“Not bad” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Collingwood, Canada
“Not bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Visited this location last year and didn't find it that good or bad. This time food was good the only issue is the server wasn't very attentive when we ran out of drinks and it's hard the get their attention when they're in the other room out off site for most of the time.

Big servings though and good food. We would visit again but be sure to ask for drinks and bbq sauce if you ready like to cover your food.

36% Recommend
mymrozetka
“Big does not mean good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The portions are really huge. I prefer quality, not quantity. For me it was a wrong choice of place. I was looking for a simple meal to enjoy. I ordered pulled chicken sandwich. Huge mistake. The bun was cold, the chicken was very dry. Fries were good though.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Big Portions!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Had a great meal here, and the portions are huge! We tried the wings, ribs and beef brisket. The Ribs were definitely the best thing we had! Recommend this place. Service was a little slow, but they were still very nice and polite.

Visited August 2013
Wasaga Beach, Canada
“Food is good but I would be hardpressed to call it true BBQ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I've been to Big Chris three times as my kids wanted to go back (ages 2-10). My kids love the pulled pork nachos and we have had the chicken, side ribs, baby back ribs, brisket, pulled pork, beans, fries, and coleslaw. My kids would go back.

However, having now travelled in the US with the express goal of sampling BBQ in various locations there, I have to say the this place doesn't measure up to American BBQ. There were several key areas that require improvement to measure up to the KSBS standard (or other similar standards). First, in our meal last week the brisket was hardly discernible between roast beef and smoked brisket. The beef flavor was very good, but it wasn't smoky and there was no noticeable smoke ring. Also, the rub was only weakly perceptible other than a hint of black pepper. Likewise, the pulled pork had no conspicuous smoke ring or pink smoked bits indicating sufficient smoking. Second, the bark on the pork was very thin and had the same consistency of the middle part of the butt. For both the pork and beef the texture seemed like it had been steamed or held in a Texas crutch or cambro too long. The pull test demonstrated adequate cooking for the brisket. The ribs were better. For my liking there could have been more sauce, but that is a personal matter. The smoke flavor was stronger with the ribs but still mild. The bite on the ribs saw the meat fall off the bone (which I personally like but some call over cooked).

My wife liked the coleslaw and kids loved the fries and nachos. I will give them credit with the chicken. It was breast meat, a little on the dry side and mildly seasoned, which you don't often see by itself at a BBQ place and is also hard to cook. I personally would have cooked the whole bird, shredded it, and given a mix to the patrons but I am not adverse to having just white meat.

The service was excellent and the dining atmosphere (if you are into that) was pretty much what you would expect in a beach area BBQ place.

The decor isn't like many US BBQ places that have a BBQ theme to them or license plates or WWII posters hanging on the walls. Unlike chain restaurants that claim to be BBQ places there were no wooden post and beam facades and fake animal heads hanging on the walls.

This place has a great potential and a growing fan base. The other patrons I have spoken to have enjoyed the food and some come back regularly. Consequently, it does have an excellent potential with some tweaks.

All in all, my kids like it and we may go back because the food was good, but it just wasn't what we were used to with American style BBQ.

Visited July 2013
Brantford, Canada
“O.M.G good !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

the rib and chicken was to die for .... and the amount was so so so big to ,, we had to share the place was clean and nicely decorated, we really enjoyed our meal
i would really recommend it ,, and we will be back again to eat their

Visited July 2013