“There is not other hotel but Explora in Easter Island” 5 of 5 stars

explora Rapa Nui
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Te Miro Oone | s/n, Easter Island 2770000, Chile   |
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Easter Island
Kuala Lumpur
“There is not other hotel but Explora in Easter Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Easter Island is not big and it takes only a few hours to go around and you will immediately find out that Explora is probably the best hotel in Easter Island, though there are a few competitors being built around near the airport area. The service at the hotel was very good. The new general manager is also passionated about making the Explora even more better place. The guides were all very good but some spoke better English then others. Very nice hotel and Easter Island was also a nice place to visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
exploraSA, CEO / Gerente General at explora Rapa Nui, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear traveler,

Thank you very much for your very enthusiastic review. I am very happy to read you enjoyed all aspects of your explora experience.

Please know that after visiting one explora lodge, you are entitled to the benefits of our CESA, a recognition program with benefits including rate discounts and room upgrades for repeat guests. For information, kindly visit our website.

Jesús Parrilla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Armonk, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We just stayed for 3 nights at the Explora Rapa Nui and had a really good experience. Being on Easter Island, in of its self was truly amazing. The hotel was very nice. Our room, as they all do, had a nice view of the ocean although it was quite a distance away. It was a very comfortable room. The all inclusive buffet breakfast was good with an adequate selection of fruits, cereals, bread etc. and they would make omelets and pancakes if you requested it. Lunch and dinner was very good as well and on one day were we did not like the selection, they made us grilled chicken and mashed potatoes. The excursions are what really made this resort special. They were well organized and the guides were so knowledgeable. We especially loved out guide Naty. In addition to showing us the archeological sites, she knew I liked taking photos and made sure we were at the site at the right time of the da

Room Tip: Any room is great
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear traveler,

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic review. I am very happy to read you enjoyed almost all aspects of your explora experience.

I am happy to read that our excursions made your journey special. That is part of the explora way of travel. The road to discovery is an adventure in itself, with walking, biking and at some explora lodges horseback riding on equines from explora’s own stables, and even peering deep into space through a private observatory.

Please know that after visiting one explora lodge, you are entitled to the benefits of our CESA, a recognition program with benefits including rate discounts and room upgrades for repeat guests. For information, please visit our website.

Clearwater, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

The local guides at this beautiful resort will enhance your enjoyment of one of the most mystical places on the planet! Be sure to take as many excursions as your time will allow! We were fortunate to be on the island during the Annual Rapa Nui Festival in early February. In addition to the excursions around the Island, we enjoyed the singing, dancing and competitions associated with the Festival. The resort provided transportation to the various events. The resort is all inclusive and the food, wine and drinks are excellent. All the rooms have lovely views. Note: the resort is a fair distance from the beach and from town, but the resort provides transportation to town. This was our second experience with Explora. Our first was Hotel Salto Chico in the Torres del Paine National Park. Explora provides amazing experiences!

Room Tip: All 30 rooms have lovely ocean views!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear traveler,

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic review and continued loyalty to explora. I am so excited to read that you enjoyed Easter Island around the time of the annual Tapati festival in early February.

Tapati is an island-wide tradition dating back nearly four decades. The festival is a celebration of Rapa Nui pride, poise, coordination and creativity, with close to 40 cultural and sporting competitions drawing locals and visitors alike. And if I may add, I think there is no better way to experience it than at Posada de Mike Rapu with explora Rapa Nui. explora travelers can jump right into the excitement and participate in some Tapati events along with explora staff. It’s truly special time to be on Rapa Nui.

We hope that we may welcome you again - maybe to explora Atacama.

new york, new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The other reviews pretty much covered it all, but I just had to chime in.Explora Rapa Nui is the essence of high-end earth-friendly lodging. I LOVE the reusable water bottles and the airy design of the facility. I love that even though they change the full bedding every other day, they changed the pillowcases everyday. I felt like this hotel was environmentally friendly as it could be without sacrificing comfort.

I did the 3 day package, which was perfect. I was able to see most of the island via the excellent guided tours. I met a couple who planned on being there for 7 full days. The island is tiny, so that may have been a bit much for my husband and I. Don't get me wrong, the place is serene and the locals are warm and happy to share their history, But, most of the "must see" sites involve the moi statues, which can be seen within a shorter amount of time.

The only reason that I would suggest a short stay is because the magic of Explora AND of Easter Island was alive all 3 days. I had done a range of tours, eaten like a fat king at every meal, and (because of all of the touring/hiking) slept like a baby! Explora is a great value for the money, but it's A LOT of money. Those budget conscious travelers who plan to go to the island for longer should probably split their time between this space and another property. Explora is great if you are excited for 2 hikes a day and don't feel confined by (all be it, one of the best) all-inclusive environments. If you're looking to just hang out with locals in "town", then Explora may not be a great match for you. But if you want knowledgeable guides and rustic comfort then the all-inclusive price tag is well worth it.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great! No need for a suite. The goal is to spend as little time in your room as p...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear traveler,

Thank you very much for your very passionate review. I am grateful for your mention of explora’s “green” initiatives, such as water bottles, refilling stations and LEED certified building practices. We are happy to add yet another initiative and that is explora’s own orchard, which is just starting to bear fruit.

The organic garden took root in November 2012. explora travelers now can look forward to dining on fresh and organically grown lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, ciboulette, zucchini, bell peppers, sweet peppers, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, melon, watermelon, spinach, pineapple, and more. The garden is also open to peruse any time of the day. With the garden now producing, explora Rapa Nui anticipates being able to cut back on the amount of food it airlifts from mainland Chile, reducing CO2 emissions as a result.

Queensland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We spent 3 nights at explora Lodge on Easter Island and loved our time there . We visited the island between Tahiti and Santiago . This is an all-inclusive stay where accommodation ,meals , drinks, transfers and guided excursions are all included .
We enjoyed sitting with the local guides before dinner and planning what we would do the following day . We had trips that were just the 2 of us and small-group tours of up to 6 people . You can do as much or as little as you want but do see the Big 4 . When we arrived before lunch we were given a chance to do the Cliffs and Caves walk that afternoon which was a great introduction to the island . During our time there we did the 4 must-do trips and still had time to visit the small town . For us the 2 1/2 days was perfect but there was plenty to do if you wanted to stay longer .
Our ensuite room was spacious , spotlessly clean and very comfortable with a lovely view to the coast . Do remember that this is not a 5* hotel but it is perfect for the setting and for the nature of the experience . Having said that it is a very comfortable lodge indeed and if lodges are rated I am sure that this one would be 5* ! The meals were delicious and varied and the food was plentiful . Good Chilean wine was offered with lunch & dinner and the open bar served all other drinks .
The staff were excellent and very welcoming and special mention must be made of the local guides who took such care of us and shared their knowledge and stories so willingly .
We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend explora Lodge very highly . We also went to explora San Pedro Atacama a week later but that needs another great review !
Rapa Nui was an unforgettable experience and we are so glad that we went .

Room Tip: I think that all rooms have a view to the coast .
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear traveler,

Thank you very much for your very kind and detailed review. Your assessment of how many stars the explora lodge warrants makes so much sense to me. I agree, that explora Rapa Nui is not a 5* hotel in the traditional sense. Just as you’ve pointed out, we’ve never aimed for that and instead created our own definition of luxury, the luxury of the essential. We’ve thought long and hard about this concepts years ago and feel that we are 5* - but in a different category.

At explora we seek to offer luxury by focusing on the essential, on providing exactly what our travelers need to make every aspect of their journey as enjoyable and fulfilling as possible.
For us, luxury is in the simple details, which are never superfluous. Its value does not depend on how much it costs but on its ability to enrich your explora travel experience.

I thank you for your kind words and we hope to welcome you at explora again soon!

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stayed in early Nov for 3 nights, but we actually enjoyed the hospitality for nearly 4 days due to flights in/out from Lima. We arrived early and after a quick shower and breakfast, we were out to our first trekking. This was our first time to travel with Explora, and for sure won't be our last time. Like most reviews mentioned, Giovanna, the manager, is warm and really a Explora host. We enjoyed our chat with her a lot and she was there to welcome us back from all trekkings and was there to farewell us!

Room: I really don't think there are any bad rooms in there, since all rooms come with a view of the ocean. Not like the beach is right outside of your window. But it's a great quiet view of sunrise! Really comfy bed and pillows, enough counter space in the bathroom to put out everything. Reusable drinking bottle for you to bring to all your trekking and hiking as welcome gifts! A very great idea!

F&B: It's all about Pisco-Sour! We tried so many different types of sour: pina, strawberry, raspberry, passion fruit… you name it. Lunch and dinner are both on set-menu and you enjoy a nice selection of breakfast buffet. Anytime during your stay, you can get a coffee, tea or something refreshing from the bar. My partner is gluten intolerance and they took great care of him.
Trekking and hiking: Guides are 85% wonderful! We love how they shared stories from their families and you don’t just arrive at a destination to see something. You actually walk and listen to all the stories and history with your guides. Smallest group we had was just two of us and biggest one was 6 guests together! We love Nune, she is simply great!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear traveler,

Thank you so much for your very enthusiastic and detailed review.

I am particularly happy to read your final sentence: “I know there will be more and more options on the island, but stay and experience the Explora if you can!” Wherever explora has opened a lodge over the past 20 years, other options have developed over time. Humbly we like to think of ourselves as visionaries who proposed a different way to see remote destinations in South America, when it initially seemed crazy. Experiential travel is a trend now and in that time we’ve developed not only an immense experience, but also an even stronger believe that THIS indeed the only way for us to travel. explora isn’t right for everyone, but for many, even those that arrive as skeptics. We believe in catering to your individual travel goals and do our best to assist you in achieving that goal.

I am very grateful for your review.

After visiting one explora lodge, you are entitled to the benefits of our CESA, a recognition program with benefits including rate discounts and room upgrades for repeat guests. For information, kindly visit our website.

San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

The overall experience was very nice. As many have stated, Giovanna is an excellent, welcoming manager. There were some nice details, like a little chocolate piece on the bed and fresh water replenished every day in your room.

The food was excellent - my only quibble is that I wish there was more of it! They provide three meals a day, and you can eat as much as you want at breakfast, but I guess I must have been getting a lot of exercise during excursions because I found myself to be quite hungry in between meals and when I went to bed. It would e great to have snack items available throughout the day to stave off hunger.

The rooms are air conditioned, but the A/C doesn't work well. I found myself sweating even with the A/C set at max. It is Rey humid there.

My only minor complaint is the inconsistency in the quality of the guides. A couple of them did not speak good English so it was hard to understand what we were seeing. If there were Spanish speakers in the group, some of the guides devoted their time to them and not to the English speakers. And one guide seemed rather surly and not particularly happy to be there.

Otherwise, things here were really nice. I think I got a lot of value out of the guided tours that I wouldn't ave gotten if I had been on my own.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear traveler,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am terribly sorry to read that you didn’t feel that the explora meals satisfied you throughout the day. In addition to the meal times that you mentioned, there are snacks on hand during excursions and finger foods offered every night in the bar area, where guides and travelers meet to discuss next days’ excursions. I wish you would have said something to a staff member, it would have been our pleasure to provide you with some snacks in your room.

It has been addressed with our team your comment about focusing on Spanish speaking guests during excursions, which should not happen. It is understandable that a language-divide at times can leave the impression that a guide speaks more with particular guest, but that is in part what explora guides are trained to do; address individual questions. But there is a fine balance between doing that and making you feel left out. Overall our guiding philosophy is to not overburden travelers with information, but help with giving a each a foundation of understanding and knowledge, as well as leaving time for quiet contemplation.

Thank you sharing your feedback.

After visiting one explora lodge, you are entitled to the benefits of our CESA, a recognition program with benefits including rate discounts and room upgrades for repeat guests. For information, please visit our website.

Jesús Parrilla

Been to explora Rapa Nui? Share your experiences!