“So much untapped potential...” 1 of 5 stars

You added Dyconia Resort to your Saves list
Dyconia Resort
361 Mosley, Wasaga Beach, Ontario L0L 2P0, Canada   |
Gatineau
“So much untapped potential...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Hi All,

Unfortunately, we had booked before we found the very helpfull reviews on this site. Needless to say our expectations were very low going there. But we were still disapointed.

Most of the place is closed, 75% of the features mentioned in the brochure are closed. No restaurant, no lounge, no nothing. Most of the place looks like it's falling appart and nobody cares. They do the strict minimum and even then.

First, we had booked the last $148 room which turned out to not be available when we showed up so we got an upgrade which is nice. But the room seemed like an afterthought or like it wasn't meant to be rented. It was dirty and less then nice. But it had a jacousi (sp?). We got cleaning supplies at the local Walmart and gave it a good clean up.

The room wasn't that bad, it's just the little details that made it bad. Like the nice mirror closet doors are rolling on a completely rusted track. Not just spots of rust, it's completely rusted. The window frame was rusted too so the window couldn't close properly. It's full of little things like that, half finished renovations, dirty blinds, melamine missing fromt he counters and the list goes on. I am not sure why, but there was two uncomfortable futons in the room but no table to eat on. Weird.

On the positive side, it was well sound proofed, the kids downstairs said they played loud music all night but we didn't hear them. We had the AC on though. The bed was comfortable. I selpt well and I usually don't unless I'm at home or on a good quality mattress.

I would not recomend this place to anybody else. The best Motel there seemed to be the SAGA resort but it was booked when we called.

I hope this was helpfull to you.

Marc

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

The pics on the homepage do not match with reality. A dirty and sweaty guy welcomed us at the reception desk. Our room was dirty and stinky, we were not sure if towels were clean as we found hairs and stains on them. The whole resort is shabby and old and totally overpriced. Our recommendtation: Stay far, far away!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

In summary, we felt like we were staying in an old abandoned hotel that was run down and neglected. I would never go back and never recommend this hotel to anyone. I have taken pictures and will add them shortly so please look again if they’re not uploaded yet. Here are my comments:

The Room (Room # 1):
Towels - clean but old and worn, some with holes.
Furniture - very old and worn.
Band-aid repairs, i.e. they tried to fix the floor by rolling out laminate flooring over what seemed like many small pot holes, without first laying a sub-floor.
Fireplace – drywall around the facing of the fireplace, primed and left unfinished. The metal slats at the bottom of the fireplace were broken off and the wiring was exposed – dangerous if you have children.
Bathroom –started to paint the bathroom but not finished. The towel racks were cheap clear plastic ones which were not removed before painting. There is a water leak in the bathroom above so the ceiling has some issues.

Outside:
Outside Deck - The roof over our deck (there is another deck above us) was filled with cobwebs making you worry what is dropping in your hair and food. In fact, there were a lot of cobwebs throughout the property, yuk!
Landscaping – the weeds are very healthy and the evergreens are dying or dead. There were weeds EVERYWHERE, some as tall as me. A few perennials left from previous owners have survived and added a small splash of colour. A shame about the evergreens.
Docks – Two full docks left and one dilapidated dock floating a few feet from shore, sinking into the water.
Outside Patio – Restaurant was apparently closed immediately after the new owners purchased the property. It looks as though everyone just got up and walked away. All chairs and tables are still sitting vacant. Again, lots of weeds around the patio and stairs.
Light posts (2) at the bottom of patio stairs are in poor repair, light globes broken and missing.
Garbage – There is a small shed and abandoned patio platform at the edge of the water where a large pile of tires were dumped, probably from the docks. It just looks like a pile of garbage.
The Groundskeeper – There was a fellow pushing around an old rusty, squeaky wheelbarrow while we were relaxing by the water. This fellow had been “bumming” cigarettes from our friend and even asked for a beer. He spoke to us, telling us how he was going home after a long day – but we were in shock listening to him use the F word at least 6 times.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Just don’t go there.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Nova Scotia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

This review ended up under the "Restaurant" section of Trip Advisor so I'm posting it here again because of how strongly I feel that this owner should be taken to task. Run away from this place and book the Saga Resort down the street - same price, one million times cleaner, free breakfast, and WONDERFUL, honest people. The man who owns the Dyconia (Troy Vane) ought to be ashamed of himself - I see he's a real estate agent too - I hope no one ever uses him for their real estate needs!

Here's my review:

We booked this "resort" based on their website and the nice pictures on it. We were travelling from Halifax on the sad occasion of my dad's sudden death - he lived in the Wasaga Beach area for the past 15 years. We were promised a cottage that slept 6. We arrived in Wasaga Beach just in time for the first visitation at the funeral home, and after that session, went to the Dyconia to check in. We only had enough time to check in and pay, before we were due back for the second visitation session. Unfortunately, when we arrived to check in, there were only cleaning staff in the horrible, smelly lobby and there was much confusion as they were waiting for the "manager" to show up - should have been our first clue but we were there during distressing times and also under a time constraint. We also had family booked in to the Dyconia who were arriving later from Winnipeg. Anyway, when we went back to check into our cottage, there was not-quite-dried blood and blood spatter on the patio, and broken glass. Inside, the fireplace was in complete disrepair, the "kitchen" non-existent, a sofa I wouldn't sit on, and the "sleeps 6" option consisted of one room with three double beds crowded in. The bathroom light was so dim you couldn't see anything (probably for good reason) but what we could see was the smeared and dirty glass. There was no way I was putting my head on a pillow in there and so we went to the "manager" and said we just couldn't stay there. He said ok, but there are no refunds. We paid $300 for two nights and he said it was impossible for him to refund our credit charge, as it had already gone through and he was just the front desk person, who only worked there 10 months ago. We tried to appeal to his sense of decency, but to no avail - we will be disputing the credit card charge, have called the Department of Health, and will report him to the BBB. He promised the owner would call us the next day (after my father's funeral, so as not to disturb us, the nice guy) and we were not surprised when no phone call came. We found out from long-standing members of the Wasaga Beach community, that this man (Troy), in fact, was the owner, but would not admit it to us, and lied to us knowing of our distressing circumstance. Anyway, just a word of advice - if you want to go there with 10 of your teenage friends, party, puke and pass out, this is the place for you. I just find it disappointing that there are such heartless people in this world, but there you go.

• Stayed May 2009
Bolton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

We just spent the weekend at Wasaga Beach and stayed at the Dyconia. When we arrived the check in took only a couple of minutes, the clerk was friendly and helpful in answering all of our questions. The room we booked was really clean and quiet even though the Hotel was full. I couldn't believe how close to the Beach and all the different restaurants and bars we were. We all really enjoyed our stay and have already booked a room again for August.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

It's hard to believe that places this bad can stay in business. We booked months in advance and were sent a confirmation. We were told that payment was required upon check-in. Three weeks ago, we received a call - and a very rude one at that - that one night's deposit was required to secure the room under a new policy. OK, I can understand why a resort would want some guarantee. I did not protest and immediately authorized the payment. All I asked for was an e-mail confirmation for the payment, which I was told would come shortly.

When I telephoned the following day (after determining that they charge was placed on the card) to simply ask the desk about when I could expect the e-mail (c'mon, how long does that take??) the clerk became very agitated and rude. Eventually, we received profuse apologies from Troy Vaine, the owner, as well as a detailed reservation confirmation. Five days later, we get an e-mail (that was also sent to 8 other people) that the Dyconia had overbooked and that our reservations were canceled. No explanation whatsoever was given. This is 7 weeks after we booked.

It's not possible for me to tell whether the owner/staff are stupid, incompetent, dishonest or all three, but this much is certain: I have very rarely encountered such a flagrant and repeated absence of professionalism or decency. I suspect that the rooms are still available at a higher rate. Whatever the case, after being treated with such contempt, I wouldn't stay at the Dyconia for free, and would discourage in the strongest possible terms, anyone else from risking a similarly unpleasant experience.

Been to Dyconia Resort? Share your experiences!