“Best Steak in town” 4 of 5 stars

Description: Solo por reservacion
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Best Steak in town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I like big thick Beef Steak and yes they had it! Burned on the outside and red
in the center! The price excellent and the people Full Of Joy!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“A Kuwaiti's Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

La isabela is a beautiful little restaraunt tucked in the back street of Los Chorros, it took us a while to find but it was worth the search. One of the things I really enjoyed about my experience is the direct interaction you have with the amazing Chef Edwardo, where as he takes care of his clients in a more personal level, he makes you feel like your are dining with family. The restaurant is a little house that has been remodeled which gives you a very homely vibe that you could really appreciate with loved ones.
Dinner was an absoulte Treat for me and my wife, due in most part because we were very very lucky to have our first dinner there on lobster night. The theme of the night was excellent. the menu consisted of different types and dishes of lobster, "Lobster Soup, Lostster Steak, Lobster Ceviche, the most amazing Lobster Arepa, Etc...
If you havnt been there, give the chef call and try it at least once in your life, you wont regret it...

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Phenomenal dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Great place, fantastic service and, above all, a superb meal. Eduardo takes good care of his visitors by walking everyone through his carefully crafted guided menu. The food was simply amazing, incorporating ingredients we had never known of and later learned he himself brings along from his many trips around the world for the sole purpose of the delight of his guests. It`s simply a recommended experience for any foodie or gourmand in Caracas or visiting town.
You have got to add this to your to-do in Caracas.
Thanks for a fantastic evening.

Caracas
“A big surprise for an ol' time Caraqueño”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Living in Caracas for over 40 years, I was surprised, after searching Caracas restaurants in Trip Advisor, to find a place called La Isabela rated number one. The biggest surprise is that it is maybe 10 blocks from my apartment. Never heard of it.

I made my investigation and found the phone for the owner/chef Eduardo Moreno. I sent him a text message (best way to converse with him) and got on his emailing list. About every week I received via email, the menu of the week, naming perhaps 8-10 plates, each unique on it's own but taken together, this was something I had to try.

Seems Eduardo cooks on Thursdays, Friday and Saturdays, at least this week it was like that. My wife was traveling and I figured it would be a good time to spend the evening trying this culinary discovery. Back and forth texting resulted in a reservation, 8.30 on a Thursday. Sent the driver during the day to find the "quinta", totally unmarked as a restaurant save for the name La Isabel on the wall, not to get lost. A local GPS or Google Maps, or Waze will find it easily in Los Chorros, a quiet eastern Caracas suburb. I arrived promptly at 8.30, the first guest to do so. Once we pulled up to the retractable door, a valet greeted me and led me to the reception area of the home.

You would never really know that this was a restaurant, as the receiving area is like any other beautifully decorated traditional quinta in Caracas, with an outdoor patio to have your pre-dinner drinks, some delectable "pasapalos", all very small yet very tasty. A perfect preview to what was to follow. The patio faces a typical garden area, with another intimate sitting area for four persons in the garden itself. You certainly feel as if you have been invited into Eduardo's private home.

I walked around a bit, heading towards the "dining room", a simple yet once again typical colonial area, with perhaps five or six small preset tables of various sizes...as few as two diners, or as many as perhaps six...can't be certain. I noticed there were two single setting tables, obviously one for me and one for another single.

Guests began to arrive and I was sitting on the patio, with seating for perhaps six or seven, and a young couple joined me. Now I suppose one can approach this situation in one of two ways. The situation lends itself to striking up a conversation with your fellow diners, or to keep to yourself. I chose to converse and soon was introduced to the other single guest, a gentleman from Caracas who lives in Miami. Noting that we were both solo, we naturally struck up a conversation and eventually shared a two person table.

The evening is a set menu affair with one dish following another, beginning with what Eduardo calls ANTIPASTO, each presented in an individual dish or tray arrangement, always fresh from the kitchen, obviously made at the moment and quickly served. The variety is vast and unusual...this is no ordinary restaurant. "Peperonatta al ciocolatto blanco y focaccia caliente recién salida del horno" was a particular favorite of mine, as was the "pizza with mascapone, tomato, brotes de rucula and pepino fresco". The "mini arancini relleno de mozzarella" I could have devoured three or four. The antipasto selections finished with a "pizza (really a pizza-ette) with mascapone, tomato, brotes de rugula and pepino fresco". So good we demanded a second round. Eduardo of course, obliged.

We moved to the dining room and took our assigned places...by couple or group. You are not at all obligated to sit with others, but I am certain, should you have made new friends during the antipasto session, arrangements could be made.

The table portion of the evening consisted of five presentations. Among them were a broth of parmesan regiano, chestnuts, pancetta and fresh celery. My favorite were the raviolis stuffed with fontina, truffled in pistachio butter, served with a terrine of mortadella italiana. The last treat was a truly superb Maialino (Lechón) prepared with a honey amaretto served over a fresh mushroom risotto.

As you can see, these are not ordinary preparations. You won't find this class of cuisine combined with this ambience anywhere in Caracas. The only true competition I can find would be Le Gourmet in the Tamanaco Hotel. Apparently Eduardo and Elias Murciano are good friends, but to compare one with the other is unfair. The atmospheres of the two restaurants are totally different and the concepts are diametrically opposed. At La Isabela, a totally new menu awaits you each time you visit and the open air ambiance is both informal and friendly. Le Gourmet is a formal setting, to a degree that men's jackets are required. But I digress.....

The meal was nearly finished off by the romero ice-cream with figs over a waffle like cookie. It just hit the spot. I say nearly because as dessert was being served, Eduardo appeared in the dining room with an unlit Cuban cigar. My eyes lit up. Upon seeing my interest, Eduardo didn't hesitate to offer his cigar to me and suggested we retire to the open air garden to enjoy a Zacapa rum with the cigars. This is precisely what I mean by informal yet friendly. We had a wonderful time enjoying our "toys" in a totally unhurried fashion. My dining guest asked at what time La Isabela closes, to which Eduardo replied "whenever you are finished." And I believe he meant it.

As you can see, this is a special place. I suggest you have a very light lunch the day of your visit to allow yourself to indulge in the myriad of culinary delights placed before you. If you can arrange to savor the evenings delights with two couples, it would be perfect. Or if you have that special someone you wish to quietly impress, you couldn't do better than La Isabela. At a table for two, the unintrusive service and the exciting surprises you will experience together could be quite an aphrodisiac.

When it was time to leave, the charge was BsF 2500 per person and Eduardo wouldn't hear about collecting the the cigar....a $ 30 gift for sure. I'll bring him a few of my best Padrons on my next visit. I could easily get used to this.

“Before and After”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

As a 'foodie', a perfect evening for me would include exquisite food, delicious wine, and a spectacular setting. Last month I discovered that my search for that perfect place in my city had come to an end. Chef Eduardo Moreno managed to create a combination of everything you're looking for when choosing a restaurant; a mixture of unique flavors from all over the world, prepared and served with an extraordinary technique, brought and presented to you by the Chef himself, in a beautiful house that makes the perfect environment. When it comes to exclusive cuisine, La Isabela is definitely one of a kind.

• Visited October 2013