“Good local food, friendly staff and warm atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
London, United Kingdom
“Good local food, friendly staff and warm atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Ate here on a midweek evening last month during an overnight stay in Cardigan. Walked in with no booking at 8pm after a long coastal drive and were greeted and seated immediately by the friendly staff.

The Merlot was good; solid, drinkable and went well with the main course (beef), which was well cooked and presented.

Generally speaking, the menu looks excellent but flatters to deceive a bit on its execution. You feel that it could be better considering the price (the bill for 2 mains with bread and a bottle of win cames to £50 plus service).

When we were there, our table near the door wasn't as well lit as the bar area or others tables. To their credit, the staff provided more tea lights when we asked. However, it's a popular venue with families, and even late in the evening there were a number of small children in our vicinity.
It affected the atmosphere a bit, and maybe planning the way tables are laid out (e.g. having a family are) would allow for a better balanced atmosphere.

None the less, if you're in Cardigan, this is a good place to eat and seems to be very popular with locals and tourists alike.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Gloucester, England, United Kingdom
“Such a pity”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Let me start by saying this place has a great ethos, the whole idea is excellent. They really drew me in with the combination of casual dining and locally sourced ingredients - something I am hugely passionate about.

I took my wife and 2 daughters for dinner here as our one 'treat' meal out while camping. Sadly it fell very short of expectations which was very disappointing having chosen it for the one meal out we were having in 2 weeks.

The menu is reprinted weekly to allow for changes in season etc, however it was the same 2 weeks running when we visited. The menu is slightly confused as it doesn't seem to match their ethos in the pricing. They want to be a local eatery (according to the in house leaflet on the table) where local people go often, but with prices around £20 for a main course it's priced more for special occasions or even fine dining. The delivery fails to live up to the price I'm sad to say.

My girls both ordered the kids burgers, which were tasty but quite dry and neither was finished. My wife ordered crab cakes from the starters as her main course, which was cheerfully agreed to by the waitress, though they were flavourful they were also quite soggy and again were not finished. We all had triple cooked chips which were very disappointing and soft, not crisp in the least. I ordered the Welsh Black Beef Sirloin, medium as I like this cut. It. Was. AWFUL! Firstly my 'medium' steak was little more than 'blue' - a good shock would have brought it back to life. It was also lukewarm at the most, full of fat and sinew, and tough as old boots. So I spent about 15 minutes trying to get the attention of anyone 'serving' and eventually sent it back, by which time it was too late to rectify as the rest of my party had finished eating. The waitress told me she had pointed this out to the chef but no response was made from him/her. It was as near raw as you could think.

On talking to the waitress, who was very apologetic about it, she told me it was because their supplier had been letting them down with poor quality meat. While I don't doubt this, it doesn't account for the huge degree to which it was undercooked or in fact say anything about why they were still serving it when they already clearly knew about it! Surely the 'chef' can see it is such poor quality and take it off the menu? Or maybe make it into something else perhaps slower cooked with a sauce to allow for the toughness and fat content? Now having read previous reviews it seems other people have experienced this here which makes it all the more annoying that it was then served to me for £22. Surely if you know something is a problem you would stop ordering it and stop serving it?

I should point out that once I got her attention the server was very apologetic, and didn't charge me for either the main or for my dessert by way of an apology which, while tasty, would have otherwise been quite expensive.

I consider myself quite knowledgeable about food I have my own food website, I am an occasional mystery diner (not in this case of course), and I do ok in the kitchen myself, so I am not somebody who just likes to complain or doesn't know what a good steak or menu should be. I have to say though that while the ethos is admirable the restaurant simply fails to deliver on it. The chef demonstrated a real lack of skill/knowledge in all of the dishes which ranged from passable to inedible. The servers, while friendly and very apologetic, were far too busy chatting behind the bar to take notice of the customers despite it being very quiet at 6pm on a weeknight, not that you would know it from the 45 minute wait for food after ordering. The ethos got entirely lost/confused by the poor execution, the gastropub menu with drastic overpricing, and the apparent lack of care/knowledge from the chef who could have saved us having our evening ruined by simply checking the quality of the meat and perhaps practising his cooking skills.

Very, very disappointing. I would avoid this place until they get back on track with regards to their supplier and their chef.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Preston, England, United Kingdom
“Meal for a special occasion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We didn't have a starter, but what came next was delicious. Bob had the steak, with a blue cheese sauce. Myself, went for the lamb.
Superb, ingredients, wholesome and very tasty.
Pudding, we decided on the cheese board for two, to share.
Would highly recommend this restaurant. It is extremely popular, and had to book a reservation here.
Well worth a visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Phenomenal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We loved this place so much we came back a second time in the space of a few days on our holiday. Really relaxed friendly athmosphere and amazingly considerate staff. They spotted our kids getting restless and hungry and volunteered a basket of their home made bread to keep them happy while their food came. The bread was incredible home baked fresh bread that they had made on site that morning. The food lived up to the standard, We had the best salt beef sandwich this side of the atlantic and a real quality fish cake. We'd come out of our way to come back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newport, United Kingdom
“Best of west Wales”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

This restaurant is a really great place. You can pop in for breakfast,just a coffee or have a fantastic lunch or dinner. The food is locally sourced but selected for quality and taste. Delicious breads and cakes, imaginative meals with plenty of variety. The serving staff are helpful and polite and really contribute to making any visit here a pleasure. Will revisit soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere