“Coach Party Special” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Temple Street, Llandrindod Wells LD1 5DY, Wales   |
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Coach Party Special”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Very difficult to see how this hotel maintains a 4 start rating. The rooms are dated and offer very little of what you'd expect in a hotel of this grade. This is the second time I've stayed at the hotel and only do so on business. The hotel seems popular with coach parties, resulting in the usual battle at breakfast, which must be the worst in Wales. Tables proudly display a card promoting local produce, which might well be fresh and good quality when it arrives, but once the kitchen staff get their hands on it, it ends up ready to be displayed on Kitchen Nightmares and completely inedible. To counteract this culinary murder scene I ordered (At an additional £3, making breakfast £15) scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, something even my teenage daughter can cook to perfection. However, it arrived as some mess of poached salmon flakes and watery egg slop, neither me or my colleagues had seen anything like it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. In the letter I leave in the bedroom and in the bedroom information folder I do quite clearly ask that guests come and see me or one of my duty managers if there is any problem during their stay. I stress that there is no reason for confrontation simply a genuine desire to react quickly to an issue so we can make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

Sadly because of the anonymous nature of your feedback I cannot comment on your personal experience as I do not have the details of your stay however if you wish to contact me privately I would be more than happy to discuss your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

A group of friends stayed here and it was excellent..the meals were spendid, huge selection at breakfast and 3 course dinners. The rooms were comfortable and they changed our room as the first one didn't have a bath.We were given a lovely room on the 3rd floor, only spoilt by noise from staff rooms above at night. The staff were very good, mostly foriegn..our only complaint was the beer!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
TheMetropoleHotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and especially enjoyed the food. During the upgrade of the bedrooms I removed some baths and installed walkin showers as we do get requests for this, however only about 15 rooms are shower only. I am pleased we were able to move you to a room which suited you better. Although your review is anonymous I have looked at our records and have worked out that you must have been moved from 100 to room 309 which is indeed below a room occupied by one of my staff. I shall have a quiet word and thank you for being so understanding. Our draught beers are from Welsh breweries and are generally well received, I am sorry you did not like them. I hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Justin Baird-Murray - Proprietor/Managing Director
North Wales
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Staying on the fourth floor, I found that the stairs don't (seemingly) go that high. Signage is lacking once you're on the relevant floor with the rooms seemingly laid out in a random order. Signage is much the same outside (with the signage in the car park guiding me up a fire escape).
The sign for the shop guides you to some conference rooms. Upon asking if the shop was still open at reception, I was given a somewhat distant look which suggested that the shop doesn't actually exist anymore.
Bar meals are out of the question. As I usually travel alone, I prefer to eat in the bar whilst working on my laptop or reading. This isn't an option at this hotel - you have to be seated, even to eat food from the brasserie.
Bits of food on the floor in the bar area, tables left to be cleared for over an hour (I'd been sitting in the bar for an hour and the cups/plates were there before I arrived).

Overall, really quite unimpressed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
themetropolehotel, Owner at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2011

Justin Baird-Murray. Proprietor/Managing Director
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Stayed there over bank holidays weekend for dinner bed and breakfast for 1 night for alot of money, what can I say, only for we had prepaid and had driven for over 4 hours we were going to leave. Its by no means luxury, quaint and quirky maybe, if that.
Really disappointed and not what I would deem as 4 star. People smoking on non smoking floors, I know it probably sounds daft, but 15inch flat screens stuck to walls making it uncomfortable to watch a bit of TV. Our room was deemed as high end, and it claimed it was recently refurbed, but I am not sure what that means, does that mean new wallpaper. All in all I would not recommend it, its not value for money at all and I would not stay again. We had the dinner that people also raved about, food was good quality but when you have loads of waiters constantly asking for our order. Very annoying

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Sadly because of the anonymous nature of your feedback I cannot comment on your personal experience however if you wish to contact me privately I would be more than happy to discuss your stay.

Justin Baird-Murray. Proprietor/Managing Director
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

On two recent overnight stays, the breakfast, set meals lunchtime and in the evening, and bar snacks all exceeded expectations for a large hotel catering to pretty high numbers.
The WiFi also worked well, but Vodafone service was sketchy in the hotel.
Lack of AirCon meant bedrooms could get hot, unless windows were open.
Nothing was too much trouble for the excellent reception staff, bar service, and management.
I will stay at the Metropole Hotel again.

Room Tip: Room 100 has noise from fan outside when window open.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Ideal stop if on business; this Victorian Hotel has been sympathetically modernised and decorated to a high standard. Beds very comfy and en suite immaculate. Food very good but hardly cordon bleu, however if staying longer there are plenty of other places in the surrounding area that you would probably wish to dine at. The only flaw was the lack of proffered information upon check in and again at breakfast.However the fact that the majority of staff are not of British extraction may hold the key to this!
By far the best hotel in the Mid Wales area and worth a visit!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We had a family room which was tiny, it had a double bed and a bunk bed with just enough room to walk around. The carpet was very dirty and the room was like an oven, and had no ventilation. We were greeted with a view of several skips which was such a shame as the town was beautiful we just couldnt see anything from our room other than the skips and some concrete walls. Breakfast however was lovely and the staff at the hotel were very friendly and ensured that you always received a smile.

The standard of the room let the hotel down and as a result of the heat in the room one of our children spent the whole night being sick.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!