“Authentic Italian” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Chippenham, England, United Kingdom
“Authentic Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Fabulous customer service, could not be improved upon, outstanding. Child friendly, reasonably priced and a great location.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Ware, United Kingdom
“Authentic italian experience - just wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

I have been visiting Barmouth with my family since I was a toddler, and we have always made time to visit Tony's restaurant. It is an absolutely wonderful place to go, and I am truly shocked to read some of the bad reviews on here. Tony is a warm and welcoming host who does his best to make you feel at home in his restaurant. He does this in an informal and friendly manner (with a few cheesy but well meant lines thrown in along the way) so if you are wanting a pretentious host who is more removed from his diners, then you won't get that here. The restaurant is small and intimate with tables often booked out - so don't be surprised if you don't book and are turned away, 'tis the nature of a well loved restaurant - and the decor is rustic and homely, not clinical and boring. Yes, Tony has lots of memorabilia from the past, but who wouldn't with 29 years under their belt?? In the evenings you may well find Tony with a glass of something in his hand chatting to his guests and I find this charming as opposed to intrusive.
The food is authentic Italian cuisine with focus on taste rather than poncey presentation, and I have never had better pizza or pasta. Prices are pretty average for most independent restaurants and I notice that the reviewer who complained about the expense had opted for the menu options of steak and seafood which will always cost slightly more.
I think it's clear that I love this restaurant, as do my family, and most of the people I have spoken to locally over the years. If you go expecting an informal and homely atmosphere with good italian food, you won't be disappointed.

• Visited July 2013
Calne, United Kingdom
“Quirky, Friendly & Tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

First time for us and our dog Bobby in this stunningly beautiful part of Wales. Saw this little restaurant on our approach to our village destination of LLandbedr, thought Oh that looks strange and thought nothing more of it apart from Italian in Wales!
5 nights in we decided to get a while you wait freshly made Pizza from the little trailer next to the restaurant. IT WAS WONDERFUL and lovingly made by Tonys son, never thought I would rave about a pizza but there you are. Whilst waiting we enquired about the restaurant and were told to come back the next night and Yes we did not have to leave the dog in the car park as there was a small room for us to sit in. As the pizza had been so good we gave it a go. Tony was very welcoming, the restaurant room was very busy and it was only Wednesday. The staff were very attentive and polite. The food was very tasty and several times we were asked if everything was to our liking. My husband does not like Italian (or so he says) however his fillet steak and pepper sauce seemed to disappear well enough, and my baked cod was cooked beautifully and tasted fabulous. We also did something we have never done in the 28 years we have known eachother - shared a pudding! Tony recommended a sweet and he was right.
This restaurant although other reviews say it needs upgrading seemed to us like a home that was precious to Tony and his family and as such as you walk through the door be respected for it's quirky Italian warmth, and is a testament to Tonys late wife who was Italian and that is where the true Italian spirit of the place lives on.
Authentic? We think so and we thank you for the experience.

PS - We don't want all dog owners to think it's an open house for their pooch as some people don't like dogs but if your dog is trained properly and does not cause any fuss then they may be allowed in.

• Visited May 2014
Alcester, United Kingdom
“Great steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Visited Tony's for the 3rd time, and again was not disappointed.
Hadn't booked, restaurant was very busy but we were accommodated.
Great steak, cooked as requested, plenty of food, you never leave hungry. Took some friends along who stated " best gammon served in a long time".
Good customer service and exceptional house red
Some aspects of the restaurant people may find dated, I think it adds to the charm, along with Tony's stories a great evening all round.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Poor! Over priced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Below average food and over priced. Decor is dated and in need of a face lift. The Menu is plastic and tables and chairs are wobbly. My steak was over cooked and swimming in a very creamy peppercorn sauce. We Wont be returning. We have tried Tonys a few times and have been left disappointed every time. Service is ok ish although the waiter had a bad case of body odour. There are nicer placer to eat at a fraction of the cost.

• Visited April 2014