“Great Value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rodel Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Isle of Harris
Rodel Hotel
You added Rodel Hotel to your Saves list
HS5 3TW, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Isle of Harris
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed here mid July 2013. The room was very comfortable and the food excellent.The staff are worth a mention being particularly friendly and attentive.
Overall, we found this hotel to be excellent value for money and would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We first visited this hotel about five years ago staying in the hotel, we were very pleased with the room, meal and feel of the place.
HOWEVER, again we visited but stayed in the self catering accommodation for three nights, finding the hotel to be fairly overpriced. The unit was very clean and spacious allowing for up to four people to stay there only the beds upstairs were single and uncomfortable and the downstairs sleeping arrangments are a sofa bed. To me the self catering unit was basic offering a good cooking/eating area but the seating lounge bedrooms and bathroom was not very comfortable The bathroom only had a shower in it and the water went everywhere as there was a curtain and it would have been much better served as a wet room or put over a bath, which there was room for.

We ate in the restaurant three nights and each time the food was well cooked only I felt that it was either overly seasoned or not seasoned enough. Also felt that the whole atmosphere at the Rodel was somewhat lost, it had no character left. There was nobody in the bar areas from the local area and the restaurant didnt have a holiday 'buzz' that you would expect. I felt that the menus for lunch offered a greater variety than the evening menu, however we ordered a packed lunch one day which was very disappointing and extremely overpriced, definitely not value for money at £17 for two people.

The Rodel is in a superb position and has the potential to be so much more but feel that the ambience and holiday feel has gone from this place. The staff were absolutely great and couldnt do enough for you, they were very friendly and accommodating.

I dont want to rate this hotel/self catering and restaurant down as it has some truly wonderful features. Unfortunately it didnt deliver for me this year and I am not sure that I would revisit.

Room Tip: Excellent picturesque location by the sea, out of the way from hustle and bustle. Mobility may be...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Booked a twin room for me and my pal for just the one night and I wish it were for more, but it was the end of our road trip around the Hebrides. Although you might be tempted to turn back at the look of the outside of the hotel, indoors more than makes up for it. Our twin room was huge, and although it was August, it was chilly that night and the heating was excellent, came on straight away and we were roasting in no time.

Food is excellent, although it is expensive. Considering the cost of a room (£145 per night) it would have been nice to have a television to watch. Free wi-fi is available, although in the bedrooms it's very patchy.

On the whole a lovely place, and I look forward to going back again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed here for three nights. The Owners and staff were very helpful and willing to assist. The food is wonderful, lots of local fresh fish and seafood. I would agree with the other reviews do not be put off by the outside appearance, the inside is to a very high standard. One nice little touch is the residents lounge!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I made a casual visit for a pint of beer and then returned the next day for lunch. You have to go turn right down the drive just before you get to the drive. It can appear uninviting, but do not be deterred. The hotel is grey on the outside, rather in keeping with the rocky harbour but well done out inside. The food was homemade. Potato, parsley & bacon soup was great. I had roll mop herring and potato salad which was delicious. My son's hunter's pie was venison based and delicious too. Just needed a few more people in the restaurant. After lunch there is a lovely harbor and bay to explore right next to the hotel. Sadly not but busy enough to need to book. The toilets were the most pristine I think I have ever seen. My only slight criticism was that the owner, followed by his handy man continuously walked through the dining room on their way backwards and forwards from one side of the room to the other. My suggestion would be they find a route which avoids the dining room during their lunchtime service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Inverness
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed here in July 2013 with my partner and our 4 year old boy. The hotel is clean and friendly, and serves very good food and wine. The chef/owner is a lovely chap and we enjoyed his company. The room we had was large and comfortable. Only negative was the noise from the room above - a mature couple seemed to be very much enjoying their stay... I cant fault the hotel for this though!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Isle of Lewis, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We spend half the year in the Western Isles and make a point of eating at the Rodel several times during our stay. The location is superb, as are the welcome from the staff and the meals served. There are never many staff on duty but they are always friendly and efficient and the owner seems quite happy to assist when necessary. The chef is very accommodating to my unusual onion and sea food allergy ... and is quite happy to come to to the table and discuss various options. I highly recommend this venue and maybe we will stay for a night next time we are in the Western Isles.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Amhuinnsuidhe Castle
Amhuinnsuidhe Castle
#1 of 10 in Isle of Harris
5.0 of 5 stars 23 reviews

Been to Rodel Hotel? Share your experiences!