“Cae Beris wasted my time and let me down” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Garth Road, Builth Wells LD2 3NP, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Builth Wells
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Cae Beris wasted my time and let me down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I rang the Caer Beris Manor Hotel to make sure they had rooms available when I wanted them prior to purchasing a Living Social Deal they had advertised.

The member of staff on reception said the dates I wanted were not available and together we agreed alternate dates which would be convenient for the hotel and me. He suggested I rang him back later that evening to confirm. I checked the dates with my partner, rang the hotel back and spoke to the same member of staff. This time he assured me the dates were available and I could choose any room I wanted as all were available. He asked me to ring back after 9.30 that evening as he was busy at that moment.

I rang at 9.45 to be told by another person (someone who was working on the bar at that time) that the reception was closed and the person I had spoken to had gone home. This person checked and confirmed I could book a room for the same dates but only the best rooms were available so I would have to pay an extra charge. I agreed as he said room 5 and 6 pink and blue four poster rooms, were available and I could have either one. He suggested I rang the next morning after 8 a.m. as the receptionist would be back on duty again, assuring me that no rooms would be booked overnight and I could still have the room I wanted.

I rang at 8.45 the next morning to be told by the receptionist I spoke to originally that the two four poster room 5 and 6 were not available on those dates and the only room I could have (still having to pay the surcharge for a better room) was the family room, room 1. This room on their website appeared to have no character at all and was very clinical and similar to a dormitory as it had several beds in it.

I said I didn't want that room and had been promised room 4 or 5. He refused saying they weren't available even after my repeating that I was told the night before by him and the other member of staff they were.

I said I didn't want that room and put the phone down as he was not prepared to offer me any other room than the family room. This was ridiculous for two people. I was happy to pay extra for a best room and the family room was totally unsuitable for my taste.

I was very upset that the hotel staff had wasted my time and money having to phone them three times and I felt "lied to" which is the only words I can use to describe what I felt had gone on.

I was looking forward to visiting this hotel and am thoroughly disappointed in the way they handled my attempt at booking. I was even willing to book direct with them if they wished to make it easier for them rather than going through the Living Social deal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
caerberis, Owner at Caer Beris Manor Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
With regard to your review which was submitted without even staying at the hotel, I can make these comments. The Living Social deal clearly states that it is not available at weekends which clearly upset you when this was pointed out as it was a Friday and Saturday that you wanted to book. We gave you other suggestions for dates and rooms. We do not have a room 4 and anybody looking at our website will see that the family room has one double and two single beds, not 'several beds in it'. Reception staff were n the process of moving our bedroom allocation around in order to give you the exact room you wanted but, as you say, you put the phone down on him.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
cardiff
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Very bad experience,the staff were rude and all appeared in bad moods and seemed not to like geusts very much,the room had been cleaned very well but general condition of the room was very poor,stained carpets dirty net curtains ,feeling of dirtiness.the grounds and outside are delightful,but the wecome and interior leave you feeling down.needless to say I will not be recommending the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
caerberis, Owner at Caer Beris Manor Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I am most concerned that you felt my staff did not appear friendly. We always take great pride in being hospitable and professional. This is almost always commented upon very positively by most Tripadvisor users. We have found a stain on one of the bedroom carpets and assume this must be the room you stayed in. We are not sure what a previous guest has spilt on it but we are taking steps to try and remove it as the carpet itself is quite new. We are very pleased you enjoyed the grounds, they are very lovely in spring.
Lancs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel was booked for me as I was attending a meeting there and would be staying overnight.
What an excellent find - fantastic room - excellent views - excellent food.
The staff were so helpful and attentive.
Lovely grounds to walk in.

Now looking at booking for a leisure weekend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for taking the trouble to leave your review. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay so much. We are looking forward to welcoming you back. Hopefully for pleasure this time and not work!
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a lovely country house hotel set in its own extensive grounds. On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who gave us a guided tour. The room was nice with a 4 poster bed but a change of wallpaper would have made the room look bigger and less dated. The bar menu contained all the usual bar food options and was nicely presented in the conservatory by friendly efficient staff. The dog was made welcome in all parts of the hotel, except the restaurant,including the very comfortable lounge area. All the staff were very friendly and accommodating. If visiting the Welsh showground this hotel is very handy and I would recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review and are very pleased tou enjoyed yourselves with us.With all our grounds it's a great place to bring your pet if you don't want to leave them behind. I am sure you understand why we do not allow dogs into the restaurant and the main part of the conservatory. this is for the convenience of our other guests. I will pass on to the staff your comments on how friendly they were.
Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Friends of ours arranged a weekend at the Caer Beris Manor for a wedding gift.

We have a well behaved Collie who usually accompanies us on holiday so the fact that this is a dog friendly establishment is the main reason that the manor was booked for us.

First impressions going down the drive are of a beautiful and well maintained manor house with lush green lawns.

The inside is a tad dated, although well maintained.

We were welcomed at the reception desk and given instructions on how to get to our suite, overall the person manning the desk was efficient and pleasant to deal with.

The suite itself was clean and well presented, although the temperature on the top floor and in the suite was stiflingly hot. A lot of elderly people were at the manor so perhaps this was for their benefit, no matter we soon had all of the radiators turned off and a couple of windows open so this really was a minor quibble.

The window views from the suite were of the gardens leading down to the river, quite beautiful really, we could not have asked for more.

For our first evening meal we had been booked in for the 7 course taster meal, each course was prepared by a chef who knew what they were doing. The beef and desserts were especially mouth wateringly good!

Our waiter was a lovely gentleman called Craig who quickly learnt our dogs name and produced a special bowl of water for her, we were fortunate to have him serve all of our meals throughout the weekend as he was fantastic.

The breakfasts were a tad disappointing compared to the evening meals, nothing was wrong with them it's just that they lacked the wow factor and presentation of the main evening menu.

Overall our stay was very pleasant, all of the members of staff made an effort to make us and Jess (the dog) feel welcome, the grounds are well maintained and a pleasure to walk through.

The food in the evening is close to a 5 Star establishment and the hotel is well looked after.

If you are an animal lover or simply do not mind seeing the odd well behaved dog at a hotel then I'd highly recommend Caer Beris.

If on the other hand you are not an animal person, as some of the negative reviewers obviously are then you may wish to book lodgings elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your review and are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Although we have renewed all of the furniture in the public rooms in the last 12 months, we chose it to be in keeping with the grade 2 listed manor house that we are. Our chef does take a great pride in his food and this does show with the comments that guests make, including yourselves, about how much it is appreciated. As you say, there is an area in the bar/conservatory where your pet is welcome to join you as they are not allowed in the restaurant or the main part of the conservatory. We hopr to have the chance to welcome you back to Caer Beris soon.
worcester uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed here for one night booked via a groupon deal for the 7 course taster menu. The food was far better than we expected, a lovely well balanced and interesting dinner, I would certainly recommend this to others. The breakfast was also extensive and delicious, my compliments to all chefs involved. The grounds are lovely, well maintained, with pretty walks beside the river, again I would recommend. The rooms however do need a bit of an update and facelift. I saw 4 'feature' rooms, some of which had 4 poster beds others were described as feature rooms, at a £20 supplement, where the feature was the view! A river! I would go again, I did enjoy our stay, but I would go for the restaurant facility and surrounding countryside, not the bedrooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We visited this hotel last year in May and stayed just one night but we wished we had
booked a longer stay as we really enjoyed everything about this hotel, especially the
beautiful gardens and the walk along the riverside. We had a lovely large room although the
bathroom was in need of updating but it didn't detract from the overall ambiance. The service
from the staff was great and nothing was too much trouble. We didn't have any tea or coffee making facilities in the room which would have been nice but the staff were always on hand to provide it when requested. Generally a lovely place which we would recommend.

Room Tip: All the rooms have lovely views as the hotel is situated at the end of a long drive in a very peace...