“Smelly but nice location.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Venetur Margarita
Calle Los Uveros Urb. Costa Azul, Porlamar, Margarita Island 58, Venezuela   |
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Porlamar
albuquerque
“Smelly but nice location.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The rooms were nice but full of mold or mildew. Elevators took forever, breakfast not very good. The pools were great and clean. Close to the beach, but it was very small and not fun to swim in. I think one of the employees stole money out of our safe, very upsetting.

Room Tip: Beach side is mostly quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed in a suite at this property for a week in late February/early March:

The lobby of the hotel is fantastic - very clean and expansive with lots of marble and nice decor. However, the rest of the facility is in various stages of disrepair. The carpet in the hallways is worn and even has holes in numerous places, the walls have crumbling plaster in lots of places, and there is generally a musty odor pervading the whole place. The elevators in the building we were in were hit and miss - three elevators but only one working (and that broke down on our last day - I had to carry all the luggage down from the 5th floor myself).

The suite was nice but well worn - cigarette burns in the sofa, patio door in the living room didn't lock, water constantly running in the toilet... The bed was comfortable and clean but the rest of the place was fairly dirty. The floors could have used a good cleaning - clean feet were soon black if you walked without shoes. We didn't spend much time in the room other than to sleep at night. The walls are very thin and we could hear conversations from our neighbors just like we were in the same room. The place was fairly empty though and we would usually return late enough that everything was quiet.

The view from the patio was fantastic - I really enjoyed the photos I took of the sunrise and the full moon on the water. The patio itself was large and had a nice table and comfortable chairs, but the rail was missing a few of the glass panels. The view of the pool and beach were very nice but we never found the time to really check them out. We walked by the gym a few times but again, I can't comment other than to say it looked nice through the window. I did get up and go for a run one morning - they close a road along the beach just south of the hotel every morning for pedestrians and it is very scenic and about 2 and a half kms each way. I was surprised at the number of people that come out to exercise and watch the sun come up. A very pleasant place for a walk or a run.

We ate breakfast at the buffet near the lobby a few times and the service and food were good and the price was very reasonable. The coffee was absolutely horrid though. There is a mall a very short walk away, and we ate at a little restaurant there a few times - the coffee was delicious but I don't remember the name of the place. It faces the hotel and the entrance is outside.

Overall, the accommodations aren't too bad but a 5 star it isn't. This must have been a very beautiful place at one time but nationalization hasn't done much for it. They should have let the Hilton's carry on with it - they'd have a hotel to be proud of. As it is, if you aren't really particular, it is a good place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Porto, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I was last month in a business trip to Margarita Island and stayed at the Venetur Hotel which was in the past the Hilton Margarita , but now under state control.

There are dozens of employees around but sometimes you start thinking that you are the invisible man as it looks like nobody notices you.

Due to the outside insecurity in Venezuela I decided to have dinner three nights in the Hotel but unfortunately the menu was always the same without a single change and very limited but you can survive if you are an experimented traveler.

After check in that was easy I went to my room and tried myself to connect to the hotel wireless internet. Despite getting a signal I couldn’t connect due to a server error. I asked the reception about the problem and I was told to come down to the lobby since there was a problem with the internet supplier. Arriving at the lobby the signal was strong but the same error was occurring. Then I was suggested to move to the bar who it might work which I did. Again the same error !
After sometime the barman come to me and told me not to try because the internet was not working since long ago and there were no plans to bring it alive again.

So I’ve stayed for almost 5 daya without contact with my business and spending a lot of $$$$ in phine calls that I would avoid if the internet was working properly. And they call the hotel a 5 star Hotel….

Just to finish , forget about the beach . Really dirty

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel in a less touristy island. Very pretty beach water . Food was good and did not seem expensive.
We liked to get out and walk around but were told not to do so because of crime.
We chose to rent a car to travel the island.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I had visited this hotel when it was a Hilton, it was considered one of the best, I honestly don't know what the hell happened, it is now called Venetur and it simply sucks. Please stay somewhere else, the room a/c stopped working in the middle of night and they didn't fix it until the very next day at 7pm, it failed again at 2 am. There is only one elevator in working condition, the lobby is nice, everything else is horrid. Please stay away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Milwaukee, WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

Whom ever writes good reviews about this hotel, is either paid or works there. Since the reviews have been so nice, I thought to give it another try, maybe I was wrong the first time!!!
NO, I was not wrong, the place is even worst than I first rated it. The lobby the only decent area, the rest is a dump. Moldy smell, fire alarms going off the entire night, no towels, cant even blow your nose, unless you use toilet paper, service is non existent, called three days for a wake up, never received one, rooms dirty. Just a note for anyone that ventures in this jungle " anytime a Government decides to include themselves in operating any industry from the private sector, this what happens". We had heard before not to leave anything that's of value in the room, and we did not, but someone came to the room and used the shower everyday and went through our belongings because nothing was ever like we left them and the shower was still running for the second time as we entered the room. Go ahead and take your chances...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed at the Venetur Margarita in July, we had a presidential suite, I think, which is spectacular, is practically a two bedroom apmt. with Jacuzzi in the balcony and ocean view. There were minor things that failed during our stay but people were incredibly friendly and always helping and trying to make our stay pleasant. My children love the pools with slides, the beach is nice, wonderful temperature. I think it is an incredible place to stay. We had a great time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Venetur Margarita? Share your experiences!