“Wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Temple Street, Llandrindod Wells LD1 5DY, Wales   |
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed for one night on the 27th of oct having booked the £99 deal inc dinner via Travelzoo. Reception staff were pleasant, polite and helpfuil . We had requested an early check in , the room was ready on arrival and the checking in process was quick and hassle free. We got the Wye room, which is a very large , handsome room complete with a large bathroom and everything that you could possibly need . Cleanliness is a real sticking point with me , i found the room to be newly refurbished and spotlessly clean. The decor was tasteful and very comfortable, i couldnt have asked for anything more. The dinner and breakfast were excellent and we were amazed by the efficienct and professional service of the resturant staff. I have to say the service we received from this hotel right from booking, to check-in, during the stay including dining experience was very professional and impressive. Although we didnt have a drink in the bar , I did have a look around. The bar area has been refurbished to a high standard and has a very modern and relaxed feel. It has been a delightful stay which exceeded our expectations . I would like to stay here again and recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Choose the Wye suite, its large, newly refurbished , huge bathroom, with everything u could want!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Shropshire GIrl, I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and in particular the Wye room. The four poster bed was made locally in Herefordshire by the four poster bed company and is I think splendid. I hope that we will be able to stay again soon. The £99 offer runs on our web site right through until March so why not make a night of it and bring some friends. Kind regards Justin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed at this venue for a weekend in September as I have done for the past few years. I arrive with a large party of Square Dancers and have a brilliant time. This is a comfortable Victorian Hotel with lots of character and excellent staff. It is nice to notice that there does not appear to be a large staff turnround and they are always there to help with any problems or queries etc. The bedrooms that I have been allocated have always been comfortable and adequately furnished but with one slight problem which prompted me to give a score of 4 in my review, the sound of bathrooms and showers etc above being used are quite noisy. Having said that the rest cannot be faulted. The Restaurant serves a good selection of meals and the service is pretty quick (Justin, what happened to Maggie Littlewood?). Spencer’s Bar & Brasserie is also a nice place to enjoy a meal and watch the world go by outside. There is adequate car parking and if you go on to the Hotel website there is a wealth of information on there on what the Hotel has to offer and also events and activities going on locally. As I stated before, except for the problem listed previously I would recommend this Hotel as an excellent place to stay if in the area.

Room Tip: The Higher the room, the better!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Julian P. It is always a pleasure to welcome the Stourbridge Square Dancers back to the hotel and I hope we shall be welcoming you back for many years. Maggie is very well and was in the hotel only last weekend with some friends. She still works locally and I know has her hands full with her 4 grandchildren. Kind Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner
Nristol, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Just returned from a one-night special deal costing £99 for a double room with a six-course tasting meal, glass of champagne and breakfast. This was quite amazing value for money. The hotel itself is right in the centre of town, with lots of free parking. Our room was very well appointed. It appeared to have been newly refurbished with a large comfortable bed, very good quality bedlinen, powerful hairdryer, everything you need. The bathroom was also excellent - large, decent lighting and had a heated tiled floor - bliss.

The six course meal was terrific. The chef uses seasonal local ingredients and the menu was innovative without being too challenging. Presentation was first-class. We have eaten in several Michelin starred restaurants and not eaten so well as at the Metropole. The wine list was reasonable and had some interesting selections. Staff were charming and very attentive.

The spa area also is lovely - appears to be almost brand new.

On the downside, some parts of this hotel still need refurbishing. The bedrooms and dining room are very nicely decorated but the lounge, corridors and reception areas are in need of a makeover along the same lines. No doubt this will be forthcoming in time. The hotel is family owned so it makes a great change not to be in yet another bland chain hotel.

Overall a really pleasant experience and we are looking to return next year to spend longer in this beautiful part of Wales.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jacksgrandma, Thank you for your kind review following your stay with us. I am pleased that you noticed all the work done in the Spa, Bars, bedrooms etc. The foyer is certainly an area that we have plans for in due course. In a large hotel such as The Metropole we do have to work hard to keep on top of everything. Unlike chain hotels we do not have large budgets for refurbishment but I certainly try to keep on top of all the maintenance and redecoration. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again soon. Regards Justin Baird-Murray, Owner.
Walsall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stayed with Travelzoo voucher £99. Arrived very early, 12 30pm, immediately allocated a beautiful room, four poster bed, fantastic. The 6 course taster menu was really lovely and a great opportunity to try different foods, superb, plus of course, the glass of champagne. The hotel is very large and so comfortable, tasteful decor. And also not forgetting the staff who were all first class. Thank you for a lovely break

Room Tip: Our room was on the road overlooking a lovely little park, very nice !
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Gill, thank you for your kind review and complimentary comments about the staff. I am fortunate to have an excellent team of people here at the hotel who do a fantastic job. Thoughtful comments such as yours are part of the reason they continue to do so. Thank you. Regards Justin Baird-Murray, owner.
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

staff were welcoming, room was lovely, leisure facilities were relaxing - we stayed here with a voucher from travelzoo which for £99.00 also gave us a 6 course taster menu with a glass of champagne - the food was lovely! - overall i felt this was excellent value - couldn't fault this hotel

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Lesley, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon. Regards Justin Baird-Murray, Owner.
Wirral, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed here for the first time with a large group of motorcyclists. Absolutely faultless service - it is so nice to see there are family owned hotels that have managed to keep up with the big brands! The contrasting areas/facilities of traditional/original and contemporary/modern contrasts work well and all had great atmosphere. The conference facilities are comprehensive, modern and well-equipped.
Our party had a pre-set dinner menu which was promptly served, hot and sufficient, and was appropriate for the size of group. We did not have chance to sample the a la carte. Breakfast for groups was all self-service selection but the layout did cause queuing of 10-15 persons, which did give the feel of a canteen. There were no alternatives readily offered; I am sure, if asked, the restaurant could satisfy reasonable requests - but this is something I would expect at a **** establishment like this, particularly where everything else is done so well.
I was in a small twin room which had everything needed, that was well maintained and immaculately clean.
It was a great shame that we did not have time to try the gym facilities, as those that did said they are first-class.
If I have opportunity to visit again I would definitely try to arrive early to make use of all the hotel's facilities.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Dumbybumby, always good to hear from one of our conference delegates and I am pleased to read that you had a good stay with us. The restaurant staff will always be happy to assist guest at breakfast and as I have mentioned in an earlier review I will be reassessing our whole breakfast procedure. Thank you for you comments and I hope we shall be welcoming you back to the hotel again soon. Regards Justin Baird-Murray Owner.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed here for one night while discovering the area. What a beautiful hotel - even though it is a bright shade of green render. Wonderful welcoming staff on reception. Room a true delight (Rm 102), so clean.....shower wonderful. Dinner was 'The Taste of Wales 6 course Taster Menu'; compliments to the Chef and all the kitchen staff. All the courses were imaginative and tastes were outstanding. Great to see they source their ingredients from around the local area when they can - it certainly must help with the quality of the meat and veg. Breakfast was great, lots of choice and the best pastries every - so moist; and the cooked breakfast wonderful. All in all the best hotel I have stayed in for a long long time. Will certainly be going back. The owners must be very proud of what they have achieved here. Well done and long may it continue. Didn't have time to visit the Spa so can't comment on it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valerie, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, you must return soon and make use of the Spa... I should add that we have not made enough fuss of the fact that all the beetroot used in the soup on the six course taster menu is actually grown in our own garden. I hope we shall be welcoming you back again soon. Regards Justin Baird-Murray, Owner

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!