“Very nice, but we were starving!” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
North Yorkshire
“Very nice, but we were starving!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We ended up in Barmouth at 7.30pm after a day on Snowdon. We wandered round looking for somewhere to eat but the food places all seemed a bit like cafes or greasy spoons. (One place looked ok but was closed and one pub had live music on that night and I didn't want to rush a meal to get out before the live music, I wasn't in the mood for noise) anyway with little other choice we ended up in the Inglenook.

We had to wait nearly an hour for a table as they were so busy so we sat in the courtyard as there was no room at all in the small waiting area inside. The staff were clearly rushed off their feet. Apparently they weren't expecting to be so busy. We eventually got our table and I had Lemon Sole with crab, lobster and prawn sauce (£14) and my husband had Cod Creole (£10), the food was very nice but there wasn't much of it, which is different to another review I read on here saying the portions were too big and therefore wasteful. Matter of opinion I think but when you've been out walking all day you do want at least average size portions and these were definitely on the small side in my opinion. Some people had to wait over 40 mins to be offered a dessert menu but having noticed that I ordered our desserts when they took the empty plates away (we already knew what we wanted) so we got ours straight away as it was getting late and we were tired and just wanted to get finished and go back to our lodge.

All in all I would recommend it and be happy to return there, but as I said before, we were desperate and starving so anything was going to be acceptable by that point! I suggest booking if you plan to eat there.

Another thing to note, you can't pay by debit or credit card. Not sure if they take cheques, We paid in cash. One other thing! The toilets are outside but are very nice and clean.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

55% Recommend
Wales
“A nice restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Excellent service from friendly waiting staff. It was a busy Saturday night but we were seen to very promptly. The food was enjoyable. I had the dressed crab whilst my wife had the monkfish. The atmosphere was lively since the restaurant was full. My wife and I will definitely recommend this restaurant to our family and friends.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Northampton, United Kingdom
“poor dull ordinary overpriced scallop ?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

we were told our table would be ready at 8.30 we arrived to be asked to sit in a poorly furnished room we had to ask for a drink while we waited another half our our order was taken but no drink arrived eventually we were shown to our table we thought we were in a tea shoppe my wife ordered monk fish cooked in butter which must have burned off in the micro wave I on the other hand do not like fish so I ordered the speciality of the house steak"steak inglenook"which eventually arrived then the waitress said the chef had forgotten the special sauce which arrived in micro wave dish having poured it onto my steak I found out it was the wrong sauce,the waitress was young inexperienced and surly when you look at the outside of the restuarant and see seafood restaurant you expect a nice meal when in fact you get stale micro wave ping food do yourself a favour and go to one of the local chip shops where you will get fresh propably cooked food

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Lichfield, England, United Kingdom
“after visits to several restaurants and pubs for a meal we decided to have a fish meal for a change”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We decided to eat at the Inglenook restaurant. this was after looking at the menu the day before. We were not disappointed - food was excellent and the young guy and girl who served us was very polite and helpful. The food reasonably priced.We both had a prawn cocktail starter which was delicious and for the main i had the trout and my wife had the mixed fish platter, this was followed by a desert and coffee, it was busy with a lively atmosphere with about 7 other tables being used while we were there. The service and food was excellent the place was very clean including the toilets which are outside. We was quite surprised and impressed especially as the poor reviews they had been receiving. We do go out regularly for meals and enjoy good food with a glass of wine which again is reasonably priced. This was our first visit to this restaurant, we were very impressed and will definitely return and eat at The Inglenook again, and will reccomend it to family and freinds, those who are fish lovers anyway, The fact that you pay by cash is fairly irrelevant, a very enjoyable experience, for meat lovers the clue is in the name, sea food restaurant. a very happy Kieron and Caryn Larsen.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cotswolds
“Good food, roomy restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

The service and food was very good.

Although an old and historic building the interior is very plainly decorated. Personally I would have liked to see a more homely style of decoration and perhaps some unobtrusive background music. The quietness meant conversation was subdued as you were all too aware of other peoples discussions. That said, the tables were spaced apart with plenty of room, certainly not a case of chairs banging the person behind which is so common elsewhere. Unfortunately there is no view of the harbour although it is close. The only windows look out to someone's garden where a line of washing was hanging out, I admit this isn't the fault of the restaurant but perhaps some carefully arranged planting could be done in the courtyard which would improve the romantic atmosphere somewhat. In fact, the courtyard itself would be a good place to eat out in on a summer evening after careful landscaping.

The prices of food and drinks were very reasonable in my opinion, for the less adventurous food wise there was scampi or plaice and chips as well as steaks on the menu so I would certainly advise you to visit.

• Visited June 2012