We stayed 2 nights at the Dragon over the August bank hol weekend. When we booked (2 weeks before) the only remaining room available was a standard room at £60 per night.
Overall, whilst we enjoyed our stay, the room left something to be desired, ie space and a comfortable bed! We travel a lot, and book a range of accommodation, and normally accept minor shortcomings as part of the experience. The room, however, was really too small for a double, as you could barely walk around the bed. To make it worse, there was very limited storage space to put luggage, hang clothes, etc. We managed as we were only there 2 nights, but negotiating your way around the room was a bit like an assault course. A week would have been very uncomfortable. To make it worse, the mattress had seen better days (very very soft) and we didn't get a good nights sleep.
The rest of the hotel was fine, in a good location, and peaceful, just off the main road. Re earlier comments, we have a Ford Focus and negogiated the narrow passageway up to the rear car park without any scrapes!
We had a lovely meal in the restaurant which was good quality, well presented and good value for money. The staff were friendly and we also enjoyed breakfast (choice of traditional cooked, or kippers).
We would highly recommend that you book a superior room, as we understood from the staff that these had been recently refurbished. It would be worth paying the extra.
Other restaurant recommendation - The Bear in Crickhowell. We had a lovely meal in that Hotel's high quality restaurant - very nice if a little pricey, but worth it for a special occasion.
Other things to do in the area - we really enjoyed a boat trip on the Brecon Canal from Talybont-on-Usk - £30 for 2hrs - beautiful scenery and good fun trying to steer the boat!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Character 18th C Hotel, very popular with guests who enjoy a quiet traditional hotel and a relaxed informal atmosphere. The hotel is a family-run establishment which prides itself on a warm and friendly welcome. Good position in centre of picturesque Crickhowell on the river Usk. Situated at the heart of the Brecon Beacons, The Dragon Hotel is the ideal place for walkers or anybody who enjoys the outdoors. Magnificent walks available from right outside our doorstep. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com and BookingOdigeoWL so you can book your Dragon Inn Crickhowell reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dragon Inn Crickhowell Hotel Crickhowell
- Dragon Inn Crickhowell Wales