“loved it.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lion Hotel

Lion Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Builth Wells
Lion Hotel
You added Lion Hotel to your Saves list
2 Broad Street, Builth Wells, Wales   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Builth Wells
Melbourne, Australia
“loved it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We hadf dinner at the Lion Hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it. The lounge area for pre-dinner drinks was elegant. The staff seemed to be of the honest, hard-working variety, a welcome change from slick and corporate. The meal was lovely. Would go back again. It was very welcoming.

Room Tip: Make the time to enjoy a drink in the lounge area.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Benllech, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

A hotel that has jumped off the plastic corporate bandwagon for the better. Good old-fashioned friendliness & character which leads to complete relaxation...one of those rare places where you completely chill out and feel at home. Don't stay if you're a snob you won't like it. The food is great - standard pub type menu but cooked beautifully and no half-measures...you won't go hungry.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed in room 19 apart from the TV not working I had an amazing time, the people are lovely, real honest hardworking, very welcoming, the place is spotless, believe me I looked everywhere! And the food is home made old fashioned enormous portions!
Helpful, peaceful and so relaxing,
The longe was super comfy and the bed gave me the best nights sleep I have had outside my own home.
I travel a lot for work and I would most certainly come here again and again!
What a lovely surprise!

If you want good old fashion company, food and plenty of relaxation here is the place to go!
Looking forward to returning!

• Stayed July 2013
Tenby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Great friendly and efficient staff even at the busiest time of the year. Ate there twice in two days as we enjoyed it so much the first time. It was royal welsh show week and they were extremely busy but they still had time for everyone and made us feel most welcome. Will definitely be visiting again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Bunch of gossiping morons drunks and fools avoid .nice hotel shame about the owners and clientel .if you are female the drunken farmer in the bar makes rude sexual remarks and the far owner falls asleep behind the bar

• Stayed May 2013
Torquay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is not really a review of the Lion Hotel. Yes we ate there recently and it was ok but the problem is Builth Wells. Is there a Tourist Board in Wales? Is there a local council in Builth Wells? Is anybody listening out there? This town is dire. We visited for a show at the Royal Welsh Showgrounds. They have a number of such shows a year so we are not talking about a place that never sees a punter. We decided to walk into town from our B&B and find somewhere for a drink and a meal. Well that was the first problem. There is a pub. I think it is called the Lamb. We walked in and straight out. It looked grimy and uninviting. The "menu" was awful. Further along there was an curry house which we thought we may have to eat in once we saw the kebab joint. On our way back down the high street, however, we saw a place advertising home cooking. We went in. It was dark and cold and had a few drinkers at the bar. We asked for a menu. "No" we were told "we no longer serve food."!! But then we found the Lion. Now it is true that the pub and it's clientle is unusual to say the least. The only wine they have is in 187ml bottles. But they did offer a red or a white!! The menu is not extensive and ominously it says that when shows are on it will take more time. But there was a vegartaian alternative. We ordered and thought we would eat in the pub but no. We were invited to the dining room. And what a fantastic place it is. A stunning oak panelled Victorian room. Quite spectacular. The service was attentive and helpful. The food was edible. I had lamb chops which were tough beyond measure but the gravy was made by someone who knows how to cook. The veggie alternative was tasty and the side dishes were good. Credit where credit is due. The table and room were spotlessly clean but the window that we sat alongside had a fame not painted in many a long year and glass that could do with at least a clean. No The Lion saved the day. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad. It is streets ahead of the rest of this town. Please can someone give the town governors of BW a kick up the........?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Upminster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I booked 4 rooms at this hotel 1 year in advance (july 2012) for a stay in July 2013. I needed to amend my booking last week but was astounded when I gave my reference number and was told that the hotel cancelled my booking on may 31st! I had no phone call or email from the hotel whatsoever. What a terrible thing to do, 8 people could have turned up and had nowhere to stay! Would not have been impressed after a 6 hour drive! Very bad management from this hotel, definitely one to avoid! I must say that the booking agents were great and not at fault, the hotel should not advertise rooms available and take your booking then cancel when they feel like it without informing you. Please beware if you have booked, and check that you actually have a room!

Room Tip: Make sure you actually get a room!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!