“Friendly, tidy&clean, cosy!” 5 of 5 stars

23 Hamilton Street | Fishguard, Fishguard SA65 9HL, Wales   |
Hildrizhausen, Germany
“Friendly, tidy&clean, cosy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

My 5 days stay in Hamilton Backpackers hostel was a totally positive experience! It's a very cosy place, which is important for me! The landlord is chatty, openminded and very helpful! Eventhough the weather was not always perfect, the atmosphere in this small, clean and tidy hostel conributed to a really nice week in Fishguard. I will recommend it, also the good value for money which is highly important to budget travellers like me... Thanks for that!!!
(included in the price was WIFI, breakfast stuff, a small library of travellers guides, TV lounge)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Fuengirola, Andalucia, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Excellent for backpackers as well as other holidaymakers passing through. Laid back and comfortable . I've stayed on my own and with my wife and found hospitality second to none if your happy to do your own breakfast. Good stopping off place for ferry to Ireland. Not a usual BnB that I was used to but this adds to the character of the place. Hope your doing well Steve. Cheers from HarleyBill.

Room Tip: Good value but don't expect the Ritz!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

hi if yer looking for a comfortable place to stay in fishguard come stay in this hostel .the owner couldnt be any nicer he talk away to ya .the hostel itself its near everywere ,shops ,chipper pubs only stroll away so if yer coming from the ferry why not give this place a try, its only mins from the ferry so its great.i had a very nice stay its just perfect ,

Room Tip: no comments its just perfect .
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Oldbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

My friend & I were looking for a cheap weekend away so after doing some Googling we found this place. We were a bit anxious having read some of the negative reviews on here but were pleasantly surprised. OK so its not the Ritz but then again you aren't paying the rates of the Ritz either.

We had a very pleasant stay here. Steve was really great - he had loads of ideas of what we could do & was incredibly helpful - even to the point of getting bubble bath for my friend who wanted a long soak after a hard walk! We found the hostel to be clean enough (its never going to be spotless with people about but it was an acceptable standard of cleanliness) & it had loads of charm. We had a famaily room to ourselves & we had very pleasant sleep. The hostel is in an excellent location & the town of Fishguard is very scenic!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed here at the start of June for a couple of nights and was pleased. It was well located for access to Fishguard. The beds were very comfy and high quality linned and duvets. The owner was attentive, calling to check a time for arrival and showing us where everything was. As a larger group of boys he left us a polite notice on the stairs reminding us to be quiet when we came in for the enjoyment of the other guests, not offensive and very pleasant. The bathroom was very clean as regularly documented but I suppose the kitchen area was a little tired, but I did not find this a problem.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I'm usually very flexible and easy to please with accommodation, but I think this place does not deserve all the good ratings it seems to get.

Pros: Excellent location for the town center and the Pembrokeshire Coast Path. Very affordable. Simple breakfast included (cereals, toast and jam, tea and coffee). Free wifi but with an inconsistent connection.

Cons: Very, very dirty and messy. The place is in desperate need of a deep cleaning. It feels like a college frat house. Everything I touched felt sticky and greasy. The furniture surfaces in my room were all covered in dust and hair. The bathroom itself was clean. I found the manager to be fairly surly, certainly not noticeably friendly.

Overall, it was cheap and convenient, but I was glad to get out of there and I would not recommend it to anyone over the age of 25.

• Stayed April 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We had a lovely stay at the Hamilton Backpackers. Steve, who runs it, is very friendly, and gave us really helpful suggestions about what to do with our time in Pembrokeshire. The place is informal, with no curfew and free access to a shared kitchen, with breakfast food available to help yourself. We stayed in the double en suite, which made it just like staying in a B&B, but with a kitchen so we could make our own meals, which is really convenient. It's right in the centre of Fishguard, and there's a very cheap car park across the road. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hamilton Backpackers Lodge? Share your experiences!