“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Orinoco Delta Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tucupita
Orinoco Delta Lodge
You added Orinoco Delta Lodge to your Saves list
Orinoco River Delta | Delta Amacuro, Tucupita, Venezuela   |
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Being here Nov. 14 - 15. Wonderful and relaxing place! Had not expected a place and service like this! Wonderful people and confort deep in the djungle. Rekommend a flashlight, then the power goeas out quite early. In our case 9.15 pm. Exating boattrip!

Room Tip: Bring a flashlight or headlamp.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We met Kevin & Sophie at this lodge - they managed the bar, worked in the kitchen and seemed to be jack of all trades. Alexis was our guide and Jose the cook. They were all helpful and catered to our dietary needs. The retreat is clean and the rooms quite spacious and the pathways lit by kerosene lamps at night. The 'little huts' on stilts on the river were quaint but comfortable. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed at the lodge for 3 nights and 4 days. I was expecting to be rouging it, but was pleasantly surprised. The cabins were very clean and so were all rest of the common facilities. The cold shower was a little shocking in the morning, but it sure does wake you up! I have many dietary restrictions and was thrilled that the lodge was able to make accommodations. The excursions were both educational as well as entertaining. I would definitely return and recommend the lodge to friends.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just made my 4th visit to the Orinoco Delta Lodge. The owners, Anthony and Maria, are wonderful, welcoming people who have built a beautiful retreat in the jungles of the Delta. The camp is spacious and comfortable, with large cabins strung along a lovely jungle walk, which is illuminated by oil lamps at night. The central lodge area is an open, inviting space, with plenty of room to enjoy the company of fellow guests or find your own quiet corner for relaxation. There is a funky little bar and unforgettable riverside dinners by candlelight in the evenings. The food is very good - cooked by the resident chef. With prior arrangement, the owners and kitchen staff went well out of their way to accommodate special dietary needs in our group.

The guides are always fun and concerned about everyone's well-being and satisfaction. I've organized group stays there the last two years, and everyone has walked away loving the experience and the place. It is a special place - you will want to go back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We found the Orinoco Delta Lodge to be a wonderful place to stay while exploring the Orinoco Delta. The lodge began twenty years ago with the mission of providing visitors a comfortable place to sleep, eat and relax while being introduced to this amazing part of Venezuela. I found that it continues to successfully do that. The food is delicious and substantial, the staff was very helpful and the guides were knowledgeable and friendly. When we notified them that we were vegetarian, they were very accomodating and provided us with creative and tasty meals. The Orinoco Delta is a relatively remote location and the lodge is not intended to be a resort, but a place to provide visitors with the resources to explore the Delta. The main lodge has comfortable sleeping accomodations with mosquito netting and a great river front area that allowed us to watch and listen to the wide variety of birds that wander through that region. We were fortunate to also be able to stay at the Jakara camp which is run by the lodge. This is an amazing place to be immersed in the Delta; it is located in a quieter and remote canal, In this location you will sleep in hammocks, well protected by mosquito netting. If this type of accomodation suits you, then I suggest you not miss the opportunity. It was actually cooler and had no mosquitos, and the proximity of the jungle meant that we got to don boots and explore with the help of the guide Orlando. We ate fresh hearts of palm, wrote messages inside palm fronds, and tried termites! WOW! Clemente and Marco made us great meals on a wood fire.

The lodge helped us with transport to and from the Maturin airport. A very friendly taxi driver was there to meet and take us to our next leg on the journey-the boat. Two of the guides were waiting at the dock in Boca de Uracoa to take us to the lodge. At the end of our four night stay, the return journey was just as easy.

We benefitted from the expertise of guides Clemente, Orlando, and Marco, and all three spoke English, found us amazing birds and animals hiding in the jungle trees, and carefully drove the boats so that we were comfortable and able to enjoy the whole trip. I hope you also get to see monkeys, sloths, river dolphins, piranha, scarlet ibis, turtles, snakes, and so many wonderful birds-we loved every opportunity for wildlife viewing.
If you want a resort, this is not the place. We wanted a trip to be close to nature and to learn about and see wildlife, with some creature comforts such as beds with netting, transportation as needed, and excellent food--we received what we hoped for, and more. The mosquitos are only fierce between 6 and 8 PM and so we donned long pants and shirts then. We visited in December and it was not too hot so that wasn't a problem.
We preferred to see the Warao people from the river side rather than to visit within the village as it seemed too personal, but you can choose what you would like to do. They live a mostly natural riverside life-the prior comment that they should have had "change" when the visitor was buying handicrafts is quite ludicrous and shows her lack of awareness of their life.
My suggestions are to take a little extra cash for the bar (drinks are not included but the delicious food is included in your lodging charge), a good flashlight if you like to read late at night, and some tip money because you will want to express your pleasure at the excellent service.

Room Tip: If you can, try to get a river side cabin so you have an unobstructed view of the sunrise over the w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I am writing this review mainly to try to balance somewhat the previous review ("Not for the Faint of Heart..."). I also am not a camping type person, but since the Orinoco Delta Lodge is in the Venezuelan jungle, it was not surprising to find that the accommodation was very basic. We stayed there for three days in late September 2012. The location is beautiful, right on the river with luxuriant vegetation. The cabins are a bit ramshackle, but large and clean with adequate bathrooms, although it is true that the shower is a small hose and there is no hot water. Our room was cleaned and made up each day, including fresh towels.

We were fortunate that there were only a small number of tourists staying there when we were, and the attention from the staff could not have been warmer or more caring. They were keen for us to experience everything the jungle and river had to offer, but sensitive to our wishes when we wanted simply to relax. We especially appreciated the excursions we were taken on by Alexis and Clemente, and Clemente went to great lengths to assist us when our driver to get to Maturin airport did not show up at the end of our stay, even though this was not the Lodge's responsibility..

The food was very good given the remote location - always freshly cooked, and plenty of it.

As an urban person, this was an unusual adventure for me, but I enjoyed it, mainly due to the great service and caring staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I have never gone camping nor slept in a tent. I was not prepared to stay in a rough place and do all the things we did. Upon arrival at Urucoa,our boat was not there. It was over an hour late. It was so hot and humid and the boat was uncovered. The boat ride was one and a half hour each way.
We went to the jungle wearing rubber boots ( I had never worn one before). Thinking that it was the only way to see the Warao Indians, I went and walked in the muck. My left foot got stuck in the muck which terrified me. It was extremely rough. After all the strenuous walking, we got back on the boat. I supposed it was a test of our frustration tolerance. We, then, went to a hut where we saw the Warao Indians selling their wares. I was disappointed because our tour brochure stated that we would go to the Warao village to see how they lived. They came to us at the lodge the next day to sell the same stuff that they did not sell the day before. I could not understand why they refused to give change or did not have change. Our hut had only screens (like that used in patios) as walls. The "shower" was a piece of tube and I had to step on top of the commode cover to reach the lever to turn it on. There were two tiny pieces of blue soap-looked like pieces of laundry soap. We were given a towel each for 2 days. The towels were very old and did not absorb much water after a shower. There was no circulating air in the hut or the reception/dining room and I have a breathing problem so it was not good. At night, we had no electricity after 10 P.M. as the generator was turned off. Two pieces of short candles given to us were not much help. They did not last long enough. I would not have given away my bigger flash light to one of our local tour guides in Merida if I had known that I would need it badly. I had a small one but I had no spare special battery for it so I used it sparingly. I was awake all night hearing all the motorboats coming and going and smelling kerosene that were used on the tiki lights outside. The bed was the hardest one I ever slept in.
The top sheet looked like a table cloth. The mosquitoes were vicious. The mosquito nets did not help. Food was so so. I bought soft drinks from the bar but I refused to pay 25 Bolivares for a green coconut. They were growing all over the place but they were charging a lot for them! The activities were limited. The next day, we went Piranha fishing. We sat on the boat in the middle of the heat with small sticks in our hands to try and catch a piranha. I would have enjoyed just seeing the birds and not staying out there that long. The best thing in that lodge were the tropical flowers such as hibiscus and Hawaiian ginger and the parrot, Rhumba . Having stayed at Waku Lodge in Canaima prior to coming to this place was like night and day. Waku Lodge was paradise to me compared to this place. A few of the staff were friendly but most of them seemed aloof. I was very disappointed! This place needs a lot of repairing and upgrading. I will not go back there.

Room Tip: They were all the same huts. There was no circulating air-not even a fan.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
OrinocoDeltaLodge, Owner at Orinoco Delta Lodge, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
We are very sad and disappointed about the guest experience with us at The Orinoco Delta Lodge.
Being the first lodge in The Delta and during our 20 years here we always thrived for excellence.
Guests satisfaction was and still our first priority. It should be taken into consideration that this is a jungle lodge, with limited facilities and comfort. We try our best to keep the lodge functioning in harmony with the surrounding environment. Any added luxury will definitely interfere with our theme. We do extend our greatest apologies to anyone who experienced any difficulties or discomfort in our lodge.

Been to Orinoco Delta Lodge? Share your experiences!