“Consistently good honest food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Portsmouth, UK
“Consistently good honest food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I have stayed at the Gwbert hotel a couple of times now and normally choose to eat in Cardigan with colleagues. Last week ate for three consecutive evening in the Flat Rock bistro. I had a very good mixture of dishes from the menu and I can say that none of the meals I chose over the period disappointed at all.
The steaks served are always good cuts of beef sourced locally and accompaniments with each meal are plentiful and very well presented.
Service is always unhurried and very friendly at all times. One sometimes feels obliged to eat in at a hotel when there is no local competition but at the Flat Rock the choice is easy.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Cardigan, United Kingdom
“Sea views and slate plates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Well executed and precise cooking, sometimes served on slabs of slate. British-Welsh menu, with an up to date feel. A good wine list, fairly priced. The view (make sure you get the right tables) is memorable.

Bristol
“The best all rounder in cardigan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Visited the flat rock on Tusday night it was packed and I hadent booked so I had to wait for a table in the restaurant I wasn't expecting this at the end of September in a bistro in the middle of a small village.Orderd a glass of rose and sat in the bar until a table came free, very polite waitress took my order and within 20 minutes I had a table in the restaurant, the waiters were all very efficient nothing was to much trouble even asked me if I wanted my coat hung up in reception.
My sea bass was perfectly cooked, I had a dilema with the desert menu there was so much to chews from ended up having the home made toffee cheeses cake and an excellent espresso.
Although it is marketed as a bistro i think it caterd for every one with your basic scampi pub grub to my seabass I thought more fine dining than bistro.
I will be back again for the sticky toffee pudding when I visit again in October

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
somerset
“very good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Excellent value, we had salmon and lamb stew. Sweet potato chips definitely need a mention... delightful! Good puds, although I wasn't convinced the custard was homemade, but I could be wrong.. the cheesecake went down very well, good wine list, great view during the day...

Visited September 2012
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were recommended this bistro for our 1st wedding anniversary by the owner of the campsite where we were staying locally. And she was so right!!

The staff were so friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. They went out of their way to make sure our evening was everything we wanted it to be (and they didn't even know it was a special occasion!)

The food was exceptional. Perfectly cooked and the portions were just what you'd want - enough so you weren't hungry but leaving sufficient room for desert!!

We didn't see much of the hotel itself but the reception area looked well organised and welcoming.

We actually live 3 hours from it but even discussed coming back for a night at the hotel in the future just so we could eat there again as it was so good!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere