“Best Customer Service I've ever experienced” 5 of 5 stars

Los Cerros
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   San Martin 260, El Chalten, Argentina   |
Ranked #13 of 17 hotels in El Chalten
dallas
“Best Customer Service I've ever experienced”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

This place was amazing. My friend and I traveled 2 1/2 weeks through patagonia and stayed at some pretty incredible hotels, but this one hands down had the best customer service. Any drink on the menu free when you walk in the door. Great happy hour with half off drinks and FREE food platter with amazing cheeses and meats and fruits and breads. Come on now! The dinners were great. The breakfasts were incredible... and I will add that the last morning we were there, we had to take the shuttle back to El Calafate at 6:30... so they brought us breakfast on a tray to our rooms at 6. I've attached a photo for you to see. The staff was amazingly helpful and in all of my travels the best in customer service I have ever seen. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

First of all we didn't plan to stay here it was a last minute thing. The wind and rain were unbearable while we were backpacking in the park so we opted to turn back and head down the mountain into town and look for an available room. Of course last minute, there wasn’t much available and we didn’t want to continue walking from place to place in the rain to see who had space, so we ended up taking the first free room we encountered at the ridiculously expensive Hotel Los Cerros. When I walked in the door soaking wet the female receptionist kind of gave me the stink eye when I asked if this was a hotel and how much the rooms were. She showed me the paper with the rate like I wouldn't be able to afford it. I admit that I wasn't thrilled that it cost that much but it was more a matter of value that my ability to afford it. I was happy to have a warm and dry place to sleep that night, but it is 3-4 times the cost of other hotels in town. The upside is the rooms were quite large and allowed us to spread out all of our gear so that it could dry out. After a super hot long bath we were doing much better. We ate dinner at the hotel as we had no interest in going back out in the rain to dine elsewhere. Most of the food was good, but my lamb dish was a severe disappointment, especially for how much it costs here compared to other places in Patagonia.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Issaquah, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

We really liked this hotel. The hotel looked new and our rooms were really comfortable. We loved the large and clean bathroom.. We had breakfast daily and it was really great. We spend all day hiking and would return in the evening. The staff were fun and helpful. They have a great bar with a decent wine list. Its perfect after a long day hiking.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

My friend and I just returned from a terrific stay at Los Cerros and after reading some of the negative comments in earlier reviews, I feel I need to write in because our experience was near perfect. First, the staff is incredible. From the moment we walked in the door to our departure 4 days later we felt like Los Cerros was our home-away-from-home. Upon arrival we were ushered to a cozy sitting area with the fluffiest couch and chair cushions I've ever seen in my life. (Perhaps the reviewer who commented earlier that the couches were dirty like a frat house saw a difference b/c they visited at the end of the season and we were there at the very beginning of the season? Regardless, all of the furniture seemed like new and overall the hotel was exceptionally clean.) Once seated we were offered welcome drinks and given a lovely overview of the area and the hotel. Our dinners at the hotel were incredible and the fantastic wait staff only added to our enjoyment of the meals. The best creme brulee I've ever had in my life. My traveling companion is a vegan, which can be difficult in meat-loving Argentina. However we notified the hotel before we arrived and every night at dinner they had delicious vegan options ready. We were both really impressed by the gourmet quality of the food here.
With regards to the hotel's location...yes, Los Cerros is on a hill, however from reading an earlier review I expected it to be set apart from the town and a good 5-10 minute walk into town. This was not the case at all. El Chalten is so small you can blink and you'll miss it (although it's expanding so quickly this will not be the case in a few years). Los Cerros is pretty nearly in the center of town. Yes, it is on a hill, and it is the only place in town on a hill, so it definitely stands out, but the hill takes about 30 seconds to walk down the driveway. So yes, Los Cerros stands out, but it is unquestionably one of the more aesthetically pleasing buildings in town, so it's not really a bad thing. (El Chalten is pretty much a big construction site right now and a lot of things being built are ugly. The town really should set some design regulations to help maintain the charm of the town). And being on a hill just means the views are that much more spectacular.
There are only 3 negative things we can say about Los Cerros: 1-not nearly enough lighting in the rooms- packing or organizing our suitcases at night was challenging; 2-the keys for the room doors were kind of a pain, key cards would be so much easier; 3-this hotel is in dire need of some outdoor benches and/or lounge chairs. We would have loved to sit outside to relax during the day or to take in the night sky, but there was no outdoor seating
That said, I will definitely recommend Los Cerros to anyone visiting El Chalten and can't wait to go back. It is without question the best hotel in town (however by the looks of a couple of other hotels nearing completion, it will have some competition next year)
(On a side note: If you are visiting El Chalten and El Calafate (as most visitors tend to pair the two) spend as much of your time in Chalten and as little as possible in Calafate. The only reason to go to Calafate is to visit the Perino Moreno glacier (which is amazing and worth a visit). The town of Calafate itself is an overpriced tourist trap and you'll want to get out of there as quickly as possible. I highly recommend skipping the town of Calafate altogether and staying at Los Cerros' sister hotel (we didn't stay there but wished we had) which is inside the park and don't worry about not getting to explore the town of Calafate. It's not worth it.)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Frankfurt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

The hotel is a great base for hiking the area around mount Fitz Roy. We found this to be the best hiking we did on our Patagonia trip (Argentina and Chile included). The area is far less busy than the Torres del Paine in Chile but equally stunning. The rooms and hotel feels a bit basic considering the prices charged but the service is great and you can't beat the location. Some of the hiking starts right from the hotel doorsteps.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Arlington, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

The locals refer to Los Cerros as the Castle on the Hill, and not admiringly. For my two early-30 year old friends and myself, this hotel was a bit too pretentious for us and hosted a much older clientele. Nice amenties, but I would recommend something closer to town or in town if you're younger and wanting to hang out at the great local pubs and restaurants.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

We stayed 4 nights in El Chalten and loved the town, the hiking, the food, and the location / service of the hotel. That said, this hotel is NOT luxury and is very overpriced, built cheaply and haphazardly. The guestroom doors/ dressers and the dining room ceiling are made of particle board, the couches in the main area are disgustingly dirty (on par with a college frat house), the sitting chairs throughout are lumpy and quite uncomfortable and the general infrastructure seems as though it might tumble under the great Patagonian winds at any moment (which makes for restless sleep). In addition, I advise women to stay away from the groping masseuse (yuk). The hotel is somewhat saved by its great service (the staff is very friendly and welcoming) and the nice views (if you pay up for them). Save your money and stay somewhere else in El Chalten and REAL splurge for Explora in Torres del Paine instead.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Los Cerros? Share your experiences!