“The best choice for luxury on Easter Island” 4 of 5 stars

explora Rapa Nui
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Te Miro Oone | s/n, Easter Island 2770000, Chile   |
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Easter Island
London, United Kingdom
“The best choice for luxury on Easter Island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Fantastic rooms and good service from Explora on Easter Island. The restaurant serves delicious meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The rooms are really nicely decorated with simple yet luxurious furnishing. There is ample storage in the rooms and they are well maintained during your stay.

Service throughout was friendly with some language issues but these were quickly overcome with the help of fellow staff members to help out. Excursions were well thought out although our welcome chat never materialized despite showing up at the time we were told to.

Wifi is a bit limited and temperamental and only available in the lounge area and one of the drivers was a bit of a miserable chap but this seemed isolated and our guides on excursions as well as the rest of the hotel staff were very good.

If we were heading to Easter Island again, which is well worth the five hour flight from mainland Chile, we would definitely stay at Explorer Rapa Nui.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

The setting is amazing. Overlooking the south coast, a vast sweep of land is as vibrant as the ocean view.

They set up two expeditions per day, usually with only a few people and one or two guides. All are customized based on what you would like to do, how much hiking, climbing or exploring you prefer. The guides are all Rapa Nui and the most friendly and welcoming people you could ask for.

Rooms have separate toilet and bath, with a double set of sinks behind a row of wooden poles. High windows keep it well lit but protected from the heat.

Every meal was excellent, the whole stay like a dream.

Room Tip: all rooms are equally well situated, there is no one better than the other
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Clear Lake, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We purchased this stay as part of a 7 day Explora package at a fundraiser for The US Sailing Center Martin Co., Fl. Our experience sat Posada de Mike Rapu was the same as that we experienced at Explora Patagonia. Everything was first rate, from the accommodations to the food to the treks. The guides were knowledgable and passionate about the Rapa Nui culture, people and history. This is truly one of the most amazing places in the world and staying here made it even more memorable. The treks made exploring the island a much more meaningful experience than being bussed from point to point. As an aside, this island has the best tasting pineapple I have ever had. They are small but unbelievably sweet.

Room Tip: Rooms to the north side are closer to everything than those on the south
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Had a wonderful once in a lifetime trip. Spent five nights. Glad I stayed at Explora. The excursions are a great way to see the island. The quality of the guides does very. Thought Maha, Beno and Martin were excellent. Explora was very accommodating and when we asked to be with certain guides there was no problem. Claudia the manager is excellent. Wanted to see the Ballet Karri Karri, traditional island dancers. She arranged for a van to take us and reserved the best seats in the house for us. Would highly recommend this. We were pleased with the food. Felt it was very good considering you are in one of the most isolated places. Explora is great for active people that enjoy hiking and seeing new things. The other guests you meet on the excursions are interesting and fun people to be with. Had a great time!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

we just returned from a 4 night stay at the explora rapa nui. this was a great choice for easter island, as the whole concept is to get out and to see and experience as much of the island as possible.
this is not for the inactive. you literally can go,go, go all day long. great strenuous hikes, fishing, etc.
the hotel itself is lovely, set into the land.
staff is exceptional esp the guides. the waiters though friendly, seemed distracted and potentially overworked. we were at the hotel when it was nearly capacity, so that i am sure is part of it.
i have to agree with the other 4 star reviewer who recently wrote that the food was the issue. after 4 days, it became monotonous and seemingly unvaried. no real discernable difference between lunch and dinner. also with all the amazing inexpensive chilean wines, they had one brand and it was mediocre. the bar however was fantastic. pisco sours!!!!!!!!!
my other issue was a cold hot tub and luke warm showers.
that said and done, i would recommend the explora without hesitation with some minor issues.
btw, the absolute best part of the explora is the fellow guests. we met some amazing, amazing people and that truly was the highlight of our trip.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

This review will likely be a bit different from the rest. To start off, I can award nothing but the highest points in all areas that matter for a seasoned traveler to such a remote destination. Our eight-night stay on Easter Island surpassed all of our expectations, and I would return to Explora Rapa Nui in a heartbeat. All of the prior glowing reviews are valid; deviations are anomalies.

Halfway through my stay, I received a call advising me that my father had died. From that point forward, every single person, every single thing that any staff member did for me went above and beyond what one might expect from virtual strangers.

Because of the intensity of the experience, all that transpired over the next five days on the island will be forever sealed into my memory. I say five days because, even though I had a FULL-FARE BUSINESS CLASS SEAT, LAN Airlines made absolutely no effort to help me get off the island sooner than my scheduled flight back to Santiago. That's an issue I will need to take up with LAN's Board and Management in the near future. They were officious and insensitive; I am furious about that.

In fact, there were two of us traveling together. For five days in a row, we would pack all of our luggage, and then Beno Atan, Explora's head guide, would diigently drive us to the airport early - and wait for us patiently - with the hopes that we might make the standby list and get on the flight. (LAN ground staff told us that the flights are typically oversold by 15 seats, so each journey became an exercise in futility.) Each day, we would return to the hotel disappointed, unpack, and settle in for another 24 hours - - - only to do the same thing the next day. It got tired really fast, let me tell you! It was heartbreaking to try explaining to my grieving mother that we did not make the day's only flight.

Nevertheless, the guide staff and interim manager, Laura Rosenberg, would take me out on private excursions and made a special effort to keep me occupied in appropriate ways. I didn't want to hang around the hotel much because I felt like a pariah every time I entered a public room and didn't want to be a "downer" for anyone else's vacation. Word travels fast in such an environment. ("Look. There's the man whose father died. He STILL hasn't gotten off the island yet? Poor guy.").

I could go on and on, but I won't. It's taken me nine months to write this review, because I wanted it to be perfect, but I've had to let go of that. Suffice to say that I experienced something I never expected, the staff rallied around me, supported me, consoled me, kept me occupied, looked out for me, protected me, and cared for me. I will be forever grateful for the assistance shown to me by everyone there. I would like to name several people who contributed so much. I hope they know that I will never forget them and all they did for me: Laura, Beno (who took me on an unforgettable hike up to Poike in the pouring rain), Gina (who convinced me that the statues really did walk), Maha, Nune, Juanita in Housekeeping (what an exuberant spirit), and bartender Carlos, who is one of the most positive and upbeat people I've ever met!

Go. You will not regret it; it is truly the trip of a lifetime.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Everything was perfect for our stay from the moment we picked up our bags at the airport in Hanga Roa until it was time to board the plane back to Santiago. We were welcomed by the manager, Claudia, as if we were guests in her home. Our guides (JoJo, Nicolas, Nune, Martin) were terrific and knowledgeable about Rapa Nui. We learned a lot while enjoying the hiking and views. While the island is small and a 3-night stay is nearly long enough to see most of it, we would liked to have stayed longer just to enjoy the accommodations. The food was great, with a wonderful variety of fresh juices (try the raspberry for sure), and the meats and fish were perfectly prepared. The wait staff was prompt and attentive. Even sitting in the lounge area, someone would come by and ask if you would like something. While the hikes were pre-scheduled, there was a lot of flexibility in making changes. The lodge is several km outside Hanga Roa, but there were opportunities to go into town. One of our group wanted to attend Sunday mass and the staff gladly took her to church. The rooms were very comfortable, well-maintained and spotless, and all have the same view. There are certainly cheaper accommodations on Easter Island, but this is a great place to stay if you have the money (and it is pricey). We also stayed at Explora Patagonia this trip. The only thing better about that property was the location/views. Otherwise, the management, staff and food were much better at Explora Rapa Nui.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to explora Rapa Nui? Share your experiences!