“Quiet and Rejeuvenating” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Isla Navidad Resort

You added Grand Isla Navidad Resort to your Saves list
Grand Isla Navidad Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Circuito de los Marinos S/N | Fracc. Isla Navidad, Isla Navidad 28838, Mexico (Formerly Wyndham Grand Isla Navidad)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Isla Navidad
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pender Island, Canada
“Quiet and Rejeuvenating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Finally a quiet, all inclusive resort! We loved it. There is lots to do and they don’t bombard you with loud speakers to get you to join. Each day a pamphlet is delivered to the room with a list of activities.
The Yoga instruction was superb. The workout room was lovely: bright, clean and everything was in good working order. It was never busy.
The food was gourmet and generous. Breakfast was buffet. We ordered the other meals from the menu. Lots of choice. Seafood cooked to perfection. In the evening there is a pasta buffet where a chef prepares whatever you choose. There are two a la carte restaurants, one Thai, the other Italian. Both are superb for both food ans service. The Italian restaurant has a dress code so men need to wear long pants and shoes.
Lots of incredible walks. One was close by to a point from which we could see the sunsets. Another through a small seaside village and then through a beautiful golf course. The clubhouse of the golf course has a four floor turret that we climbed up to have a birds’ eye view of the ocean, the golf course and the birds. Walking through the golf course we saw lots of wild life including alligators. For about 2 dollars Canadian (20pesos) you can take a ferry to visit two towns close by where other quests shopped. We don’t shop so this was not of very much interest to us.
Our room was lovely. Our mornings were nothing short of amazing. We sat wrapped in the hotel robes on the balcony sipping coffee and watching the sunrise. The whole resort was spotless. There was never the hype of getting a good place to lounge. Plenty of empty chairs on the beach or by the pools. Everything was relaxed.
The service was first rate. We practiced our limited Spanish and the staff was patient and good natured.
There were two options each night for entertainment. One was a guitar player with a fiddler side kick and the other was a piano player with a guitar and drum player. Both were excellent. The only improvement would be the lobby lounge. They should get rid of the televisions and the cigar makers. The televisions really took away from the lovely music and the only ones watching the soccer games were the bar tenders who treated guests as an irritating interruption to the soccer match. The cigar makers have bright lights that they shine away from their eyes and into the eyes of the guests. So although the live music was good we didn’t spend much time there.
Other than this last point, I have no hesitation in recommending this resort.
Definitely 5 and ½ star.

Room Tip: Remember the dress code (shoes and long pants for men) in effect for Antonio's Restaurant.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Ajax
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

we stayed from March 19 to 27th all incl. The service was fantastic, they couldn't do enough for us. The hotel is beautiful and so is the property. We faced the marina with beautiful yachts! One of the bartenders at the lobby bar didn't know how to make a specialty drink of the pool bar so he tracked down someone who knew how to make it and presented it to my husband! Everyone gave service like that. It was at the end of their peek season so it was nice and quiet. Perfect weather! We didn't see a cloud in the sky until the last day and even then it was only partly cloudy. Flew with Canjet through Tripcentral. If you're lokking for paradise with perfect service this is your place!! We are planning to go again next yeat! See you there!

Room Tip: Rooms on the East side get morning sun and then in the afternoon when its hot, you'll have shade...
Markham, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Bay from March 19 thru March 27. From the moment we arrived we were charmed by the hotel , the staff and the beauty of the location.

Each morning, because our spacious and graciously appointed room overlooked the marina, we could open our curtains, get back into bed, prop up our pillows and await the rising of the sun or sit out and view it on our balcony. The bathrooms are all marble and there was always an abundance of hot water and lots of water pressure in the shower!

My husband enjoys a good cigar and each evening at the Faro Bar in the hotel, Hector who owns the local Cigar Factory store in the little town of Barra was available to make hand rolled cigars following the tradition passed down by his father and grandfather. I am not a smoker but my husband said it was a good smoke. Alphonso at the bar mixes up a good marguerita. This is a piano bar and each night there was either a pianist or a duo [Trish and Gordon] who provided a "smooth" atmosphere to go with the Kahlua.

The Pool Restaurant has wonderful food for Lunch and we quickly picked our favourite which we grew to look forward to. They bring a platter of fresh made tortilla chips, fresh salsa and guacamole when you sit down to get you started, Our favourites were the AZTEC soup, Oasis Quesadillas and the Shrimp Ceviche. IF you want you can order from a short menu pool side for items like burgers and pizza and get delivery to your lounge chair. I wish I remembered everyone's name so I could have acknowledged them here. They were all great and contributed to our enjoyment of the hotel.

At the Terrace, try the Coconut Creme Brulee for desert and the Lemon Grass soup to start. Take a shawl or wear something long sleeved as it gets pretty cool and breezy out there. Enjoy being serenaded by Emerson while dining. He is terrific. He has a friend who comes along some nights who plays the violin. It's like an added bonus.

We found all the food really good, especially the beef...and the shrimp of course! The wait staff at Antonios was outstanding especially Edgar who prepared a sensational dinner for us our last night there and the same can be said for staff at the Terrace and the Grande Cafe who provided attentive but never intrusive service. Breakfast was buffet but most other meals were off the menu a la carte so lots to choose from but we stuck to our favs after the first few days.

For a great off-hotel experience take the water taxi over to Lidia's to the right of the hotel [not in Barra] and have the stuffed clams with some beer. I hate clams but I loved these! or you can get a whole grilled lobster for about $22.00. Good food can also be found across the bay in Barra at a restaurant called Bananas that serves a good breakfast.

Cash is the only payment option at most places [pesos is best] Very few places take debit or credit cards . There is an ATM at the hotel and a few in Barra but no bank.

I had the pleasure of taking a tour of the kitchen - it was spotless and well maintained and huge with a place for everything. Meat and poultry for example was stored and cut in a segregated room with its own freezer and fridges. Chef was extremely accommodating and very proud of his kitchen. I was there just after lunch cleanup and fresh bread and rolls were baking and the prep for the evening meal was underway. Everything was fresh from the salsa to the thin sliced fruits to top specialty deserts. He had arranged for a translator which was very considerate.

Barra across the Bay is lots of Fun to visit and a safe community.

When you get to the hotel, you get a little booklet with a map of the hotel - take time to walk around all the halls and look into all the nooks and crannies. There are a couple of quiet pools to discover, one on floor 1 and another on the 10th across the bridge and evey now then a secluded lounge area appears. It really is more beautiful than the pictures.

The hotel is still transitioning to an all inclusive property. The All inclusive option is limited to clients of Transat Holiday and so there are still guests who park their sailboats and yachts in the marina and guests from other countries who pay as they go. We Transat clients do have the best deal and sometimes it must be a little confusing for the staff to keep us all straight.

Cautionary notes: Everyone has a different idea of the perfect vacation destination. This was perfect for my husband and I and many of the guests we met, but it may not be perfect for you..If you a looking for a beach like Varadero or Punta Cana or Negril, you will not find it here. If you have teenaged kids, they may be pretty bored - pretty quickly. If you are single, you will not likely meet the man or woman of your dreams here - it's mostly couples - older couples. The kid's club is not really well established yet, there is no evening mini disco or club song. There is an activities manager during the day but no one is really looking for any kind of routine or activity unless it is participating in morning yoga, going to the spa for a facial, reflexology or an exfoliation [all are good by the way] or to play golf on the course that adjoins the property. If you are looking for lots to drink 24/7, you may be disappointed that the bar does not open till 11 am each day. Looking for nighttime entertainment? There is no evening show with dancing girls or a Michael Jackson tribute or blindfolded fellow tourists passing balloons between each other's legs for the amusment of the other guests. There is no action after midnight once the bar closes and no one around by then anyways. You can't get a coffee on the terrace until the Grand Cafe opens at 6:30-7am.

This hotel is definitely not for everyone but if are looking for a relaxed time, excellent service yummy things to eat and freedom from care and worry, this is the place for you. It certainly was the place for us!

Room Tip: It's worth it to get a marina or lagoon view room for the sunrise. Ask for the 6th floor or high...
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

The property is beautiful, the service is great. The food at the different restaurants was delicious. The Water Taxi is a great & inexpensive way of moving to and from the island. Beautiful sunrises, sunsets, pools, and gardens. Will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

stayed mar 6-13th all incl with the spa package, flew with Transat, club class.. first rate service!!!! Very pleased

The hotel is beautiful and immediately we felt that this was a place for people with $$$$ from the beautiful golf course to the marble tile floors and all the little things included. The majority of the staff we dealt with all spoke decent english and were always greeted with a smile. check in/out went very fast...front desk staff were all great.

The hotel is laid out over 10 floors. It takes 3 different elevators to get from 1 to the 10th, a little confusing when you first get there but by the time you leave you should know your way around. Take a walk down to the marina..beautiful.

Our room was on the 1st floor overlooking the hot tub...spacious, clean, large bathroom, beds were firm, mini fridge. Bathrobes were provided...one size fits all...lol...no, I was unable to use. over all no complaints on the room. Its a nice touch having turn down service.

The food is typical buffet fare...I stuck with freshly cooked eggs/waffles/ toast/bacon and some kind of potato for breakfast...no problems. I found that there were not as many selections on the buffet as other resorts I've stayed in but never found myself leaving hungry. For lunch... was usually poolside, a little salad off the buffet or a burger/sandwich off the menu....all was delicious. The service takes a little while but consider that you are poolside and the staff have a large area to cover. No complaints on lunch. Supper was buffet most nights...again typical buffet fare..hit/miss for selection/ temperature...never left hungry. Service was good except for our last night..the waiter dropped the ball big time!! I could write a long letter about a the little things that went wrong but I won't...staff were informed of the situation and hopefully will be dealt with. I won't let one bad waiter ruin my whole stay. Never left supper hungry. We ate at Antonio's one eve with 3 other couples( we went for the company not the food) dress code in effect...I did not appreciate the attitude of the lady as she reminded me of the dress code( went with dress shorts to the knee) and they preferred me in jeans...go figure. Antonio's is a fancy place where it is all about the presentation and the big show of fine dining. Yes, food looked great, people waiting on you're every need...portions typically small for this type of dining.The food and service were good....left hungry.

The majority of our drinking was poolside at the swim up bar. Service was good( Sergio/Yolanda)...drinks were good....no complaints. There is a piano bar off the lobby, big and beautiful...always empty, I only ordered 1 drink here all week so I don't have any comments for this bar. It is indoors with a balcony with a nice view from the 6th floor.

The pools were nice and never had to fight for a chair or sun/shade. There are 3 pools on the bottom floor, one pool secluded on the first floor, and another quiet pool on the 10th floor. We enjoyed all the pools.

The town of Barra can be accessed by water taxi, 20 peso round trip( say hi to Juan/security at the water taxi dock, great guy with lots of information about many things) . Nice little town with all the typical stuff available for tourists. the town is still recovering from the storm but still a fantastic view from all beach side places.

We went on a variety of boat tours...fishing/snorkeling. We didn't have much luck fishing but the abundance of dolphins and whales made each trip wonderful. When looking for a tour...check all your options and compare price and whats included. No complaints about our tours.

The spa service was wonderful( 3- 50 min sessions with the package). the staff were all polite and did their jobs well. I had 1 holistic massage, a back relax and a hand/feet reflexology...I'm a new man. Everyone I spoke to spoke well of their spa experience.

In my opinion this is a great place to sit poolside and relax/ go golfing and enjoy the spa. I found that the quality of service was not much different from 3stars I've stayed in. When I booked I knew it was not beachfront....kinda missed the sounds of the waves hitting the beach in the morning/evening when all is quiet. Yes the rooms are fancier but I'm a simple man...just give me a place to sleep and I'm good. Overall the food was no better or worse than other hotels I've stayed at. Yeah if you look close..some places could use some paint or a little attention...no different than any other place. There were sightings of a few roaches....but you are in a tropical climate....no surprise even in a 5 star.

Would I stay here again...if the price was right and to travel as part of a group...I think so. It was a great holiday.

I would be happy to answer any other question one may have.....cheers!

Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

Stayed March 5-12, 2012

We went with Transat Holidays. The ride to the hotel is about 30-40 minutes. On arrival to the hotel complimentary drink and cold towel. Check in was very quick, room wasn't ready yet but we were early, just went down to the pool and had something to eat . This hotel in my opinion is a 5 star hotel. Have been to mexico many times and this place is absolutely beautiful. It is a large hotel lots of walking. This hotel is not for someone looking for entertainment and loud music. It is fairly quite. They do play music at the pool but by no means is it blairing your ears off. There is plenty of lounge chairs...many times there were lots left over. The Marina view is stunning especially with the sunrises.....amazing! The food was very good, not a huge buffet but could easily find something you liked. The hamburgers by the pool are amazing.....very tasty, you need to order them. Heard the speciality restaurants were very good also, but didn't do them. Took the very short boat ride to barra, still lots of damage from the hurricane in October. Beautiful beach, senery. This hotel is not for party people. If your looking for a relaxing vacation this place is for you. Wasn't to many kids until we left just before March Break.
Would I recommend this hotel?....Yes.
Would I go back to this hotel?.....Yes
Did I feel threatened at any time? No...felt very safe security was visable

Room Tip: At least 3rd floor and up.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

This was our first family holiday and my first all-inclusive. We found it to be a perfect paradise for all family members. We travelled with Air Transat, on their recent all-inclusive package, at the end of February/March 2012. The weather was amazing and a welcome break from the Montreal winter!

I had read reviews on this site before leaving. I was a little worried whether the hotel (being 5 stars) would be suitable for a family and;
A) welcome young children
B) cater for the needs of young children
C) have enough activities to occupy a family?
The answer to all 3 questions is YES, YES and YES

There was a kids club which was very clean, well equipped and with super friendly staff. Although my son was slightly too young to join, going by the listed age of kids accepted (starting at 4 years old), we were told he would be welcome to play. Because of beautiful weather, we didn't even play there once. Although every morning he liked to pop his head in to say hello to the staff there!

The hotel is worthy of 5 stars and more for the service there.
The hotel room was large with two double beds. The bathroom was a perfect family size with shower and bath. The balcony a safe place to play in the mornings and watch the sunrise. We actually had a beautiful view of the bay/beach and were very closely located to the kids’ pool and kids club. Our very friendly maid, Carmen, would always make my sons travel bed (which is more than I ever do!!), including folder his pj's! The mini-fridge was stocked twice daily and the cleanliness was exceptional, especially when most days we would find half the beach back in our room!

The free daily activities are posted in the lobby and range from morning/evening yoga, water aerobics, beach volleyball and card games. There is a tennis court and for a minimal charge you can rent rackets. We found plenty of activities for all family members. The activities staff are very helpful and friendly. We didn't experience the golf or spa facilities, because we just ran out of time enjoying the sun!

The overall service from all staff members was excellent. The level of English ability is outstanding and made me a little embarrassed to try to practice my awful Spanish! We had no problems communicating with any staff member.

The hotel and grounds are well kept. The landscaping of gardens was beautiful and well maintained so not to grow onto the pathways. We had a stroller and although there are quite a lot of steps, we found just as many ramp options to move up and down the different levels. A perfect workout, after a delicious lunch!

The beach sits in a small lagoon, which reassured me for my son to swim in. The water in both the lagoon and pools was slightly refreshing at first (5min), but then warms up with the heat of the sun. The sand is very soft and easy to walk on. There are plenty of seating options both around the pools and on the beach. I wasn't so keen of the towel system of keeping chairs...but that said we never had a problem to find a place to sit. There is also drinks service offered on the beach and kids pool.

The food was delicious. We found it catered for all our family tastes and was not too spicy for my son. In fact he refused to eat the baby food, I had as a backup! All restaurants have high chairs for young children. We had 4 complimentary a la carte options, but only used 2. Basically book them as soon as you arrive. They really do fill up. With a young child, you are also limited to only one restaurant option, La Terressa (Thai fusion). The Mediterranean restaurant only accepts children over 12 years old. We loved our visit to the Thai restaurant. The only down side, is that being an outdoor restaurant, with evening dinning, there were a lot of insects trying to eat us! The waiters kindly provided blankets and bug spray. My advice is to book early evening dinning, if you have young children. That way you can benefit from the sunset and less bugs.

The travel from the airport to hotel takes about 45 minutes by bus. The tour operator is a local company and they provide information about the area on route. Tips for drivers along with all hotel staff, go a long way.

It is very easy to explore the local area, by a short boat ride (or taxi if you prefer), to the local town of Barra. It sits just across the bay from the hotel. We took plenty of walks through the gardens and around the small marina. You can also book day excursions through the Air Transat rep. We just found plenty to do around the hotel and grounds. Plus the idea of a bus ride in the heat with a young child, took away some of the excitment about the end destination!

I really can't sing the praises of this hotel, staff and beautiful location enough. If you are a family, with young children, book and enjoy a little part of paradise.

Room Tip: Book a la carte options upon arrival. Mexican Pesos work best for tips.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Grand Isla Navidad Resort? Share your experiences!