“Good camp, but staff could have been a little friendlier” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Camp Xakanaxa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moremi Game Reserve
Camp Xakanaxa
You added Camp Xakanaxa to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Lodge   |   Xakanaxa Region, Moremi Game Reserve | Private Bag 310, Maun, Botswana, Moremi Game Reserve, Botswana   |
Portland, Oregon
“Good camp, but staff could have been a little friendlier”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

When I checked in as a solo traveler, the manager seemed rushed and uninterested. I was in camp for 3 days, and the manager never again greeted me or spoke to me. It was as if I was invisible! When I required something, or had a question, I always asked Lettie. The bar was locked up during the day, so an afternoon thirst quencher was out of the question. We stayed up late one night at the dinner table with some of the group (by "late" I mean 9:30!) and the staff was visibly irritated. Several guests commented on it! The service was so-so. The location is lovely, however, and the food pretty good. I would not return here, though, because there are too many other places just as lovely with much better service. A couple from Germany agreed with me!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
walbots, Manager at Camp Xakanaxa, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Patricia B

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us at Xakanaxa Camp, we remember you well as the "Queen of Sheba" and for your great Amarula pouring abilities.

We are however a little confused by your feedback and wish to justify as follows:

I am Lettie, and have been the Manager of Xakanaxa Camp for many years. I am the person that you approached when you needed assistance and I am quite confident that all your requests addressed with me were attended to with pleasure. I am ably assisted by Tim and Ona, who handle the back of house and administrative functions for the camp, so for all intent you were 100% correct when issues were addressed with myself. In saying this, I am terribly sorry that you felt that you were being ignored and even more so that you found my staff and i to be unfriendly. Whilst we are deeply disappointed by these comments, please understand that not for one second did we mean any malice or purposefully project unfriendliness towards you. I can assure you that if you had raised these issues with me whilst you were there, I would have done my utmost to rectify.

There are two bars at Xakanaxa Camp, one in the lounge area and one in the dinning room area. We do lock the one in the dining room area when we are not serving meals or when guests are not seated around the table. The bar in the lounge however is unlocked throughout the day. As you know, emphasis for the atmosphere at Xakanaxa Camp is based on a "feel at home" basis and all our guests are welcome to help themselves at the bar at any time. Should you not want to pour your own drink, my staff and I are always available to assist you.

Our guests and their enjoyment of their experience with us is very important to us. The campfire at Xakanaxa Camp is loved by all and certainly we are confused by your comments concerning feeling pressured to go to bed.

I can only offer my heartfelt apologies for the manner in which you felt you were welcomed and made to feel welcome at Xakanaxa Camp. Comments such as yours are indeed not often heard at all and I would have loved the opportunity to rectify them whilst you were still in camp with us.

With many thanks and kindest regards

Lettie and the Xakanaxa Camp staff.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Xakanaxa is probably the most amazing place I've ever stayed at, and I've stayed in the heart of luxury in Paris, so that says a lot.

What can I say: amazing location, amazing staff, amazing food and an amazing experience.

I dream of the day that I can return again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
walbots, Director of Sales at Camp Xakanaxa, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Christopher M

Many thanks for your kind review of your stay with us at Xakanaxa Camp. We are glad that our service, your experience and the destination lived up to your expectations.

We will gladly welcome you back in the future.

With kindest regards - Lettie, Tim and the Staff at Xakanaxa Camp
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Travelled as group of 9 in August 13. This camp far exceeded any expectation. Our hosts were very friendly and always readily available to answer any question or meet any need. All the staff were lovely.
The rooms were beautifully decorated; the attention to detail incredible. Beautiful hot showers and comfortable beds at the end of a fun filled safari day! They really thought of everything, including fleece-lined ponchos and blankets for early morning safaris. When you return at night they greeted us all with the torches from our rooms.
The grounds are well kept and the actual location was incredible. The food was fresh and delicious.
Our guide Ngandi was very knowledgeable and really communicated well and got involved with the group. He had excellent tracking skills. We will miss his good humour.
The camp works on a good schedule, with meals and safari times. Really was an exceptional place and somewhere we would return to in a heartbeat. Thank you Lettie and your wonderful team. Your doing a great job!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
walbots, Manager at Camp Xakanaxa, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Ashlee C,

It was wonderful having you and your group stay with us and I thank you for your wonderful review on your recent stay with us at Xakanaxa Camp.

We are very happy that the heart and soul of Xakanaxa Camp appealed to you and that your saw the value in our team. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the incredible surrounding that we are blessed to operate in.

Ngande is going to be very happy to read your comments as are the other camp staff, this kind of feedback is always incredibly motivating.

We certainly hope that one day we will be able to welcome you back to Xakanaxa Camp for some more exciting safari action and of course, a little authentic safari relaxation as well.
Please give out best wishes to the rest of your family and friends from your group as well.
With warm regards,

Lettie, Timothy, Ngande and the team at Xakanaxa Camp
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Seventeen years ago we travelled through Chobe, Savuti and Moremi and slept in our own tents at designated camping places. Now that we are older, we appreciate the luxury of Xakanaka Camp with its comfortable beds.

Because we had a guide we saw many more animals than otherwise. In fact our guide, Water, was a genius at finding game, and a gentleman at looking after guests. Letty and Mock, the managers, also do an excellent job of creating a civilised and charming atmosphere. The romance and beauty of the whole experience is something which will stay with me.

A number of our fellow guests had flown in from the US for a multiple safari experience in several locations and they then intended to fly straight back home again. What they are missing out on is experiencing a normal Botswana town or village, interacting with Batswana, and encountering something of the Botswana described in The First Ladies Detective Agency! So I would say it is worthwhile spening a night or two in Maun to learn a bit about the culture.

Before we arrived we thought that it was rather expensive. Now, knowing what you get for your money, we think it was good value.

Room Tip: We had rooms 12 and 13 which were farthest away from the public areas, something which we liked. Hip...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Xakanaxa M, Sales and Marketing at Camp Xakanaxa, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Barfly67,

Thank you for your wonderful review on your recent stay with us at Xakanaxa Camp.

It makes us very proud to know that you enjoyed your time with us and truly appreciate the beauty of our surroundings and the camp. Thank you for mentioning staff by name, we will be sure to send them a copy of your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kind Regards,

The team at Xakanaxa Camp
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The location of this camp on the river in the Okavango Delta is absolutely perfect. As part of a photographic safari group this was our first experience in Botswana and the memories will remain forever. The hospitality, service and staff were all excellent. The wildlife viewing was also fantastic and the guides were wonderful in every aspect. This is a very special part of the world. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Xakanaxa M, Sales and Marketing at Camp Xakanaxa, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Lauretta S,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay at Xakanaxa Camp. We are delighted to hear that you had a superb time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Camp in the future.

We will pass on your feedback to the staff members at Camp.

The Team at Xakanaxa Camp
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I can't recommend this camp enough! Everything about it is perfect ~ the location, the layout, the tents, the common areas, the pools, the food, the drinks but mostly the wonderful staff!!! We hated to leave after spending 4 nights at this great camp. This is the way to be "on safari in Africa". It was a pleasure to wake before dawn to enjoy a light breakfast before setting out on our morning safari. Our guide Baams was excellent. Everyday he made our safari as perfect as it could have possibly been. We saw lots of wildlife along the way including elephants, hippos, leopards, giraffes, zebras, lions, warthog, antelope, monkeys and many more. The tents are very comfortable and the ambiance at night (candle and lamp light only) is beautiful. The boat cruise, mokoro ride and sundowner on the water was another wonderful experience! The meals were always very good and service was excellent. If you are anywhere near this part of Africa, make special arrangements to get here. You won't be disappointed. I truly hope to return someday.....my daughter and I were treated like royalty.

Room Tip: All travelers stay in tents along the water. Middle numbers are closer to the common area.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Xakanaxa M, Sales and Marketing at Camp Xakanaxa, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear BridesMom2AJ,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your photographs and review of your recent stay with us at Xakanaxa Camp. We are excited to see that you appreciated our camp and enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for mentioning the service and the food, we pride ourselves on our home cooked meals, and will be sure to send the chefs a copy of your review. We also appreciate you mentioning your guide Baams by name and will ensure he too receives a copy of the review.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

The Team at Xakanaxa Camp
australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Flying in with Mack Air from another camp we were able to have magnificent views over the Delta. The camp is located in the Moremi National Park area and was beautifully appointed with many lounging areas all with lovely views of the Delta waters. The tents were extremely well appointed and the lighting outside the electricity times (ie in morning and night) was by lamps and candles. There was a lap pool as well as a smaller plunge pool/spa located on the waterfront. All foods, beverages, safaris morning and afternoon teas, wines and beers, soft drinks and snack were included. Also included was a trip on the Delta which resulted in viewings on hippos, lilies, birdlife and the sunset. The guide, Baams was excellent and was involved in the program to clean up the invasive salvinia molesta weed that had infiltrated areas of the waterways. The on-land safaris resulted in us seeing many animals (large and small), birds, and landscapes. All staff were friendly and the food was excellent. Would love to return.

Room Tip: Be prepared for the cold mornings and warm days.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Xakanaxa M, Sales and Marketing at Camp Xakanaxa, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear ms62,

Thank you for taking the time to post your photographs and review of your recent stay with us at Xakanaxa Camp. We are thrilled to see that you appreciated our camp and enjoyed your time with us. It sounds like you had some great game viewing!

Thank you for mentioning the food, we pride ourselves on our home cooked meals, and will be sure to send the chefs a copy of your review. We also appreciate you mentioning your guide Baams by name and will ensure he too receives a copy of the review.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

The team at Xakanaxa Camp

Been to Camp Xakanaxa? Share your experiences!