“Disaster!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Spa Road, Llandrindod Wells LD1 5ER, Wales   |
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Disaster!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We checked in after waiting around in reception for over 15 minutes, the young lady that eventually appeared gave us the 2 sets of room keys and said I think your rooms are on the second floor, and disappeared again. The room was nothing like the images - don't be fooled, the plumbing was something else, all the drains were re-digested, gurgled and spluttered back up the WC.

The breakfast experience was dire, you couldn't tell who was staff or visitors. There were dogs allowed to roam freely. The full welsh was served on cold plates that were very greasy and the toast never appeared. We all left never to return.

At the very least a front of house person is needed to welcome guests, name badges for staff, and perhaps some investment in customer care training for all.

If as we read the Hotel is in the process of a make over they should concentrate on letting the refurbished rooms and not let the rest until they are bought up to standard, perhaps the staff can will be able to cope.

This was a very disappointing experience to both us and our overseas visiting relatives.

Room Tip: Do not book a visit to this hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Andrea_Murdock, General Manager at Hotel Commodore, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guest

I am very surprised to see your review appear as you mentioned nothing to us when you checked out the following morning and I would also like to add that I can also confirm the pictures on our website are exactly as they are in the rooms that we have refurbished.

We have in total we have now complete 22 rooms in since we have been here in September 2012 a undertaking and investment by anyone's
standard and it is still on going. If you would have asked to see one of our refurbished room we would have been happy to show them to you. Unfortunately we cant put everyone guest in a refurbished room and if is very unfair of you to make such a comment which is just not factually correct.

On the point you make about our staff, it very clear who are staff and who are vistors as our restaurant stall all wear black and white and if your breakfast wasn't satisfactory then again if you would have brought this to your attention we would have been more than happy to rectify this matter, again it is very unfair to write such a bad review without giving the hotel any chance to rectify what would have been a very easy issue as we would have replaced your breakfast upon request and toast is very easy to make, again you needed only to ask one of the staff who would have been more than happy to correct their mistake and make you some fresh toast.

To all the dog owners who have stayed at our hotel they can will confirm that the only dog that is not on a lead is the hotel dog Chester, who is much loved by most of our guests.He is only allowed in the reception area and the bar as are all other dogs. we do ask our hotel guests to keep their dogs lead whilst in the public areas and are not allowed in the restaurant or the ballroom where we do serve food.

This hotel prides itself on being a dog friendly hotel and will always welcome dogs so please if you do not like dos the next time you book hotel please ask the owners what their policy on dogs are that way you can make your choice as to stay rather than damning establishment for welcoming pets.

As far as front of house in concerned our reception is manned from 0730 to 2300 7 days a week so for you to wait 15 minutes is very unusual and you only have to ring the bell if its is unmanned as we are a small team and a family run business and on occasions there maybe another guest that has requested something or has asked something that reception need to attend to..

It is unfortunate that you feel your expectations were not met by the hotel but if only you had told us whilst you were here then perhaps we could have averted your disaster as you so wrote, everything your wrote in your review was very easy to put right - if only you had given us the chance. Please next time you stay in a hotel, tell the owners you are not happy it helps and we are here to make everyone's stay as enjoyable as possible as are other hotel owners and leaving without saying anything then slating us on this website and anonymously is not the way to improve a guests stay....

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Swan Hill, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Fantastic
Pleasant staff, couldn't,t do enough for you
Rooms were clean and beds comfy
Meals were fantastic
As an overseas traveller I would recommend this hotel to anybody as it as good as any I have visited

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
cirencester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. To make matter worse the room cost £149 per night. That is an absolute scandal. The rooms are awful, the bathrooms tatty and the common parts dirty and old. It might be undergoing a 5 year refurbishment plan but the rates do not reflect this. We didn't even consider eating here. Its a run down hotel but charged at super inflated prices. I did initially feel sorry for the owner, who has taken on a huge task, but that feeling wore off quickly, especially when my credit card had been charged before I checked out. I think they knew they better take the money before asking how my stay was. You should also be aware that it adjoins a pub called the log cabin which is noisy. I honestly would not stay there for free.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Leominster, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Our twin room was small & pretty cramped for two people.Main light did not work.Decor needed refurbishing in bathroom. i.e. ceiling, crack & small hole in bathroom sink,no hot water for bath or shower at 8.30am,loose toilet seat. However, beds were comfortable & bed linen clean & fresh. The worse thing though was the shambolic breakfast experience! No " Good morning or welcome greeting from breakfast staff - in fact some of them were pretty surly to say the least ! Staff wandering aimlessly around, failing to clear tables & replenish with clean crockery / cutlery.Customers taking cutlery from other tables as there were no butter knives provided on their own tables. No individual tea pots / hot water pots provided just FLASKS of hot water to make tea - unbelievable !Stewed tea - awful !! Just one 4 slice ( extremely slow ) toaster for the whole room of guests - causing queues at the table with guests waiting for toast. What if there had been a coach party for breakfast? Had to ask staff for butter 3 times as they failed to bring it. Again, saw other customers getting butter from other tables. Your breakfast staff need urgent retraining in the art of multi-tasking & good customer service a.s.a.p. !Was prepared to give you a chance, but all this is just too much & we wont be returning any time soon !

Room Tip: get one that has been refurbished
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bagshot, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on business, unfortunately this coincided with the Royal Welsh Show. The room rate was £150 per night which was no doubt inflated due to the show, never the less, I had high expectations for this amount of money.

On arrival the hotel owner was quite accomodating and found me a double room instead of a twin but then began to apologise for the tatty state of the room claiming it had not been refurbished. To be honest I have stayed in better hostels as a traveller in my younger years. I decided not to say anything as they were clearly very busy and to be honest it probably wouldnt have done much good.

I stayed the night which was fine but on entering the breakfast room I was faced with the breakfast buffet which consisted of 4 boxes of half eaten cereal (the large types you buy at home, not the individual packs) and some tinned fruit. All the tables were cluttered with dirty crockery.

I decided I would need to speak to the owner who at this point decided to argue the point with me, claiming the breakfast was acceptable and she had been in the corporate world herself and this was normal. Not wanting a stand up arguement I left. On checking out the lady gave me a free drink off my bill.

Would not recommend this hotel, and certainly do not complain unless you want an arguement!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My Dad booked The Hotel Commodore for me, my sisters and families to stay for a weekend in June, so i did not really know what to expect. But i have to say it was fantastic Hotel, really friendly, helpful staff, great food and musical instruments to entertain the kids and Adults! The bedrooms and ensuite were very spacious, clean and nicely decorated. It was a great weekend and We will all be down to stay again but bringing more of us!
Thankyou Nikki Carvalho

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Aberaeron Cymru
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here for three nights while on business. This is a down to earth hotel with a big heart. If you are looking for corporate styling then this is not for you ,but if you want somewhere individual , where you are welcomed and taken care of then this will be your home from home. It is very much a work in progress and it wont be to everyone's taste ( we had a few ill fitting doors and dodgy plumbing experiences) but the place is slowly coming together as a result of the love and hard work by the superb staff.. who even posted my forgotten pyjama bottoms home to me. The only other place I have received that sort of service ... Claridges of course!.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Commodore? Share your experiences!