“Check prices and book early, if at all.” 1 of 5 stars

You added Glen Usk Hotel to your Saves list
Glen Usk Hotel
South Crescent, Llandrindod Wells LD1 5DH, Wales   |
seychelles
“Check prices and book early, if at all.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Long journey with young kids, so looked on here beforehand and chose this place.

Arrived to find the foyer packed with oldies, waiting for...? Dinner, as it happens. Several coach parties booked in for hourly dinners (2 lots at 6, 2 at 7, 2 at 8) but only 3 (?) staff serving. So I approached a very flustered man, who directed me to an equally flustered woman. No, no family rooms tonight. When I said we'd take a double or twin with space for a lilo and our own cot, she did say she could squeeze us in.

I have to say, at this poinjt, that I actually had a fair degree of sympathy for the staff, who were clearly struggling with the mass of customers.

So, to the crux - this website did and still does offer twin rooms at £39.50 a room. I was asked for £35 per person. Quite a mark up, I should say. Needless to say, I declined, packed the kids back into the car and sta in the park with my laptop, at 7.30pm, trying to find an alternative.

It is very close, but to be fair, I won't mention it here. Check my other reviews.
(Absolutely fantastic. Ssshhhh!)

Room Tip: Don't know.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Gemma A, Manager at Glen Usk Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
I am really sorry to hear that you were able to stay at the hotel. Our family rooms do get booked up very quickly. The rate on the Internet would have been for a specific type of room, which were sold prior to your arrival. We only had a few remaining rooms left to sell that evening. I am sorry that the price did not match your budget at the time. As you witnessed the hotel is very popular as we offer excellent service, good food and value for money. I can only apologise that you did not receive our usual warm welcome. We really do value your custom and we hope that you will book with us in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Gateshead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Good staff and exellent food. Hotel needs refurbishing and the services of a handyman for the annoying little niggles. Still value for money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Gemma A, Manager at Glen Usk Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for you positive comments regarding the hospitality you experienced from the staff and food quality. The hotel aims to offer quality accommodation and I can only apologise of the décor did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We really do value your custom and we will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.
Leicester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I stay at the Glen Usk, because I choose to. I am always made welcome by the staff, I stay here 5/6 times year. Yes, the rooms have a feeling of 70's quaintness about them, yes it is a bit quirky, but I call that character.

Sitting on the front veranda with a bottle of wine, letting the world go by, is idilic. If you want modern luxury, stay over the road at the Metropole. Personally, i'd rather have dinner, bed and breakfast, with wine, for the same price as B&B over the road.

The rooms are clean and comfortable. Always a good stock of tea and coffee in the room. Personally, if the hotel added free wifi, that would clinch it for me! BTW, i'll be back there in October, I stayed there this week. Raymond the new manager is determined to improve things and keep the hotel open all year round.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Gemma A, Owner at Glen Usk Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for your review and excellent comments about the hotel and the friendliness of the staff. I would have to agree that the veranda is a very pleasant spot overlooking the well groomed square. WI-FI has now been added to the hotel in the lounge / bar and restaurant. Thank you for your kind words regarding our new Manager and I will be sure to pass on this comments. We really do value your custom and Raymond we look forward to welcoming you on your return visit in October.
Wicklow, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

The only thing to do with this place is lock the doors and walk away. I don't think there's enough money in the world to renovate this place. The room was 70's fully carpeted incl bathroom. Black mould all over bathroom, shower was a cold trickle with filthy shower curtain. Wallpaper hanging off walls and ceiling. Breakfast was ok, dinner awful. I doubt there is a chef in the place, I'd say the owner is cooking. When I asked the waiter (who was hoovering our room as we arrived and also served us in the bar) what would she recommend, she said she wouldn't eat here!!! Enough said. Don't even think about staying in the Glen Usk it's truly awful

• Stayed July 2012
Gemma A, Manager at Glen Usk Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write review. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that the décor did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Your comments regarding the food is surprising as our chef has been with us for many years and the feed back is usually very positive, but I am please to read that you enjoyed our breakfast. Our employees are trained in all departments to offer task variation and job satisfaction, and this maybe the reason why you would have seen the same person in housekeeping, as well as in the restaurant. Had you complained to the Manager at the time of your visit I am confident that we would have been able to rectify your issues during your stay. Thank you for your feed back and we take on board your comments, and hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Glen Usk, supporting Scotland in the British Isles Bowling Championships, that were taking place.

Having checked Trip Advisor prior to going, I wasn't holding out much hope.
The hotel looked nice from the outside and overlooked the park. Once inside the hotel, It was clear why the hotel hasn't had the best reviews. In need of a make over is an understaitment - the hotel was very tired, run down and grubby. My room was spacious with view nice views the front however the views made up for the room which wasn't as nice. A worn out pink carpet floored the whole area including the bathroom. A very green mouldy area greeted me at the side of the bath - disgusting. The walls were scuffed and headboards were old.
Just as well I was mainly using the room to sleep - I couldn't wait to get out the room.

Breakfast however was nice. Lots to choose from including a lovely cooked breakfast, made to order. The older waiter guy wasn't the most friendliest Welsh person I had met!! Grumpy, curt and seemed to favour the other Welsh guests who were also staying! We were left waiting a number of times while he seen to the other guests even though were waiting longer!

The night security guard, however was friendly and went out his way when we asked for a drink at the bar (which was closed later on one night). He kindly opened the bar and served us without a fuss and made us very welcome. He even offered to put the TV on for us.

I doubt I will be back in Llandrindod Wells, however I would choose the Metropole (more expensive but a beautiful hotel with spa facilities etc) if I was ever to return.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the park
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Manager at Glen Usk Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for your review regarding the excellent food and hospitality of the hotel staff. The hotel is undergoing a refurbishment program to replace some of the carpets that have worn or have discoloured, similarly the headboards. Your feed back is improtant to us and we are genuinely very sorry that your expectations were not met on this occassion regarding the decor.
Ghent, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Nice antique hotel, with old charming room with a bath! Clean and nice view on the park.
Good breakfast, cooked on demand.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I've stayed in the Metropole which was way too expensive, I've stayed in the Commodore which is truly awful and I've chosen the Glen Usk as the best on the block !! If you look at the map they are all in the same area in fact facing each other.
This is an old Spa town and all the Hotels have seen better days. The Commodore is really dreadful with the top floors uninhabited, broken windows totally dilapidated dont go there.
The Glen Usk is used by Coach Holiday companies so must tick the boxes. It's old fashioned but the accomodation is very interesting. It's good value for money. Breakfast is good and staff are great.Look at the cost and deide....... it's worth it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Glen Usk Hotel? Share your experiences!