“Great Experience in Argentina” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Estancia El Ombu de Areco

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Antonio de Areco
Estancia El Ombu de Areco
You added Estancia El Ombu de Areco to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   RP 31, cuartel VI,Villa Lia, San Antonio de Areco | Argentina, San Antonio de Areco 2760, Argentina   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Great Experience in Argentina”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We loved our stay at Estancia El Ombu and were disappointed when we had to go.We stayed 3 nights but wished we had stayed 4 as we were enjoying it so much,we rode twice a day and were given nice horses as we can ride and were allowed to go off ahead and canter.
The scenery is lovely and the birds are really good,lovely owls sitting on the fences,as well as other varieties of birds
The Gauchos are great and we really enjoyed the rides with them and the displays at lunch time .
The rooms are authentic and so is the whole Estancia and very original.The food was really good and plenty of it.
The meat at lunch is amazing, with lovely salads and you get any Empanadas at around 12.00 with a drink then lunch at 1.30.
Then you get tea and cake later in the afternoon before the afternoon ride.
Thee pool was lovely after riding and we swam most days.
The Gaucho has an amazing relationship with his horse and gives a really good in sight into this.
I loved my horse called Bekki and would have loved to take it back to the UK
Great stay

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

We cannot recommend the Estancia El Ombu enough - we had a wonderful experience from the beginning to the end. Staff made us very welcome and we loved the ranch - the food and wines were excellent and, although not experienced riders, we went trekking twice,. Everyone we met, from Patricia to Ramon and Diego and Eva, the owner, went out their way to make us welcome! We also enjoyed meeting other guests at the ranch.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

The legend gaucho was in charge of the ranch, and he was very kind to visitors. He was dressed up traditional gaucho style with silver accessories、and showed us how to look after live stocks.
Asado, the BBQ was the best I ever had. It was very thick, tender, and tasty.
We stayed in cozy cottage and was an excellent experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Very grand, old and majestic working ranch. Two lovely pools, one an infinity pool. Meals under the trees. Riding twice a day if u can management it. Staff friendly and helpful. At the BBQ lunches the delicious meat just kept coming. Thoroughly recommend it. If not a horse rider u can chill out.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at the Estancia El Ombu over Christmas 2013 for three nights with our family of 5 (children aged 17, 22 and 24). We drove from BA EZE International Airport - it was an easy 1.5 hour drive - we chose it because it was close to BA so that we didn't have a very difficult and long drive after our international flight from London. We arrived in time for lunch and had a wonderful, very relaxing few days chilling, riding and enjoying the stunning surroundings.

It's full board so everything is included including wine and drinks with meals and it is excellent value. Lunches were always Asados with meat from the grill and taken at tables set out on the lawns in the shade of some beautiful mature trees. You sit at your own tables if you are in a family group but there were a few single travellers who were very happily accommodated and mixed in with all of the other guests. A really nice mix of people from all over stayed while we were there. Oscar (one of the Gauchos) would come along after lunch and sing some traditional songs and there would also be a very cool demonstration involving another gaucho and one of the horses. Dinners were also taken outside on a patio by the kitchen block.

The setting is totally stunning and peaceful in the Pampas. You are very close to the pretty Gaucho town of San Antonio de Areco which we visited on one of our days (we had a hire car). Our rooms were in the original building - beautiful old fashioned, high ceilings, ceiling fans and en suite bathrooms. NO air-conditioning which wasn't a problem for us although they were having a bit of a heatwave when we stayed. There are two pools - the larger one is further away from the main house but very exposed so a bit too hot for us. We preferred the small courtyard pool by the house which had more shade.

For residents there are two rides available each day. We would go out every morning at about 9.30 am and evenings at about 6 pm for an hour or hour and a half each time. If you are a competent rider you can ask for a better horse but most people were beginners and everyone loved the riding in the surrounding Pampas countryside - all on land belonging to the Estancia. There is an amazing variety of birdlife for those who are interested.

Diego who is the owner was there most of the time and was an excellent and friendly host. During the day they have a lot of day trippers coming in from Buenos Aires who go for a mid-day ride and then stay on for lunch so there are quite a few more people around mid-day but mornings and evenings are extremely peaceful and quiet and the day-trippers don't bother you - there is loads of space for everyone. The Estancia has around 12 rooms so we were mostly 20+ for dinners and not everyone went riding each time. There are also options for carriage drives for those who don't want to ride. There is a large pool table in the main living room. At night the toads come out en masse on the patios around the house and help control the bug population (which really wasn't an issue for the humans). There is limited wifi in the indoor dining room/kitchen area.

It's slightly faded elegance and doesn't have super luxury facilities but then again that is part of the charm of the place and one of the reasons we loved it. Our whole family loved the experience of staying here on our first few days in Argentina.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Badalona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I spent an afternoon at this estancia just for the horse-riding excursion. It was fantastic! El Ombú is surrounded by huge fields where horses and riders can enjoy freedom and nature. The excursion lasted about an hour; we were a group of around ten people, most of them staying at the estancia, I was travelling on my own and the guides (unfortunately I cannot remember their names) were very attentive. It was one of the most beautiful experiences of my trip to Argentina.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
LONDON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I opted to stay here overnight. Many guests go for the day. When I was there there were just 7 other guests in the hotel but probably a dozen more for the riding during the day.
The estancia is reassuringly distant from Buenos Aires so that it doesnt feel like a tourist offering. However the 2 hour drive makes it entirely do-able for a day outing from the capital. Staying overnight means you get to do a couple of rides, and that was the reason I wanted to visit. That said, as I had a flight at 1 pm the following day I had to depart at 8 am which meant I couldn't ride that morning, so instead they gave me 2 rides on the day I arrived - before and after lunch.
The Estancia feels truly historical and of its time. My bedrooom was wonderful - cool breezes through the windows meant no need for air-con. The bedstead looked old but the bed itself was super comfortable. Bathroom was in an antique style but again managed to be very nice to use. I really liked the building. Swimming pool was not used at all whilst I was there (we had a big thunderstorm) but both of them looked lovely. I wish I had had more time to enjoy the facilities.
The riding was very good fun. I am used to the English saddle and style of riding. This was way different and more fun. The laid back style felt a bit like riding a harley davidson! The horses are playful but I would say very used to all levels of rider. My morning one kept biting the bottoms of the others and setting them off in a trot. The afternoon one took off at a gallop when he saw the gaucho hand me a stick. Really good fun. They don't supply any riding gear though so I took jods and my riding hat. Only a couple of others had bothered though. Most people rode in their normal walking shoes/trainers. I think offering riding hats for hire might be a good idea though.
Lunch was a feast of barbecued meats, served by the charming gauchos. Dinner was (surprisingly) lighter and served in the dining room rather than on the verandah. Plenty of very nice wine. Breakfast was so early for me as I had to leave.. but they were kind enough to open the kitchen to offer me coffee and croissants a full hour before the normal breakfast time.
If I could go again I would definitely try to stay for a couple of days. This one is good for children learning to ride and good for adults too. Its really good fun ... and great to be able to say you rode with the gauchos!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Estancia El Ombu de Areco? Share your experiences!