“Great place for a break” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ceilidh Place

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ullapool
The Ceilidh Place
You added The Ceilidh Place to your Saves list
18 West Argyle Street, Ullapool IV26 2TY, Scotland   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Ullapool
Fort William
“Great place for a break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Just came back from my last stay at the Ceilidh Place; have been twice before, I think. I've never been in the summer season, so don't know how busy it would be then. Now it was relatively quiet, which I rather appreciate. I love the set up of the hotel; the fact that there is a wonderful lounge upstairs for the hotel guests, then there is the kitchen where you can make your tea and coffee, and then enjoy in the lounge or take back to your room. Rooms and bathrooms are of a good standard, but there is no phone or television (and that suits me absolutely); there's a radio, and more importantly, there's a shelf of books in each room. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, cakes, all of a really good standard and the food is just that wee bit different and rather healthy too! Laundry services being offered, as well as the option of ordering a packed lunch. There's also a good selection of newspapers on hand.
There are regular concerts at the Ceilidh Place (missed one this time), and they have a bookshop on the premises. A good bar, and a bar for hotel guests if they don't want to be in the public bar. Obviously this all can be found on their website, but still; it is why I like the place so much.
Very friendly and accommodating atmosphere; I will definitely be going back.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This is a truly amazing place to stay! What a location, and what a gorgeous hotel. The rooms are lovely, with big comfy bed and classy decor, and the lounge with honesty bar is a super place to relax. We were lucky with the weather, so enjoyed sitting out on the balcony overlooking Ullapool.

The quirky and friendly staff made us feel welcome and entertained us with their chat. We ate in the restaurant both evenings and were v impressed both evenings, especially with the lobster. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Gent, België
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2014

I stayed last minute at the bunkhouse of Ceilidh Place. Although staff was really friendly and I heard amazing things about the hotel and restaurant, the bunkhouse was another category. It was old, dirty, my curtain fell off and the beds were not comfortable. I don't mind these things if they offer it on budget price. They asked way too much money for a room in this state.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2014

Thought this place was really great - quirky, nice friendly staff, good varied menu which staff could cater to my dietary requirements, and nice, fresh food. They managed to seat us without reservation when they were busy, so we didn't have to wait!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Montrose, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

We were on our way back from a glorious cottage stay on Tanera Mor & decided to finish our holiday with a night at the Ceilidh Place. We have been there before & so know what to expect; what it is & what it is not. What it is, is like staying in a mix of a gallery & the library of a big house; lots of lovely contemporary paintings & prints, quiet-making rugs and curtains; a comfortable lounge full of wee places to sit and read & where you can help yourself to tea and coffee or a dram from the honesty kitchen. Our room was very nicely decorated with good quality vintage/antique furniture including super high (princess & the pea high) twin beds (no double available :(), a nice wee bathroom with large bottles of shampoo & bubble bath (for you to use but not really take way with you) & thick white towelling robes. In the bedrooms were a careful selection of books...not just ones that other guests have left behind! We had been late arriving and the receptionist thoughtfully suggested putting our dinner booking back to give us time to get ready. We had a latish meal in the restaurant, near the wood burner stove. Between courses my partner went to the bookshop and found a few books which he paid for at the bar...YES YOU CAN BUY BOOKS AT THE BAR! HOW COOL IS THAT! (sorry...having a restaurant with a bookshop attached is pretty much my dream place). The food was good, nice advice from staff...a miscommunication resulted in my being served a white wine rather than a red I thought I was getting and the waitress couldn’t have been nicer about swapping it for a Cabernet.
Don’t get me wrong…I love a motel stop watching trashy TV and eating a pizza in a reliably predictable room & wee toiletry freebies to take way (tho come on that is pretty wasteful) but that is not what you will get here; there are no corporate clones working at the Ceilidh place, folk there are real, warm people who do have opinions sometimes. I was pretty offended by some of the other reviews who seem to think the model for working in a hotel is based on Downton Abbey…that the staff should be seen and not heard! There wasn't a TV in the room, and if you would like tea & coffee you just skip along to the residents lounge and help yourself. The lovely, atmospheric restaurant is prone to spring a few leaks in heavy rain but so what. There was no shower in our room but there was a big bath with lots of hot water. The other thing the Ceilidh Place is not is cheap though. It’s more of a treat than an economy base for a holiday. But there…go on and treat yourself anyway!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2014

I love the Ceilidh Place, and over the years have stayed, eaten and had drinks here many times. The food is consistently excellent, there is always a great selection of beer and I love the quirkiness of the staff and surroundings.
Having stayed (in the bunkhouse on this occasion) recently, however, I have picked up on a few negatives.
Firstly, the restaurant area is becoming quite tired and dated. The wooden panelling and glass extension to the rear have seen better days. The restaurant is by no means cheap, so one would expect surroundings to match this premium.
The staff seem to be accommodated in the bunkhouse. On a few occasions over our stay, off-duty staff were gathered at the front of the bunkhouse, singing and playing instruments. On one occasion, there also seemed to be smoking of illicit materials going on. It looks bad to guests - maybe staff should be urged to congregate at the back of the building, out of guests' sight?
Lastly, we visited just before the recent Independence Referendum. We took a break in this week specifically to get away from the politics, however, on arrival at The Ceilidh Place the receptionist was wearing a badge and talking at length to other guests about the benefits of his opinion. Over the course of our stay, another badged mamber of staff tried to engage us in conversation on the topic. I don't feel that this was very professional - we were ON HOLIDAY! I also don't understand why a business such as this would want to alienate 50-odd percent of their custom by expressing an opinion. If this were my business, the subject would have been banned.
It's a shame that these points have tarnished my opinion of The Ceilidh Place, but you really do expect better of somewhere that charges a premium for a hotel room. I might go back for a drink in the future, but I doubt I'll be staying there.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2014

Very good meal, as good as anything we'd expect to get in an good city restaurant. Nice and fresh ingredients, and really very good service delivered by an enthusiastic young waiting team, who wwerer attentive and had a good knowledge of the menu and indeed the wide range of malts on offer with out coffee.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ceilidh Place? Share your experiences!