“Just The Job” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mallard Hotel

Mallard Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gullane
Mallard Hotel
East Links Road, Gullane EH31 2AF, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Gullane
Wetherby, United Kingdom
“Just The Job”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Six of us on golfing trip, as previous reviewers have said the rooms are in need of some updating but all of ours were clean and everything worked O.K!, this hotel has a kind of quintisential charm that is hard to find these days, the breakfast whilst not massive was cooked freshly and the quality of produce used could not be faulted (try the ham it is delicious), the location of the Mallard is fantastic & worth the nightly rate alone, the next time we tour this area we will be back here!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
SusanLaw, Owner at Mallard Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your very positive comments following your recent stay at the Mallard.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed the breakfasts - especially the home cooked ham! - the service and level of cleanliness.

As you say the Mallard has a charm all of its own and has a brilliant location. We look forward to welcoming you to the Mallard again on your next trip. Susan Law

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
East Lothian
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My husband and I went here for bar lunch. When we went in there was another couple sitting in the bar/dining area and the time was about 1pm. Not a good sign I thought . The menu was very much like a canteen or school dinner affair. We ended up going for the haddock. When this arrived it was full of grease and not the best. The place is dated and the guy behind the bar was very dour and it seemed an effort to speak or even crack a smile. This place could be really great as its got a wonderful outlook across the golf courses, but its stuck in a time warp and without a doubt needs a revamp of décor as well as the food.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SusanLaw, Owner at Mallard Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
We are sorry that you did not recieve the customary warm welcome when you visited the Mallard. We pride ourselves on the hospitality we offer and since your comments we have redoubled our efforts to ensure that all members of staff extend the same welcome that my husband and I would.

The hotel is of traditional character , featuring hand sewn tapertries, antique items and log fires which we appreciate may not be to everyone's taste but we feel are in keeping with this older building.

We also regret that the menu,offering mainly traditional home cooked fare with daily changing specials was not to your liking. Your server on the day should certainly have enquired how your meal was and iffered you another item from the menu.

The outlook as you say is wonderful giving beautiful views over Gullanes famous golf courses. If, for this view alone, you might be tempted to return please do let me know and give us the chance to show you the usual warmth that guests can expect. Susan Law
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Mallard is in need of updating unless you are into the style of the 70's breakfast was ok but nit great but could hardly be described as a full scottish breakfast. My room dull brown in all respects and in the roof with sloping ceilings, bath didn't get hot enough but good shower. Fixtures not properly secured, curious picture frame in the bathrom without any content.We didn't eat here given the nature of the breakfast that didn't inspire confidence. Hoever in an expensive resort you are unlikely to find anything else within this price range. Not a bad hotel, basically clean but not particularly welcoming, in need of tlc and attention to detail (biscuits with the coffee making facilities anyone?)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
"On wing and a prayer"

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your recent stay at the Mallard.

I am sorry that your experience was not entirely positive.

Although the business has been in my family for 50 years we do try to keep reineventing ourselves and offering our guests something new. However it seems that with the breakfast offered, the freshly baked bread and home made preserved are not what you would expect of a breakast in 2013. Since your coments we have been looking afresh at our breaklfast menu to see what esle we can add to what is a fairly traditional choice.

As is quite obvious, from the exterior, the hotel is an old building, with odd nooks and cranies which, we like to think, add to its character. I am sorry that the choice of decor used in your room was not to your liking but we are glad the the recently installed shower was appreciated.

We also thank you for your positive comments on value for money and level of cleanliness in the hotel.

We do however take on board your comments, not so positve, on the warmth of the welcome you received . We also are looking into your suggestion about offering biscuits with the tea and coffee in the bedrooms.

We hope that we can persuade you to return to the Mallard in the future and perhaps, inspired by an improved breakfast, partake of a meal in the evening.

Best wishes Susan & Cameron Law
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

When I arrived to The Mallard Hotel I was simply given my keys and not shown my room or told any information about breakfast/ dinner times, wifi availability, where my room was or even where the bar and breakfast room was. Anything I required I had to ask for, I was never given an option.
The atmosphere was dour, no background music of any kind and I had to ring the bell to order my meal and drink. The food is school dinner-esque, but gratefully accepted after a days drive, and not too bad. (Just wont win any awards on presentation).
Next time I'm in Gullane I will probably stay at a b&b and eat out elsewhere in the evenings. The overall experience wasn't bad, just completely average.

• Stayed March 2013
SusanLaw, Owner at Mallard Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience of the Mallard Hotel.

I am sorry that you found the atmosphere less that lively. We have thus far resisted the trend towards background music but have been dicussing it again since your review so we may in future install it.

The greeting you received on check in falls well short of what I would expect of our staff. Since your comments we have tightened up on checking in procedure to ensure that a guest checking in is given full information on the hotel and its layout, services and so on. i regret that this was not as warm a reception as you could expect.

The menu in the bar changes regularly throghout the season, with daily changing specials. We try to use local, seasonal produce, where we can. All of our food is home cooked by our chef and myself, so while you found it not exciting, customers can at least be assured that it is good honest food.

If you will consider returning to the Mallard please do let me know and we can perhaps show you a livelier side to this long established family hotel.

Best wishes, Susan & Cameron Law
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This traditional slightly old fashioned hotel was where we stayed for our holiday to Edinburgh. It was perfect for us in that it combined excellent service, good pub style food ( Occasional surprises on the specials menu like Haggis cakes with whisky sauce) and great value for money with peace and quiet.....It is also a perfect location for the golf courses at Gullane. Wi fi available on the ground floor.
It is not difficult to get to Edinburgh from here as there is a local train that runs from Drem into Waverley station which is in the centre of Edinburgh. We also drove into Edinburgh making use of the free parking at the Ocean Terminal ( Shops and the site of the Royal Yacht Britannia )
From the Ocean Terminal it is just a short bus journey into Edinburgh.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Service with a Smile

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience of the Mallard.

Although we are mainly a golfing hotel, I am glad that you appreciated the excellent travel links to Edinburgh.

We do hope that you will visit again. Best wishes Susan & Cameron Law
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I love the mallard, it has everything you want, wether you want a romantic beach walk or to go riding it has all. Staff are all very nice, if you ask for something to get done it's done, all the food is very nice as I keep on wanting more, very family friendly, great fun and WOOP were coming back soon! Can't wait all the best till then

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Keiran,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience of the Mallard.

We look forward to welcoming you back. Best wishes, Susan & Cameron Law

Been to Mallard Hotel? Share your experiences!