“Avoid” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Lion Hotel

Lion Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Builth Wells
Lion Hotel
You added Lion Hotel to your Saves list
2 Broad Street, Builth Wells, Wales   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Builth Wells
Upminster, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I booked 4 rooms at this hotel 1 year in advance (july 2012) for a stay in July 2013. I needed to amend my booking last week but was astounded when I gave my reference number and was told that the hotel cancelled my booking on may 31st! I had no phone call or email from the hotel whatsoever. What a terrible thing to do, 8 people could have turned up and had nowhere to stay! Would not have been impressed after a 6 hour drive! Very bad management from this hotel, definitely one to avoid! I must say that the booking agents were great and not at fault, the hotel should not advertise rooms available and take your booking then cancel when they feel like it without informing you. Please beware if you have booked, and check that you actually have a room!

Room Tip: Make sure you actually get a room!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

9 Golfers stayed here this week. Good base for the area. Rooms well appointed. Showers best ever, they need courage, turn full on and brace yourself. Breakfast very good, just ask. Hearty evening meal, with a set starter, choice of three mains, choice of four puddings. Vegetarian option. Bar very quiet. Good pub over the road with Sky, pool and darts with real ale. Hotel just needs more customers.

Stayed May 2013
Kendal, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

It was certainly quiet when I visited but this did not distract from very attentive service and some tasty food. The environment inside is of a very high standard and, although eating alone, enjoyed my surroundings.

The soup was hearty and the main course was goo home cooked food. I would certainly eat here again if the opportunity arises.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

I revisited this odd place thinking my last bad experience was a one off .
NO it was just as bad again with the fowl mouthed woman that works there and the same smelly old drunk rude farmers were still there gossiping about everyone and now I realise this place in the hands it's in will never move forward so they are best try and make a living off the people they have .
Even tho the owners are very welcoming the little John Inman one needs to distance himself from a few when customers are about .

Anyway I will never ever return as long as I live or these people own it anyhow .

• Stayed September 2012
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We were attending a wedding in Builth wells Saturday 8th September and booked a room at The Lion Hotel. Our room was great, it had a lounge with a settee, chair, coffee table and television (there is only one room which has a lounge) we didn't know we were having this room so we were very pleased. I don't know if they have ever heard of "slim line" televisions, but the television in our room needed updating, but on saying that it did work, and the room was spotless. We had a meal at their restaurant which was great and very good value. The owner and his son were very friendly and "laid back". We would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for the room that has a lounge - but please not when we return as we would like this room again...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Ate here with friends whilst on a cycling holiday in wales. The pub we'd been recommended to eat wasn't doing food the night we were there so this was one of the other places they recommended. The food was excellent and the specials were extremely good value but the room we ate in was very dated and had no windows; only a roof light and absolutely no atmosphere whatsoever. It wa s a bit gloomy. The lounge at the front looked quite comfortable but the place is a bit of a throwback. Also they had no decent beer on so, as soon as we'd eaten, we returned to the original pub for the rest of the evening.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Excellent, friendly hotel. Rooms are clean, spacious and affordable. Everyone will enjoy a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!