“Excellent colonial style hotel” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Joffre to your Saves list
Hotel Joffre
BP 160 18 Bd Joffre | 501 Tamatave, Toamasina (Tamatave), Madagascar   |
Richmond upon Thames, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent colonial style hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

The Joffre is a very good hotel for a decent price in the centre of Tamatave close to the Place de l'Independence and large market. The room is spacious, although without mosquito nets, and free wifi throughout. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We didn't eat dinner in the hotel but the breakfast was very good and decent value

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I thought this hotel was really nice, despite finding Tamatave quite intimidating. We had a suite that had a seperate lounge and bedroom. Everything was very modern and clean. The food in the restaurant was top notch but we were the only people there which we thought looked ominous but it was one of the nicer dinners and service we had during our trip. The staff got up at 4.30am with us and made us a lovely breakfast. Couldn't ask for much more. And there was free wifi in the room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

I currently write this from the hotel reception catching up on my emails using the free Wifi after a day of meetings in Tamatave port.

The recently renovated rooms are excellent, bathrooms a good size and clean.

If I has to give a downside, it would be that the breakfast was pretty basic and that you could not access the free wifi from your room and had to venture downstairs into the restaurant/bar/reception area. Other than that, I would certainly recommend the Joffre for anyone visiting Tamatave.

• Stayed February 2013
Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I agree with "Renovated" who said "When I started reading the negative reviews for this hotel, I thought I had the wrong hotel." I ended up staying at the Calypso (separate review) which is excellent, but I spent about 1/2 hr checking this place out and would stay here if Calypso was full. It was clean, the rooms were nice and light (they had big rooms and smaller cheaper rooms) and the staff were relaxed but helpful. The wifi was free and fast enough and the restaurant was very clean (I ate there). Within the standard of Tamatave, this is a good place. I think this hotel is getting treated somewhat unfairly.

Room Tip: big room with balcony
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

When I started reading the negative reviews for this hotel, I thought I had the wrong hotel and there were two with the same name. I had a great experience at this hotel - stayed there one day. I read on their website that rooms had recently been renovated, thus my satisfaction with the hotel. My room had a balcony although, it was a busy street, new and modern furnishings/bathroom with no insects to be seen anywhere. I noticed many business travelers staying there as well. My interaction with the manager Georgina was a terrific experience because we found many similarities in our lives for discussion. I loved the restaurant food with the Asian flair and the staff were all very professionally trained. I gave this a 4 star as it is a great Mada hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Joffre? Share your experiences!