in the showers. If you wanted to use the bathroom on the groundfloor you had to go outside of the building but it was okay for me, and on the first floor were really nice bathrooms. The kitchen was basic but okay.

We could go to the Mitru Hotel to use the Wifi, as Tupiza isn't that big, thats not that big deal.
And you can use the pool there too

Location was okay, one block away from the market/cook shops.

For us it was a good option, clean and warm, nothing special but good price. If you don't need luxury I would totally recommend it!

Room Tip: The room in the second floor was quite nice, the shared bathroom on this floor was top!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Refugio Del Turista? Share your experiences!