“Lovely Sunday lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
South Wales, UK
“Lovely Sunday lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This pub was recently taken over by a new management team and the menu has changed completely. While I found the food on the previous menu far too rich and salty, the one dish I've tried from this one was near perfect.

I had the parsnip and goat's cheese bake, and while there were a few too many parsnips for my liking (I know, I know), it was otherwise delicious. There were also six/seven different vegetables (sorry - it was a week ago, and the memory ain't what it was), all beautifully cooked. My husband had the lamb, and was also very happy with that.

It's back on The List! What list? The Abergavenny/Crickhowell/Usk/Pontypool Best Sunday Lunches List of course!

Highly recommended.

Oh - and the services was excellent, too.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Crickhowell, United Kingdom
“Good food but not the most welcoming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We've tried this place a couple of times as it has a good reputation locally. On both occasions we have visited early evening (6ish). Whilst the food is good, we found the two men that run the pub unwelcoming.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
B'ham
“Great pub food and accommodation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Really good food and accommodation, great breakfasts. Great for a drink, meal or weekend away. Rooms have nice character and were very clean. Only word of caution when you leave the carpark it's very dangerous as you can't see down the road where cars could be approaching

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
“Best pub food ever by Chris Walsh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We called into this pub in our quest for somewhere good to eat and I was bowled over by the quality of the food. I had 'catch of the day' and thrice cooked chips. The batter was perfect and the fish steamed as I ate it. The thrice cooked cips were perfect, a crispy golden brown that stayed crunchy even when vinigered unlike the soggy chips in almost every other pub I've eaten since the invention of the accursed oven chip. The beer was great and the service was friendly and unintrusive. This is the best pub I've ever been to, it's obvious that the chef wants to please people with his creations. I've been back five times now and had something different every time. Amazing, a real find that thrilled me. Cheap too! - Chris Walsh

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newport, United Kingdom
“Third time not lucky....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Went to the Bell to eat last Saturday evening, the third time we'd been. Having had the triple cooked chips and the lovely steaks on the previous two occasions, I was expecting more of the same. Everything went well and we got our drinks and were seated quickly. For starters we had the soup of the day (cream of tomato), the fish cake and the bread and olives. The soup was very thick and a little granular in texture & the fish cake was not evenly heated and came with sweet chilli sauce instead of the sauce on the menu with no mention or apology.

We were most disappointed with the steaks. We ordered three 8oz rumps, 2 medium and one medium to well done. The steaks arrived and were completely different sizes, one was a tiny finger shaped steak whilst the other two were significantly larger! And the triple cooked chips just didn't seem to be the same, they didn't have the mild taste of garlic and weren't as chunky or deliciously crispy as we had had on our previous visits. We had to chase up the pepper sauce that
we had ordered as it didn't come out at the same time as the steaks.

There were two waitresses on duty, one of whom looked like she would really rather not be there and made me feel rather uncomfortable, never smiling and having a dead pan face all the time.

When the bill was paid, the man at the bar asked whether we had enjoyed our meal and when it was mentioned that we had been a couple of time previously and that we hadn't enjoyed it as much this time, nothing was said in way of apology and no reduction was offered to the bill!

I would have had mo hesitation in recommending this pub to friends but now I would not based on our most recent visit. I'm wondering whether the chef was off or has changed? Unfortunately, I think we will be looking for another local eatery....

• Visited August 2012