“not that happy, but ok i guess.” 2 of 5 stars

J&J Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   201 Main Street, Wasaga Beach, Ontario L9Z 2L3, Canada   |
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Wasaga Beach
Oshawa, Canada
“not that happy, but ok i guess.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We arrived with our group of 7 three adults, two teen girls and my 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son. No big rooms were available so we rented two. There were no there guests so we felt like we had the run of the place. We had a BBQ at there quaint dinning picnic area one propane tank was so seized that i couldn't open it (I'm a contractor), So i used another BBQ. when I opened it there were old hot-dogs on the grill.Gross!! After we ate my kids played at there nice playground. I couldn't take my eyes off of my my children because there park is only half fenced in and there right on the main highway.One of my family went to the washroom and the toilet clogged, and the lady came over handed me towels and a plunger and said" Here take these in case it floods" So i unclogged the toilet. We walked about 15 minutes down to the beach and watched the kids play. We decided to return to the motel and after a short while went for a swim in there lovely salt water pool. It was warm and nice on the skin. as we got out of the pool my wife stubbed her toe on there buckled driveway asphalt, I actually think we all did at some point to the point we all have at least one cut on our toes. We still had the place to our-self's. My mother in-law used the washroom(number 1 i am told), and it clogged again this time over flowing everywhere.We get the lady who comes running over mad about her floor being wet and not worrying about our clothes now covered in sewage water. A man came over I assume her husband and he said" I know what happened, I've seen this before, I've been doing this 15 years, you flushed a diaper down the toilet!" I was angry now. He said he would have a professional come in the morning and prove that I flushed a diaper. My mother in-law was switched rooms to beside one that stunk of moth balls so bad the smell resonated through the door. As for us we we're stuck beside a room with a sewage problem. The smell of sewage now sunk into the room my wife and kids were sleeping in. We looked up reviews of j&j's and discovered everyone talking about a Continental breakfast which turns out to be just a complementary coffee and honey bun. i asked the owner about this and she says she hasn't served anything in 15 years that that is not online. OK what ever. Timmie's it is then. on the way out at 11 a.m we asked if we may bbq our hamburgers to bring to the beach with use and were abruptly told "No not after all that trouble last night". I can honestly say i will never recommend this place to any one.

Room Tip: not 6,7,9,or 10. wifi barely worked.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

After discovering this very family friendly Wasaga Beach getaway we will never stay anywhere else. We were greeted by a very friendly hardwiring hostess who obviously took great care of the property. She was very friendly and welcoming and offered us the great picnic area with BBQ and a great area for children and families to play, a beautiful clean pool along with cozy rooms with fridge and microwave. The motel is a close walk to the main beach and to local shopping. We had a wonderful stay, felt very safe and enjoyed a very peaceful family getaway. We look forward to many more visits this summer and I would highly recommend any family looking for a quiet safe getaway to visit this great family oriented motel. Tell them Anne and Bruce sent you. Have a great summer.

• Stayed June 2014
Pickering, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is Wasaga Beach so you should know what you are getting into when you go there. In the summer this is a party beach with young people coming to have some fun (often in large groups). The location is great. The kids could walk to the beach in the evening (too far to lug all your stuff to the beach during the day). You can walk to mini golf, to get ice cream, etc.

The room was clean and neat. The bathroom had towels, soap, shampoo. The room had a microwave and a mini fridge which were very useful. The room also had a TV but didn't appear to have cable so we didn't get any channels. In any case the kids just watched the movies we brought for their DVD player.

The breakfast was honeybuns (individually packaged) and juice boxes. There was also coffee and tea. The pool was awesome. It was heated and we felt like it was our own private pool. The kids were allowed to bring in their inflatable boats. The hotel was not busy during the week so it was quiet and nice with a few other families with kids. Beside the pool there is a very nice and clean little playground for the kids. There are several picnic tables and BBQs which is where we made our dinner. They supply the lighter, propane and tongs for the BBQ.

Some obnoxious people decided to light fireworks at about 2am in the empty field behind the motel. This woke us up as they were hooting and hollering as well.... but it's Wasaga Beach so this type of thing didn't surprise us. The beds were 2 doubles and with kids who squirm and kick you all night long queen size would have been better.

The room had air conditioning but we didn't use it. To turn it on/off it appears you have to plug it in or unplug it. We just used the ceiling fan and that was good enough for us.

The room was clean with no bugs except if you left food out and then a few ants would come and swarm. Just make sure all your food is in tight containers, in your car or in the fridge. We made sure to toss all our food garbage in the outdoor garbage cans.

We will likely stay here again next year. The pool is a real bonus feature with kids who can't seem to get enough swimming done in a day. I also like motels because you can drive your car right up to your front door so if you have a ton of crap you can go in and out of your car easily to get it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The owner was very pleasent and hospitable, the pool was very nice, our room was clean (other than the windows) but VERY run down, more like a rustic 'camp'.
Does NOT have a continental breakfast; just Honey Buns (the packaged kind you put in your kid's lunch), juice boxes and coffee. All in all I would stay there again, would ask for a better rate than $89 + tx/night BUT would recommend to the lovely and hospitable owners that some major updates NEED be done to the property.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
kitchener
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

After family members rented the room, we went to greet our family. Upon 15 minutes and our two kids jumping in the pool, the owner rudely approched us and asked if we were staying. I stated we were visiting family. With only 2 other families there, I hardly felt our two children were taking up space from other customers. Simply enjoying a dip on a hot day while the grown ups chatted. Without consideration that we may end up staying ourselves or perhaps in a professional manner stating we could stay for the day for fee, she glared me down and said, "are those your kids in the pool? Are you staying here? You are not allowed here"...I explained she didn't have to be rude and she said well you cannot be here, your family signed a contract no guests!!!! As a business owner, she had no professionalism none what so ever. As if her motel was of any class. The pool is the only thing she has going for her! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND this place if you want true sincere appreciation as a customer. FAKENESS is what you get from these people, for those that felt she was so pleasant!!! She was pleasant because you showed her the money!!!! Even our families upon arrival who had accomodations were snarled at until she realized they had reservations. In Canada we treat people with respect lady....not just your kind!!!! RUDE is being kind to describe these people.... Book else where people!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Wasaga Beach, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Well renovating our home we stayed at J AND J MOTEL, this lasted for several weeks last summer. It is run by a lovely lady and her 2 daughters, they were always pleasant and helpful. The Pool was wonderful after a long hot day working at our home! This motel is one of the cleanest l've seen and everything is within walking distance, no need for a car. l would stay there again without hesitation. Beds were very clean and comfortable with a nice shower and mini fridge. Overall l have no complaints and would recommend this motel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

Lets start with the positives...the hostess was outstanding, she was very accomodating and personable and welcoming, you could tell she truly enjoyed what she was doing. Another positive with the gorgeous pool, absolute luxury. The hotel was close the the beach, about a 15 minute walk, not 5 minutes as stated. There was not a continental breakfast..there were danish cakes in shrink wrap, all the same, that you could take, as well as a pot of coffee with tiny styrofoam cups...this is not a continental breakfast as advertised and is blatantly lying to potential guests. This was one of my biggest beefs, as well as a problem for the family, as we had hoped to grab breakfast before we left for the beach each day and be full until lunch...NOT THE CASE.
The rooms were tiny...about the size of my bedroom at home. The decor was from my grandmothers basement. Aside from the stains on the carpet, it was clean. The TV was 19 inch. The furniture was garage sale specials, The one picture on the wall was stained so yellow, that you could not make out what it was. The A/C was a noisy window unit, with all the control buttons removed. The motel is located across from a very busy campgroud with lots of noise, music and fire works any night of the week. The internet was non-existent, unless you wanted to sit outside to use your laptop. The shower was a tin stall, which flooded the bathroom everytime you used it. The motel is in desperate need of refurbishing to bring it into the 21st century...it also needs to be honest about its walk to the beach...a good 15 minutes, and its lack of a continental breakfast...THERE IS NOT CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST. This motel is not cheap...I could not believe what we were paying so highly for...made me sick to think of it.
Please email me if you have any questions.

Room Tip: All rooms were the same
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to J&J Motel? Share your experiences!