“Away from it all...and lovin it.” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Beqa Island, Fiji   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Beqa Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
North Hills, CA
“Away from it all...and lovin it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

No cell phones, no internet, no e-mail, and no TV - the perfect vacation. Resort staff treated us like family from the moment we arrived. The bures were very spacious/clean and located 10 steps from the crystal clear water. Plenty of activities to keep us entertained - kayaking, snorkeling, day trips to the main island or local village, boat ride to the sand bar (highly recommended), night time swim in the warm water, and of course the best part - doing absolutely nothing but relaxing on the beach. I will definitely be coming back!

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I had an amazing time. The Kulu Bay Resort Crew were amazing! They mad us feel like family once we arrived. Alex and Kelly were great and helped me enjoy my stay even more. I want to go back again soon! I recommend planning your stay here if you want to experience real Fiji.

• Stayed March 2013
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I really didn't know what to expect, but lets just say I left wanting to come back again. I live in LA were stress is high and beaches are crowded. Here on the resort it is like having your own private beach to yourself. Snorkeling, swimming, kayaking, and hiking are just some activities they offer. I took full advantage of them all and what a relaxing experience. The staff were super friendly and knew all of us by name. They all spoke and understood English very well, so communication was never a problem. The lodging was clean, roomy, and comfortable. I have have recommended this resort to many friends looking for a stress free getaway. I will definitely return in the future. A two thumbs up for me!

Room Tip: They even have lofts for kids! All rooms are fully furnished and clean.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

If you want a trip of a lifetime, please come to Kulu Bay Resort! I just had my family and closest friends (about 20 people) all come with us to celebrate our big day. I had the pleasure of booking and setting up our trip to Fiji with Kelli. She was beyond patient, informative, and very professional. I was really worried having to arrange everything for 20+ people but Kelli made everything go so smoothly. She was very easy to contact and always responded promptly. As soon as we arrived in Fiji there was someone waiting for us with a sign to go to Kulu Bay Resort. We all hopped on a bus, they even surprised us with a small stop at a local spot for souvenirs, they arranged all the transportation. As soon as we arrived in Beqa Island, we had the warmest welcome with leis! There are so many things to do here from relaxing on the beach, trip to the village, fishing, snorkeling and a must go -- the sandbar!! The best day of course was our unforgettable wedding day. We had the most beautiful wedding! It was more than we could ever imagine. The wedding arch was made with beautiful island flowers, we had a Tiki bar and an island feast! It could not have come together as perfectly if it wasn't for Kelli's help and all the wonderful staff. The rooms were always clean, lights were left on during the night so you wouldn't go back to your room in the dark, we even had umbrellas provided because it rained a few days during our stay. The staff is so friendly, they speak english and even teach you words in their language. The staff really made me feel welcomed. The food is always different and they are so accommodating with food preferences. The only complaint I have is that I didn't eat enough coconuts! I highly recommend coming!! I know I will be planning to return soon!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Simi Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Wow, what an exotic and beautiful place! When our wedding party arrived at Kulu Bay resort, we were greeted by a friendly staff presented beautiful island leis and sincere welcomes. For our entire stay, each of us became a "special" island guest called by our first names (a group of 23), served delicious meals, beds turned down each evening, and if it rained--umbrellas were hanging at our door. None of us will ever forget the wedding ceremony on the beach, with its tropical flowers, palms and island plants alter, and elegantly and freshly constructed by local islanders. By the end of the week, (your choice--relaxed or full of activities) we felt like the staff were family and Kula Bay our dream destination. It was so hard to say, "good-bye." We departed with leis and beautiful island good-bye songs. Thanks for all the kind things you did in accommodating our large group (we can only imagine how a couple or smaller party would be spoiled!). We really appreciated all of Kula Bay Resort's big and small extra efforts to make this a wedding to remember forever.

Room Tip: Every "bure" (large spacious room) has a great view! Only one suggestion, if you visit the...
Bloomington, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

When we arrived after a very long long travel on Saturday the 26th it was a lovely day but as we got closer to Pacific Harbor it began to rain. Appy (not sure of the spelling) and Taka were waiting for us on the Kula 1. We had a great trip through the channel, which we found out was where the 2nd Anaconda movie was filmed. I've seen that movie many times and it was fun to learn we were actually going through the channel where the movie was filmed. Once we got out into the deep blue pacific it began to rain harder but we really didn't care because we were so tired. When we arrived at the resort, it was so lovely to hear the guitars playing and everyone singing, umbrellas in hand and umbrellas for us too :)

Sharon was absolutely lovely and showed us the "lay of the land" immediately and told us that we would be the only ones on the island until Tuesday, which we thought was fantastic!!!! Our own private island for 3 whole days. She brought us to our gorgeous bure #2 and we settled in immediately. We had lunch shortly after (papaya salad and fish tacos), which were delicious and since it was still raining we just relaxed on our deck and read our books. We decided to take a nap and didn't wake up until 8:30 p.m., when we heard Kara's sweet voice calling to us through our window for dinner! Too funny. We headed to the main bure for dinner and then immediately returned to bed.

Sunday morning we woke up bright and early and were completely refreshed and had a gorgeous sunny day ahead of us for snorkeling, tanning, exploring, kayaking, shell seeking, hermit crab races, etc, which was pretty much our agenda the entire week, perfect! We fished one day with Benjamin and I have to say it was the first time I ever fished with a line and a spark plug but it just made it even more fun. At that point, I realized we are completely removed from civilization and we LOVED IT! Steve golfed one day and also went Shark Diving. We went to the village, visited the school and really enjoyed meeting and playing with the children. It was fun to see the wonderful staff in their village environment and meet their families and also learn the language thanks to Maria! I have been speaking Fijian non-stop since I've been home.

We had such fun at the Lovo Feast and the entire experience was the best. We so enjoyed watching how the food was prepared, placed and removed from the ground. The meal was absolutely delicious as were all of the meals. We invited the local band to come twice, shared the traditional Kava, and even decided to have the Fire Walkers come to the resort on our last night and are so glad we did. What a great show that was, which was followed by Meke Dancing, dinner and then more music and Kava. It was the best night EVER.

On our last day, I promised myself I wouldn't cry when I left but I DID. I have never cried when I have left a resort before but I felt like I was hugging my family goodbye. I cried until we got to Pacific Harbor. . Many HUGE thanks and hugs and appreciation to Sharon, Sara, Kara, Losa, Voluma, Appy, Taka, Kasa, Maria, Sam and Benjamin.

We will definitely be back next year, same time but for two weeks! Please let us know if there will be another Groupon or any specials in the future. We will continue to share our incredible experience at Kula Bay with our family and friends and we are counting the days until we arrive again next January!!!!

Vinka Vakalevu!!!!!

Lisa and Steve Thorud - Bloomington, MN

Room Tip: All the Bure are gorgeous but we loved #2 :)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We spent 12 days (23.12.12 to 04.01.13) in Kulu Bay Resort. It was beautiful. Our booking and transfers were perfectly organised and coordinated by Kelli. Drivers were just in time to pick us up from the hotel where we stayed overnight. The day before (upon arrival) we had to search and call hotel to find our hotel pick up and eventually after finding her in the airport cafe we had to wait for her to finish her lunch. But, Kulu Bay drivers were just in time and had very sensible and accurate driving manners.
Then we had a very nice half an hour boat ride with captain Taka. We were also met by Ape – the dive master. We saw dolphins on our way to the resort. Taka stopped the boat for us to enjoy the dolphins.
Then there was a traditional welcome from the staff, cold drink and cold wet towel – what a good idea.
Kulu Bay is a nice little resort for people who are looking for a quiet holiday close to nature BUT in very comfortable conditions (I would even say luxurious) and very friendly staff. There is their village somewhere behind the hill in the next bay. Otherwise it’s just you, other resort residents and Semisi (security) there at night. The beach is sand and corals are very close and good. There are different resort activities, all are listed on the website – don’t miss any of them. Everything is very interesting cultural or natural (or both) experiences. A lot of thanks to everybody who made our stay in the resort comfortable and memorable. To Losa and Valuma (housekeeping). To Semisi (security), Nami (laundry), Jamini (maintenance), Lee (grounds, Lee we really enjoyed hiking trip with you). Thanks to Maria, Sera and Kara (Waitresses). Apart from serving your food nicely they can give you language or mat weaving or some other classes (or just a friendly chat). The only problem is Sharon. She is the resort manager and the cook as well. And whatever she cooks is too tasty and every day it’s something different. It takes a lot of swimming to keep in shape after her food  . Oh, don’t miss Kasa’s massage – very reluxing. My husband had a very good fishing. He says both trolling (game fishing) and line fishing are good. I only know that we had a lot of fresh fish for dinner as a result (deliciously cooked by Sharon, as usual). Bures are more than comfortable with water just meters away from your bedroom window. Sharon religiously was sneaking every night at dinner time to close window curtains and every time I was pulling them back to see the stars and water and hear sound of waves... But some people like loud night entertainment – this is not a place for them.

Room Tip: we stayed in bure #1, friends in #2. They are practically identical and very good.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Kulu Bay Resort? Share your experiences!