“Very expensive but the best in Caracas” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Hotel Caracas

Save Saved
You added JW Marriott Hotel Caracas to your Saves list
JW Marriott Hotel Caracas
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Venezuela con Calle Mohedano | El Rosal, Caracas 1060, Venezuela (El Rosal)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plug IN Package
Ranked #3 of 86 hotels in Caracas
MexicoCity
“Very expensive but the best in Caracas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

If you are planning a business trip this is the hotel where you want to be, is close to Cubo Negro's offices, a regular mall called "Sambil" that offers good shops such as Zara and the area is relatively safe (prevent walking if possible). If you are in a budget skip this one, is by far the most expensive hotel I've ever stayed. The buffet breakfast offers fresh fruits but the hot meals are regular. If possible ask for the North Tower instead of South, the rooms are way better on North.

I've never encountered a single problem with staff, they're very friendly and a taxi is available within minutes, I even ask for a pick up from the office. One thing I noticed in the restaurant is that when is crowded, staff can be a little bit disorganized. Overall is a very good hotel but given the government circumstances (just ask anyone in the hotel for details) is very expensive. The menu for Room service is very good in the North Tower and the outdoor pool is great for a hot day.

Room Tip: Choose the North Tower if possible
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Maracaibo, Zulia, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I spent my last weekend here (Friday July 13th to Monday July 16th) booked via phone, and received and excellent offer $ 217 for a SPA room wich included full buffet breakfast, access to the spa and a double space room with jet shower and Jacuzzi. The food an attention at the restaurant was great. Every member of the staff from bellboys, receptionists, housekeeping an management were very helpful and friendly at all times. Simply the best hotel around due to the prices, service, location and the condition of the infrastructure. Special thanks to the front desk manager Marcos and receptionist Diana, both very top level.

Room Tip: Choose high floor rooms for less noise if staying on weekdays.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
QUITO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Seems like Chavez and his crew is running this hotel.
I can assure that the concept of a training programs & standard of service does not exist.
EVERYONE has a bad attitude.
There are not taxis parked outside, so make transportation arrangements on your own.
The rooms dont have wifi, only internet by wire.
Food was below average.
Its the worse experience I have ever had at a Marriot Hotel, this is not even close to a JW....

Sad.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

At $499 a night, Wifi and breakfast EXCLUDED; this has to be the worst Marriot experience I have ever had to endure.I tried to engage with management on why the pricing is so exhorbitant and was informed that this was because of the "government".

The rooms are mediocre and not clean...the chocolate wrappers and room service plate covers remained in the room for the duration of my stay. Although the room service salad I ordered was really good, the price was twice the price I would pay anywhere else.

Never again and will be informing the company travel agent to avoid at any cost.

Room Tip: If you prefer a bath, ask...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Caracas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two months, and can confidently state that the service here is 7/ 10. The restaurant staff was very courteous and accomodating to my family and I during our stay.

The waiters and waitresses were quite hospitable. Downside, the prices are ridiculously high. The Buffet is pretty standard as for most hotels.

The Executive Lounge is good for the most part. The view is a plus. The morning staff is excellent. I have to say a major negative for my family and I was the waiter on duty during the night. As English speakers, from the Caribbean, we felt a bit discriminated by him. Maybe it's lack of training. Who knows?Overall though, the hotel was great. I give the room, and the service generally 2 thumbs up. I wish we didn't feel that discomfort in the lounge though.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Out of all Hotels that I've used in Caracas, so far the best. Great service, excellent rooms, very quiet, very safe and one of the best example of Marriott's quality.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I spent a lot of time reviewing hotels and in particular transportation to and from the airport for my trip to Caracas. In addition from all that I read on the Caracas forums the issue of safety was generally painted pretty bleak.

The Reality...
Getting to and from the airport was not a problem whatsoever. I've traveled to every continent but have to admit I was (from all the stories I read) a bit nervous about getting around in Caracas. What cabs are legal, how much should it cost, will I be robbed etc..all this stuff was going through my mind. I used a company called taxis to caracras (www.taxitocaracas.com). I emailed them a few times to make sure everything was kool and it cost $45 (just me) each way $90 roundtrip. The driver was waiting for me with a sign when I exited customs and picked me up on time for my departure. The owner of the company called me on the drivers mobile on our way into to Caracas to make sure everything was ok. I arrived in the city on a Friday evening around 4:30ish and it easily took with the traffic a good 45 minutes or so to get to the JW Marriot. I left a week later on a Sunday at 10:00am and the traffic was much lighter and it took maybe 30 minutes. From the JW Marriot a cab is easily going to cost you aorund $125-150 bolivares if you negotiate on your own and way more if you let the hotel pick a a cab for you. While I probably could have saved a few bucks getting my own transport it for me wasn't worth all the drama so paying the money was well spent and the driver showed me around and showed me different things I may not have gotten the chance to see. So I would bet on a trip taking at least 30 minutes bare min to and from the airport. Its not really that far but the traffic in and around the city can be a beast. In fact walking the streets Is definitely not for the faint hearted. People, bikes, scooters,cars, buses and everything else...you name it is crossing the street in any direction so make sure to look every way, for real.

The JW Marriot was great! I really enjoyed my stay there. The rooms are wonderful and like many have mentioned the gym is awesome, pool too. I really had a great stay. Modern, clean with great staff and service, and I had no problems with anything. Everybody was very friendly and can communicate in either Spanish or English. The only thing I had issue with was the cost of the breakfast buffet price ($35+) but I really can't complain cos I didn't ask beforehand how much it cost but its not a deal breaker. The hotel is in an area called El Rosal which is I believe in the business district of town. Its close to as many have mentioned a shopping area called Chacaito. There youl will see all kinds and types of shops, people walking up and down this strip which has an endless supply of stores. There are also a number of different restaurants around the perimeter of the hotel with different types of cuisines and for those of us food challenged folks there is a McDonalds and Subway 2 minutes from the hotel.

Money & Credit Cards
One lesson I learned is that its way easier to get money when you arrive at the airport. At the time of trip May 2012 the exchange rate was 1 US$ = 4.3 Bolivares. Sorry I don't know the rates for other currencies. So the lesson I learnt was that I thought I could get money exchanged at the hotel (which you can for a fee, maybe 10% + tax) and I didn't see any international exchange houses that I had read about. Fortunately the hotel staff pointed out to me to go to an area called CC Sambril (15 minutes walk) and I exchanged money at the Banco Caribe which from what I'm told is not legal in Venezuela I guess cos of fraud but the rate was the same and the bank which is located in a mall is open late on weekdays and weekends (til 6pm) I had no problem using a credit card at the hotel and I made my reservation on-line through the marriot.com but be careful when using credit cards. Apparently there is a two digit pin that Venezuelans have associated with their credit cards for security reasons. So when you use a card, it gets swiped and then you will be asked for your pin# (its two or 4 digits) anyway I couldn't use my credit card because I don't have this set-up so be aware. Caracas is not cheap but its not Tokyo so make sure to have cash on hand to get around. I also tried using the ATMS which you can do in English but it will ask for a 2 digit pin# which I didn't have set-up so remember to get some cash at the airport or before you leave

Safety
The best for last. I'm sure we all have different views but my experience in Venezuela was nothing short of fantastic. I experienced absolutely no problems with safety. Like I mentioned earlier, I was skeptical cos you can only read the words murder capital of the world and wonder what your getting yourself into. But to my surprise it was totally different. Caracas is not unlike any other major metropolitan area, that's no to say that there are areas that are unsafe because there are but in my opinion its no different than any other major city. I took the normal precautions i take with every trip and found that as I suspected "people are people". I experienced no problems doing anything or going anywhere. I went by myself and walked around all throughout the city and other places on my own and at night. Didn't go anywhere I knew I didn't belong and didn't do anything stupid. Unless your walking down the street naked people will pay you no mind.

I will definitely go back to Venezuela, Los Roques and Meridia here we come

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to JW Marriott Hotel Caracas? Share your experiences!