“fabulous, marvellous..........” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bodelwyddan
Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel
You added Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Bodelwyddan, Denbingshire, North Wales, Bodelwyddan, Rhyl LL18 5YA, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bodelwyddan
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“fabulous, marvellous..........”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Just got back from a week at the castle our second stay this year, we are a group of ten people of mixed ages the eldest being 84 and the youngest 50 this time we were celebrating my cousins 30th wedding anniversay we had our own celebration in the walled garden were we relived the wedding and had cakes and champagne and while my cousin sang we all danced it was truly wonderful. Once more the food was excellant and the boys and girls in the entertainment team are amazing in their shows. Marvellous as simon would say. Overal we had another excellant holiday enjoyed by each and everyone of us, keep up the good work.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GaryJohnson1, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Hello,

How lovely that you chose Bodelwyddan Castle Hotel to celebrate your cousin's 30th wedding anniversary. I am happy to see that you had such a wonderful time.

Thank you for the wonderful comments about the food and our fabulous team, I will be more than happy to feed this back to them all.

We hope to see you again soon!!

Gary Johnson GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Right! Let's start with the good stuff first! This was our 3rd Warner break, and it outshine the previous two by a mile! As far as location is concerned Bodelwyddan is stunning, upon arrival we were greeted by a lovely gent at the entrance who helped me find a parking space as close to the castle as poss (I'm a little disabled) and we were treated so well from that moment on! Every member of staff was so helpful, courteous and friendly, they truly are a credit to themselves and the management team they work with....for that alone we thank you! Our room was excellent, we'd asked for easy access and got it! Lovely decor, huge bed and so peaceful! Onto the food!.....breakfast was great, the quality of the bacon and sausages was wonderful! (I'm aware that might sound silly, but there's nothing worse than fatty bacon and bland bangers!) Our waitresses were lovely, so helpful and quick, the only complaint about breakfastime was the tea and coffee could've wasn't good! Moving onto evening meal!....mixed bag really....one night the food was awful! Curried courgette soup tasted like wallpaper paste, and the fish n chips were not nice! Following night however...brilliant! Food was 1st class! So I can only assume the chef had been replaced from the night before! However, through it all, service was faultless! (Note to management, hang onto your staff..they're incredible!) Now for the not so good! I really think the entertainment package should be reassessed, ok I appreciate all tastes should be catered for, but we paid a considerable amount of money to attend a Motown themed weekend, and while it's true we were entertained by soul singers every night we were also subjected to crass quizzes, rip offs of call my bluff, and a completely incompetent D.J. All of which were presided over by the most loud, obnoxious compere I've ever seen! He truly was awful, from his ill advised ridicule of guests to his inability of getting answers to questions right! He had an incredible knack of stopping the flow of an act by hogging the Mic to tell us all repeatedly how marvellous everything was! We know...that's why we're here! Shurrup and let the act carry on! I'd been talking to a member of staff about him and the response I got was "yes I know...he's not everyone's cup of tea!" Arrgh! Anyway, enough of this bitterness! Just know that apart from the worst compete (or as he likes to be known..entertainment manager!)..Bodelwyddan castle is first class! I would recommend it to one and all! And I will definitely return! Albeit with earplugs for when the compere comes on! Oh, and just one more thing!.....I have to mention the afternoon and evening singer, think his name was Uche Eke....fabulous! World class voice and a nice fella to boot! My wife and our party made sure we saw his every performance! Warners take note...get him on the main stage! Stop the daft games and shove Uche on....you'll fill the place! Thanks!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on to tripadvisor.

I am happy to see that overall you really enjoyed your time with us. We have had so much feedback with regards to the entertainment and how much everyone loved it. I am sorry that it was not completely to your taste.

I will also pass on your comments to our head chef who will be happy to look into this and rectify any problems. Without our guests feedback we cannot act on improving all aspects of your holiday experience, so we thank you again for your leaving your thoughts.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I booked this as a birthday present for my partner. We arrived on the Monday and had a speedy check in and found our room 617 which was in the Williams Village. This is probably the furthest room away from the hall ( I was under the impression when we booked on line, that the standard plus was closer to the complex and I am only grumbling as the other half is recovering from a knee op which is still troubling him and gave him some grief on the walk up and down. I did mention this at reception after viewing the room but were given no alternative. )That being said the room was clean and spacious with a shower over the bath. The bed was two singles pushed together, which to be honest I am not a big fan of, as there is always that big gap of the bed divide between you. Give me a proper double bed any day!!!
Tuesday was the Birthday Boys Big Day, we started off with a quiz in the Mulberry bar, then I had my nails professionally done by Alex while my man went to the first of Pete the chef's, Masterclass cookery lesson where he learnt to make pasta. We met up again and had a go at the rifle shooting which was excellent fun and we both scored a bulls eye.
Then it was on to the next chefs Masterclass again with Pete. This time we were shown how to make risotto and got to sample it too!
After that we went to the Elby bar and had the deluxe tea for two. It was huge with sandwiches, scones and 4 pieces of cake as well as tea for two . Definitely not for the faint hearted but well worth the value and it was his birthday!!!!!
Our next event was the Get Set Gourmet, where two contestants get to prepare a meal with the hotels top chefs. My man was in heaven when he got to cook again with Pete and from their rather unimaginative ingredients both contestants made excellent starters, main course and sweet which the audience judged and he won!!!!! We all got to sample the fruits of their labours and Kev got to keep his chefs hat which Pete kindly signed for him.
Well I thought that was it , there did not seem anything more he could take part in but I was so wrong. We were chosen to take part in the Perfect couple which was a great laugh and was won by Mark and Joanna (who the next day proposed in front of all of us to his lovely girlfriend . Congratulations both of you )
Our other days were not so jam packed but we enjoyed wandering around the grounds and castle. Top marks to the staff for being so friendly from Lucy our table waitress who always made sure we had water on our table and always had a big smile, to Neil the bar manager and Rob who served the Pimms on the best of Brits Fete where we had a go at sheep racing , hook a duck etc all in aid of the Royal British Legion.
The entertainment team worked really hard with brilliant performances every night as well as hosting the quizzes and other events
But special thanks have to got to Pete and Keith the two chefs who really made it a birthday to remember for my man.

Hello,

What lovely comments, I am so happy to see that you had such a wonderful time with us.

It seems that your partner enjoys cooking, and a big well done for winning the Get, set Gourmet!!

I am sorry that on this occasion your room was not the perfect room for you, but if you book again, call us direct and we will be happy to help you find the perfect room for you.

I am so happy that your partner had such a great time on his birthday break and we hope to see you again very soon.

Regards, Gary Johnson GM
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband & i stayed for two nights 23rd to 25th August, the staff are fantastic & can't do enough to help, the room was lovely even though it was a standard it was spotless. The food was really good with plenty of choice. I only have a couple of little niggles. That the restaurant closed too early last sitting was 8pm, & the other was we could'nt get a seat to watch the show so sat outside the bar as we could'nt get a seat in there either, we had a couple of drinks then back to our room to watch TV. But all in all we had a lovely time & would go back.

Hello,

Thank you so much for your feedback, I am happy to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you would love to return and spend some more time with us.

I am sorry that you feel the restaurant dining times were not suitable for yourselves, this is something that we can look at and review with the restaurant management team. We have also had a re-count of the seating in the entertainments hall and we have plenty of seats for everyone. I understand that on occasions when busy, some of our guests may occupy a larger seating area that they do not need. In these times, my team are more than happy to assist in finding you a lovely table.

Please, when you return, if you need anything at all, we will be more than happy to help.

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

What an absolute gem of a hotel, right from arrival to the day of the departure the staff remained friendly, dedicated, enthusiastic and above all professional. Every single member of the team became our friends. Having mentioned my intention to propose to my partner whilst staying there Simon, Dawn and Bo flew into action and made it an even more memorable evening for which I will always be grateful. Every single aspect of this facility was to an incredibly high standard, the food was exceptional, the room was excellent, the spa facilities excellent , the grounds amazing, the entertainment team marvelous,extremely talented and professional. My only criticism is that our break at Bodelwyddan Castle had to come to an end. The whole experience was of a high quality and deserve recognition for the outstanding service. Mark and Joanna .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GaryJohnson1, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Hello,

I am so happy that you chose Bodelwyddan Castle hotel to celebrate your very special evening and create some everlasting memories.

How wonderful to see that my team helped you assist in proposing to your partner. Please accept a huge Congratulations from Myself and my team and we wish you all the best for your future together.

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments with regards to the team and the hotel.
We hope to see you again soon!!

Loughton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed at Bodelwyddan Castle Hotel for a four night break using it as a base to tour North Wales.
Pleasantly greeted while still in the car on arrival by a lady who asked if we would like our cases taken to our room. The gentleman delivering the cases to us was not the happiest of souls even when we did tip him but perhaps he was having a hard day.

We had a standard room with a patio. It was of a good size, clean and bright. No need to pay for the better quality rooms really unless you are ultra fussy.

Food was really excellent with a reasonable choice.

We did not take part in day time activities as we were touring and it is a good base for the main tourist spots of North Wales. Going to the top of Snowdon by train being one of our main highlights.

After dinner we quickly learnt not to go directly into the entertainment area as the first part of the evening is taken up with old time dancing which seemed to attract three or four couples at most on to the floor. I know that everyone has to be catered for but there must be so few people now that have even heard of things like the Brittania Saunter or Mayfair Quickstep let alone be capable of dancing them that it must be time to consign it to perhaps an afternoon tea dance. After this dancing each night there is a quiz or holiday camp style game which we also avoided.
Once all of that is out of the way the trio play music for dancing from the era of most of the guests (we are not far off 70) which is good although a change of beat occasionally or even a few more modern songs would be even better.

The shows by the entertainments team were really first class. They are very talented and put in a lot of effort. Not too sure about the entertainments manager however who is, perhaps, a little too brash and should give up “insulting” people until he learns from a proper comedian how to do this and make it amusing. Currently he appeared to be upsetting the few that he picked on. This same gentleman also told us at the welcome show on the first night that all of his team and indeed all of the other teams in the hotel were the friendliest of any in the Warners group. We would agree with that as all staff were very chatty with a great attitude. The only exception to this was the entertainments manager himself who totally blanked us at least three times whilst around the site which was very noticeable compared to other staff members.

Just put some personal niggles in here which others may not agree with but overall this is a great hotel with great people in a setting that is truly splendid and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Standard room with patio in Llewelyn Hall was very good
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GaryJohnson1, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Hello,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your feedback.

Your comments have been gratefully received and we use these to regularly review the services and products we offer as we constantly strive to improve what we provide for our guests.

Hopefully next time you visit we will be even better!!

Epsom, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Great location for exploring Angelsey, Snowdonia area and general North Wales area. Beautiful setting and gardens, plenty of colourful flowers in hanging baskets and tubs. Stayed in a standard room which was large, clean and adequate. Drinks vending machine on ground floor. Food was generally of a reasonable standard both the carvery/Buffett and the a la carte, although some was very salty for my taste. This weekend was Motown themed entertainment, with jimmy James and the Vagabonds on Saturday night. What a great singer and entertainer, would definitely look out for him at another Warner location. The main entertainment area is not big enough to seat all the guests for the shows and feels very much like a working mans club. Simon, the entertainment manager was very hi-de-hi and too cheesy for me. His 'humour' was more about belittling people rather than fun. Also on the Best of British night, apparently twice a week, Simon and entertainment team parade through restaurant while you are eating with a megaphone singing to the wartime music Staff were generally friendly and helpful. No big moans, all in all an enjoyable weekend, but could do without the holiday camp quizzes etc.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is lovely to read all of your comments.

As you can see from many of the other comments, that lots of our guests enjoy the entertainment provided by our in house team, I can only apologise that on this occasion it was not to your taste.

With regards to Jimmy James and the Vagabonds, he will be hopefully booked at one of our locations for 2014 and should you require any help to find this out and book, do not hesitate to call us.

Kind regards Gary Johnson GM

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel? Share your experiences!