“Not that bad...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Posada Altamira Caceres

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Caracas
Posada Altamira Caceres
You added Posada Altamira Caceres to your Saves list
Plaza Bolivar, Caracas, Venezuela   |
Ranked #51 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Oslo
“Not that bad...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I stayed two nights in the hotel and for the price it wasnt that bad.
I paid 280 fuertes per night, and as far as my research go there are not that many options for a reasonable hotel in this price class in a safe and central area of Caracas.

The service is not very good, they dont smile, they dont say hi, but these days my expectations for Venezuela service levels are rock bottom. Venezuelans in hotels and restaurants are in general not that friendly. Its different if you meet educated venezuelans when you are going out to the clubs. Thats a different story.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

Stayed in the Altamira Hotel on both the outward and return journeys through Caracas because we had pre-booked. Arrived late on New Year's day to the utter indifference of the male night receptionist whom I suspect would need to be surgically removed from his mobile phone before he would even consider making eye contact or raising his level of assistance above morose monosyllabism. The room was basic but clean and the shower efficient. However, at $85 per night I had expected a little better. Next day we asked if they had a map of the city but were told no by the female day receptionist who at least put her phone down and managed a sentence or two. Nevertheless, the verbal directions she gave turned out to be wrong.
On the return journey we again arrived in the evening to enjoy exactly the same level of service from the male. This time the room was smaller, dirtier and had a connecting door to the adjoining room where the occupant had his TV on full blast. Immediately asked to have another room and the receptionist exchanged keys without speaking. This room was also below the standard of our outward journey room but at least it was quiet. There was no hot water to be had either that evening or the following morning.
We asked the female day receptionist how much a taxi to the airport would cost and she gave us a figure that turned out to be wrong yet again as the driver asked for 15% more.
Some reviews of this hotel say you get what you pay for but sadly I cannot agree. As an experienced traveller I've stayed in far better for much less.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

We arrived one late sunday evening after a longer journey from Caracas airport. The reception staff were pretty nonchalant about us and offered us a room at $130 a night, much higher than we were expecting. As we had no choice we stayed, it felt pretty grubby and very dated in it´s decor. The noise from a neighbours TV kept us awake all night. We left early the next day and plan never to return.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

This is a budget hotel. So that's what you get. My experience...

Friendly staff.
Price was what I had been quoted.
Room ws clean with good AC and TV (no remote)
I arrived one day late and was not charged for being late, which was a nice surprise.
The area is in the Chacao district of Caracas, which is relatively safe. A short walk east along Francisco de Miranda will lead to good places to eat, shopping centers.
A beautiful park and cultural center called La Estancia is right next door. A nice place to chill out. I took a free yoga class with about 300 people at night under the palms and the moon. Pretty cool.

Negatives of the hotel.
1. There is a No visitors policy. So if you meet a new friend... don't expect to take them back to your room. Definite negative for us solo travelers.
2. Lots of noise from the street. Constant car horns. But I also experienced this in the much more expensive Mariott. Caracas residents seem to truly believe that constantly honking their horns will improve their plight.
Area nice with food not far

• Disliked — No visitors policy
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

I booked through hostelworld.com. The rate on the website was $40 per person per night. My fiancee checked in earlier though and got a rate of $155 BF per night for the two of us. So exchanging dollars at 4:1 it worked out to a little less than US$40 per night for the both of us. She did pay that one night in advance but we did not pay again until we we into our third of four nights there.

In contrast to other reviewers, there are double beds, at least we had one in room 705 which had a nice view from the balcony/terrace. The furnishings of the room were sparse, a chair would have been nice. The room and bath were both very clean and the maids did a good job daily. The shower was very small but did have plenty of very ho water. The windows in the bath were the slat type and a few were broken and I was worried about mosquitoes so we tried to keep the door shut but I suppose it was not a problem being on the seventh floor.

They never did have any room in the safe in the office during the four days we were there so we did leave cell phones in our room by necessity a couple days with no problems.

The two guys who worked the the front desk were not overly friendly but were efficient and could be reached by telephone.

The hotel is a 10 minute walk from the Sambil shopping center and maybe 5 from the Aeroxpressos Ejecutivos bus station. It is also two blocks from the Canadian Embassy and the Metro Station. To the American Embassy it is about a 15 minute cab ride.

We felt completely safe walking home from Sambil after dark.

Stayed March 2008
europe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2008

Booked this hotel for 5 nights through Hostelworld. Paid 55 USD per night, including taxes. Corresponded with the hotel via email before my arrival, and they responded quickly to every email. I was very anxious, cause I had read mixed reviews about this hotel. Caracas is very expensive, and the top ends costs about 250-300 USD ++ per night. I was very pleased to find this hotel in Altamira for only 55 USD per night.

The hotel was easy to find, and I paid the whole stay upon arrival. This was not an issue to me, as the guys at the front desk seemed trustable. One of the younger guys helped me with my luggage, and he didn't even expect a tip!

Our room were situated on the 2nd floor, it was very basic and tired, but it was clean and comfortable enough for 5 nights. It had a small wallmounted tv, with many channels of good picture quality. There was a small closet too. The bathroom was very small and basic, but it served it's purpose. Like the previous reviewers mentioned - the shower needs a little time to get warm. I would not have my honeymoon at this hotel, but it was much better than I expected. The most important things are warm water, cleaniness and a okey bed to sleep in. All of those things were working fine. The maids were very friendly and the front desk guys were okey. They weren't too insterested. But come on, can't expect Four Seasons service for 55 USD per night. If you want top notch service (per CCS standards) I would recommend Gran Melia or the JW Marriott. The hotel felt perfectly safe too, with a mixed crowd of Europeans and Venezuelans.

The location of the Hotel Altamira was also great, right there in the middle of Altamira, which is one of Caracas' safer neighbourhoods. One block from the Canadian Embassy and one block from Altamira Metro Station and 10 minute walking distance from Sambil Mall (which is Caracas' largest mall, and boasts some 500 different stores and restaurants). There was no on-site restaurant or roomservice. But there are several restaurants and bars and clubs nearby - serving both straight and gay audience.

I am rating this hotel as above average because it was a lot better than I feared, and I will certainly return to this hotel when returning to Caracas.

However, there is not a lot to do in Caracas - I have visited on several occasions, and I must say that Chavez isn't doing anything to improve the conditions there. Caracas is very dangerous, and you should take care wherever you go. Two guys on a MC tried to rob us near Plaza Bolivar. One of the guys grabbed my bag, but I refused and knocked him down and we escaped in a taxi. It was stupid of me, but it went all automatically. I have never encountered a single police officer in any of Caracas' tourist spots. I find it quite strange that Chavez isn't doing anything to increase the security in this dangerous city. All of my friends in Caracas tells me the same - the city is becoming more and more dangerous. Everyone must take care wherever and whenever they go. No place is safe! I have travelled to over 80 countries, and the only place I have felt unsafe is in Caracas. Even in Bogota in comparison I felt perfectly safe. There was a presence of police everywhere and security forces were plentiful, but in Caracas there is no security at all. The safest thing you could do in Caracas is to be with Venezuelan friends. They know the city, and know how to avoid dangers.

Another tip - people may say that it is dangerous to change money on the street. But I have done this many times. The official exchange spots gives you 2 bolivares per dollar. I was able to get 5 bolivares per dollar on the airport and on the street. Even Altamira Hotel would give you at least 4 bolivares per dollar, which is twice as much as the official cambios.

Third tip - take the short 5 minute walk to the domestic airport upon arrival. There you will find cheaper taxis. I paid 25 USD to get from the airport to the hotel. That's at least half the price!

Stayed February 2008
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2008

We stayed at Hotel Altamira for two days whilst on different stopovers in Caracas. The hotel is in a good location in one of the nicest districts and at 60 dollars a night for two wasn't too bad. The rooms are basic and the showers a bit temperamental but if you can get one with a balcony on the front there is some great people watching to be had!
On returning to the hotel however only 4 nights later the room rate had increased to 75 dollars which is much too high. The price for the taxi to the airport (organised by the hotel) had also increased.
The staff aren't particularly friendly and insist that you pay on arrival which doesn't add to the experience but all in all if you need a place for a quick stopover the hotel is ideally situated - really close to the Metro and perfectly adequate.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Posada Altamira Caceres? Share your experiences!