“Poor service, no internet, stupid reception desk staff” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Venezuela Playa Grande

You added Marriott Venezuela Playa Grande to your Saves list
Marriott Venezuela Playa Grande
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida El Hotel Playa Grande, Catia La Mar 1162, Venezuela   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Catia La Mar
Seattle
“Poor service, no internet, stupid reception desk staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I normally stay in the city, at the Alba (former Hilton) where the building is a bit old, but there is free wifi and an excellent full breakfast included. I decided to stay close to the airport my last night, because I had an early morning flight.

Things went wrong right from the start. This hotel has no wifi! Only wired network access. And the jack in my room did not work. (I even tried my own Ethernet cable.) To top it off, the moron at the front desk insisted that I have to shut down my laptop before plugging in the Ethernet cable. I did it to humor him, knowing that he was clueless. In the end, no internet service.

And I had to take a taxi to the airport, because their "shuttle doesn't start until 5 AM" even though the "shuttle" that picked me up the night before was the same taxi. He wanted to charge 180 Bolivares (it costs 250 Bolivares to get to the airport all the way from the center of Caracas).

Overall, a very poor experience.

The gym was OK.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Everything was OK, until they made a mistake with my room, instead of 2 beds, just one, the elevators take forever to come down or up, have to remind the front desk for the extra bed 3 times, no towels for 3 people or anything else, it toke 4 calls for me to get what my family need, the staff was great, but the front desk people were very intense, for what you paid your money is not worth, I will pick a better hotel next time. OHHH BTW never got a bedroom with 2 beds.
Good luck to you.

J

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

The good thing about the hotel is that is close to the airport, and with the trafic from Caracas to the airport it is safer to stay here.
Rooms are very good, staf at the counter not the most frendly.
We need it help finding another hotel, since they could not help us extending our stay and they did not help at all, to bad for customer service.

The Bar sad story, my friend ask for a Vodka and only God knows what Vodka they had there, amazing that being a Marriot is like that.

Try to get some bolivares, it will be less expensive that if you pay with credit card

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Room are nice and up to date. Nice pool area with ocean view. The rooms are about $300.00 US. I had breakfast there for $40.00 US and the service was very bad. I took a taxi from the airport to the hotel for $7.00 US and the return trip from the taxi in front of the hotel was $38.00 US. The only good thing is you can charge the taxi from the hotel to your room. Probably the best place to stay by the Caracas airport but be prepaired to pay.

Room Tip: Dont wander too far from the hotel its in a bad area and DO NOT go out at night.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

A lovely new facility, near the airport, near the ocean, with a great view....just don't wander off the hotel grounds.

The rooms are spacious, modern, and ALL overlook the ocean thanks to some clever archetecture. The lobby is spacious and the entire staff could speak english.

The bar/restaurant/pool is as good as any in LA, Cape Town or Sydney.

Free wireless internet is available in the lobby if you ask for a password, but in-room wired & wireless is absurdly priced. (Why are we still playing this fee-for-internet game? Water, air conditioning, television and internet should be included in the price....especially at the prices charged for hotels in Caracas!)

The hotel shuttle to the airport in the morning begins service promptly at 0545, and the concierge promised that if the shuttle was late, she would book me a cab at the hotel's cost. It wasn't an issue, and making my 0800 flite home was never in doubt. I didn't even try to catch the shuttle from the airport to the hotel, however. It's a 15 minute cab ride.
Choose your cabs wisely...this is Caracas.

In all, if you're one of the many whose flights arrive into CCS late at night or departs early in the morning, and you don't want to risk the one-hour taxi ride into the city, the Marriott PG makes for a great, albeit expensive, restful evening.

Oh....and the fresh, baby Red Snapper, poolside as the sun sets is one of life's great pleasures.

Room Tip: All the rooms are ocean-view. Pick your size ($$)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My pre-arranged transfer from the airport to this hotel left me stranded at the airport for several hours. Thanks to the Passengers Assistance Dept. who paged Mr. Cesar Valero (Marriott airport representative) who arranged for my shuttle service.

Checking into this hotel was friendly and efficient. The concierge supervisor that afternoon (May 3rd) reassured me that I should be okay to take the 5:45 A.M. shuttle to the airport for my 8:05 AM Delta flight the following morning. He worked at Delta Airlines so he was very familiar with the check-in policies for International flights.

I was in a room in the 11th floor (1123) over looking the pool and the beach. It was a big room with a flat screen TV, Wifi connection and a king-size bed.

I had a light dinner (pasta with meat sauce and dinner rolls with dried tomatoes) in the restaurant downstairs. The service was efficient and friendly.

Since I was on a very hectic schedule during my tour of Venezuela, I took this opportunity to relax by watching TV and doing nothing else that evening. They had many English speaking channels.

This was, by far, the biggest and best hotel room I have stayed in during my tour of Venezuela. I stayed in a total of 11 hotels throughout the country.

The next morning, while I was waiting for my shuttle at the lobby, the staff brought hot coffee and pastries for those people who were waiting. The shuttle pickup to and from the airport was free.

I will stay here again, if I get back to Caracas.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators on the higher floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Most of my travelling plans include having to spend a night in Caracas in orther to be able to get an early flight abroad. In the past I tried the Eurobuilding close to the airport and had a terrible experience. So, last time I decided to try Marriott Playa Grande. Just want travellers to have in mind that the hotel is located about 15 min drive away from the airport without traffic.I understand there is shuttle service but whenever you arrive to Caracas after 11:00 pm, call the hotel and ask for a taxi to pick you up for security reasons. The airport and the hotel are surrounded by poor areas. I got to the hotel very late that night and the front desk service was helpful and kind. I got a nice room with a confortable bed. Breakfast was available but I was short of time so got coffee and sandwich at the bar area close the lobby before leaving. They also had fresh orange juice and yogurt. The price of the hotel is quite high but Venezuelan hotel standards cannot be compared to those of other countries. Our reality force you to plan carefully your trip and definitely choose a place to stay where you can be safe and sleep well. I got all that at the Marriott this time.
I found out that there is a Renaissance hotel in Caracas that opened recently. So,it might be an option for those travellers that have to spend more than one night in Caracas. It is well located (La Castellana neighborhood) surrounded by many places where to eat.

Room Tip: If you are planning to stay during the weekend or vacation period of time for Venezuelans, book in a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Marriott Venezuela Playa Grande? Share your experiences!